French Tour Set Opener....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: French Tour Set Opener....

Post by PaulinLondon »

jeromeinparis wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 19:56
Final note : 8,85/10
So basically, you gave the gig a 9/10 ? :smt006
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

BankMan wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 19:23 The issue for me is the setlist. It’s the same structure and format we’ve been seeing for the last 10-15 years. Some of the songs change every 4 or 5 years, but it’s the same old formula: some new stuff, greatest hits, one or two Mk3 songs and if you’re lucky a left field choice. And for FS we’re still getting GB and ATS mid set and NMH as the last encore
I can agree with this. They have more that enough material to play a majority of songs from NC, S16, Giants and DM, even some of the MKII stuff.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Tellingly, they didn't play anything from Giants. Given that Baz in an interview recently admitted that the record was "patchy", I'm beginning to wonder if they've mostly disowned the album. Which would make sense, because it isn't very good.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

jeromeinparis wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 19:56 it was great last night in Valenciennes.Really.
I did the trip from Paris. Alone... Slept just near the station, I couldn't wait to go back to paris this morning...
Valenciennes is not a very exciting city...

I was seated in the second row, just in front of JJ.

I thought they were going to start with And If You Should See Dave, but no, never ...

There was no real homage to Dave. JJ said Toby was Dave's clone, "he really is his clone".
From memory he must have said that after 30 minutes of the gig.

The solo on Walk On By was weak imo, but it's not easy to fit dave shoes I imagine.
Toby assured I find for a first live. But he's not Dave and it never will be.

On the other hand, the battery was too far forward. Boom Boom Boom.

Little boring with the same setlist since ages, but it's just my opinion.
You have to understand that people come for Always the Sun, Golden Brown, La folie (here in France), oui c'est la Folieeeee !

The highlight is White Stallion, my favorite Dark Matters track.
It was just amazing. I regretted not having filmed it.
JJ's vocals are crazy on this track.

We were all seated and masked.
Not because of the covid but it is the configuration of the venue. Superb acoustics.

The audience was on fire, not very young, but everybody was happy to be there (Here And There).
JJ was on top form, he joked a lot in French.

I have my ticket for London in February, but with the restrictions and Bojo, not sure I can go ...

I'm intrigued about how White Stallion would sound live?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:They'll be wanting to play it as safe as possible to appeal to as many people as possible and to make as much money as possible, because that is ultimately what all of this is all about.
Well let's remember the band haven't played live for what nearly 2 years?
And never played without Dave, or with Toby.
So don't blame them for not feeling very adventurous just yet..
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jeromeinparis wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 19:56 I thought they were going to start with And If You Should See Dave, but no, never ...

There was no real homage to Dave.
It's this part that I can't quite get my head around, particularly since this is supposed to be THE tribute tour in honour of Dave, right? Allegedly.
aldinblack wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 22:45 Well let's remember the band haven't played live for what nearly 2 years?
And never played without Dave, or with Toby.
So don't blame them for not feeling very adventurous just yet..
I get that musicians are obviously going to be a bit rusty when they haven't performed on stage for a while, although I'm led to believe that the band were "well rehearsed" before hitting the stage that night. This whole thing about The Stranglers being an adventurous group went out of the window a long time ago, I feel - this was the type of setlist that you could have predicted a mile away. Some did.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

jeromeinparis wrote:it was great last night in Valenciennes.Really.
I did the trip from Paris. Alone... Slept just near the station, I couldn't wait to go back to paris this morning...
Valenciennes is not a very exciting city...

I was seated in the second row, just in front of JJ.

I thought they were going to start with And If You Should See Dave, but no, never ...

There was no real homage to Dave. JJ said Toby was Dave's clone, "he really is his clone".
From memory he must have said that after 30 minutes of the gig.

The solo on Walk On By was weak imo, but it's not easy to fit dave shoes I imagine.
Toby assured I find for a first live. But he's not Dave and it never will be.

On the other hand, the battery was too far forward. Boom Boom Boom.

Little boring with the same setlist since ages, but it's just my opinion.
You have to understand that people come for Always the Sun, Golden Brown, La folie (here in France), oui c'est la Folieeeee !

The highlight is White Stallion, my favorite Dark Matters track.
It was just amazing. I regretted not having filmed it.
JJ's vocals are crazy on this track.

We were all seated and masked.
Not because of the covid but it is the configuration of the venue. Superb acoustics.

The audience was on fire, not very young, but everybody was happy to be there (Here And There).
JJ was on top form, he joked a lot in French.

I have my ticket for London in February, but with the restrictions and Bojo, not sure I can go ...

Nice review merci monsieur!
So drums were too loud and Toby did OK although sounds like there is room for improvement, which I'm sure will come with time.

A bit dissapointing to hear not much was done as a Dave tribute..
Was there not even a picture of him on the stage or anything at all?
I Hate You !
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes i agree there too about no Dave tribute with no mention well i'm saying nothing further it's not my band.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

I will be happy with that setlist when they play the UK. Especially if they include La Folie. Mind you, I wish they would drop Golden Brown (never good live). Chuck in Thrown Away instead. The best track to finish is Sewer, otherwise a punk tune like 5mins or Something Better Change. Glad there is no Mk2 in there. 4 tracks from DM is about right. Can't wait to hear White Stallion. Hope they continue gigging. Where else am I going to get my fix of these tunes being belted out by JJ? Life's too short to be standing on higher ground always...
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes i cannot wait to hear their live take on Stallion above everything else for me,also well done to Toby for getting his first night over and out of the way onwards and upwards,i don't think non musician's realise just how hard that is to debut with a band you've never played with on stage before playing to a audience who know every note played by this band and from someone who stood there playing the same equipment for 40 odd years playing for the first time their full set list, well i think he did amazing to come through all of that on his debut..well done toby!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

They're never going to drop "Golden Brown" and "Always the Sun" - they're two of the most well known songs that the classic line-up released and they're not going to want to sacrifice the potential of getting the casual fans into the venues. They're not going to take that risk.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I agree about GB, but always the sun? They could easily switch it for 'And if you should...' without causing a riot.