New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New keyboard player

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 09:48 Jet worked with Jim of course and why wouldn't he? I'm sure Jim appreciated Jets tips, after all they are Jet's patterns and he did mentor Jim. Lt Kudu.
Judging by that video of "Nuclear Device" that was posted recently it sounds like hardly any (if any) "mentoring" went on as he's clearly NOT playing exactly what it is on the record, which Jet naturally would have done. In fact, come to think of it I haven't heard Toby nail any of Dave's solos perfectly either - he's seemed to put his own spin on the solos to "Nuclear Device", "No More Heroes" and even "Go Buddy Go", which is fine but it's the sort of thing that John Ellis used to get utterly crucified for when he was in the band.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Ruby wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 14:04 I suppose your idol does his shows for free.
I'm unsure who or what you're referring to here, but generally if I pay money to go and see an artist or a band I want to see who is advertised.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

he's seemed to put his own spin on the solos to "Nuclear Device", "No More Heroes" and even "Go Buddy Go", which is fine but it's the sort of thing that John Ellis used to get utterly crucified for when he was in the band.
You know the rules - we aren't allowed to criticise a band member until JJ gives us the nod.

I like that he's playing it slightly differently, it shows he's adding something and mixing it up a bit. If he didn't it would just be rote and lack something.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 15:44 You know the rules - we aren't allowed to criticise a band member until JJ gives us the nod.
Hahaha! Indeed.
Yanders wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 15:44 I like that he's playing it slightly differently, it shows he's adding something and mixing it up a bit. If he didn't it would just be rote and lack something.
While I understand where you're coming from in a way, I feel the combined sum of Jim's relatively heavy handed playing (plus the way he plays around with the cymbal crashes and fills in comparison with the originals), Toby's slight deviations from what Dave played (and Dave was always VERY particular about playing it EXACTLY as it was on the record) and Baz's less-than-ideal voice is partly what gives this current line-up its "tributey" feel. None of what I've seen and/or heard so far from the recent gigs has looked, sounded or felt right at all.
laurie

Post by laurie »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 01:10
Yanders wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 15:44 You know the rules - we aren't allowed to criticise a band member until JJ gives us the nod.
Hahaha! Indeed.
Yanders wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 15:44 I like that he's playing it slightly differently, it shows he's adding something and mixing it up a bit. If he didn't it would just be rote and lack something.
While I understand where you're coming from in a way, I feel the combined sum of Jim's relatively heavy handed playing (plus the way he plays around with the cymbal crashes and fills in comparison with the originals), Toby's slight deviations from what Dave played (and Dave was always VERY particular about playing it EXACTLY as it was on the record) and Baz's less-than-ideal voice is partly what gives this current line-up its "tributey" feel. None of what I've seen and/or heard so far from the recent gigs has looked, sounded or felt right at all.
Spot on
do you wanna
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Just watched “Tank”. I noticed a couple of differences from the LP. Perhaps in the songs section we could start a new area called “Picky Bastards” for song differences when played live?
Perhaps start with Live XCert and take it from there?
I’ve never forgiven Hugh for “Oh Oh Oh Oh” at the beginning of Grip, as it’s clearly not audible on the original studio recording?
And where the hell is “Wanker” on Dead Ringer?

Loved the latest Tank version, and genuinely like both Jim and Toby’s playing. In fact, compared to Jet’s hod carrier playing in the late 80s (see All Day live version of London Lady for details) , Jim’s playing is easier on my ears. As for Toby, it’s been great to see him fit in, and genuinely hope Pam G feels similar.

Cannot wait to see all this live. Twice.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 20:55 I’ve never forgiven Hugh for “Oh Oh Oh Oh” at the beginning of Grip, as it’s clearly not audible on the original studio recording?
Of course, these are bad comparison points because there's a hell of a difference between a count-in and audience heckles vs. differences in keyboard parts that Dave Greenfield played exactly the same way night after night after night proving that they were actually properly composed parts and not bursts of improvisation.
Skindeep81
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Skindeep81 »

Nothing but admiration for the guy to come in and join the band in truly difficult circumstances.
strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

Skindeep81 wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 21:28 Nothing but admiration for the guy to come in and join the band in truly difficult circumstances.
Well said
See You At The Bar
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

jonimac wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 20:55 Just watched “Tank”. I noticed a couple of differences from the LP. Perhaps in the songs section we could start a new area called “Picky Bastards” for song differences when played live?
Perhaps start with Live XCert and take it from there?
I’ve never forgiven Hugh for “Oh Oh Oh Oh” at the beginning of Grip, as it’s clearly not audible on the original studio recording?
And where the hell is “Wanker” on Dead Ringer?

Loved the latest Tank version, and genuinely like both Jim and Toby’s playing. In fact, compared to Jet’s hod carrier playing in the late 80s (see All Day live version of London Lady for details) , Jim’s playing is easier on my ears. As for Toby, it’s been great to see him fit in, and genuinely hope Pam G feels similar.

Cannot wait to see all this live. Twice.
I thought it was more "uh uh uh uh "😀 .What was that all about anyway ?
All quiet ..........
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 16:48
Mart wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 15:20 I think Daves health may have been a contributory factor in the decision to stop full tours, who knows what will happen now
££££££££££
££££££££££
££££££££££
££££££££££
I guess it all boils down to , do you want to see The Stranglers or not . If you do then the fact is this is the nearest you are ever going to get now , like it or not .If you don't like you don't go and be happy with various memories of previous line ups .Right now I am in two minds , never seen the band without Dave ....or Jet for that matter , but I do like the current album so have no objection to listening to some of that ( as long as it's not Lines , Breathe or Down 😡) , ok it's not NC or Suite level , but certainly better than the last thing they released . Do I want to see them without Dave or Jet ? Don't know right now , but certainly a lot will. Trouble is if Baz hears " I not the same without ......... " We risk another fucking MR . So anyone who goes and thinks that , shut the fuck up !
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Skindeep81 wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 21:28 Nothing but admiration for the guy to come in and join the band in truly difficult circumstances.
Of course that goes without saying, I really admire him, I see quite a lot of negative comments about its a tribute band now. That's been said ever since Hugh left, but I hope they won't continue if anything God forbid happens to JJ, they must be thinking of an end date for the band? But Jet said its last man standing, I have been impressed with what I have seen, but yesterday saw a particularly lacklustre version of GB, possibly the worst I've seen and it wasn't the keyboards, it was the vocals, it just doesn't suit Mr Warnes voice, I wish JJ would have a go at singing it, I think he would make a better job, it just looked a bit sad, sorry to be negative, but I have to say how i feel, I think Baz does a great job, but he really struggles with the mellower songs.Lt Kudu.