JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 21:53 As opposed to thinking they should sound like Hugh
I'm unsure as to why I would want post-Hugh Stranglers to sound like Hugh Cornwell's solo work (which they couldn't anyway, as a result of not actually having Hugh Cornwell in the band - I mean, I already more than accept this fact) when I already have and am more than happy with Hugh Cornwell's solo work - not to mention the incredible body of work they released during their classic period.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 22:12
Bear Cage wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 21:53 As opposed to thinking they should sound like Hugh
I'm unsure as to why I would want post-Hugh Stranglers to sound like Hugh Cornwell's solo work (which they couldn't anyway, as a result of not actually having Hugh Cornwell in the band - I mean, I already more than accept this fact) when I already have and am more than happy with Hugh Cornwell's solo work - not to mention the incredible body of work they released during their classic period.
I thought you no longer considered The Stranglers as The Stranglers, with only the classic line up considered genuine, hence my comment about you and Hugh.
It’s good to know you now realise that the post Hugh line ups are still The Stranglers
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 12:02 This has mostly been the bands modus operandi since Baz joined the band, which coincides with the moment the band stopped trying to do anything outside of their comfort zone and instead succumbed to artistic stagnancy. There's been some half-decent things within the parameters of that - Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI most notably, but also you've got the completely redundant Giants and this new one which offers absolutely nothing new at all and offers nothing in terms of essential material. Why would I spent time listening to the last couple of albums when I've heard it all done better before, and by a line-up that 99.9% of people consider to be the "true" Stranglers?
This is where I would disagree with you Stan. I thought Suite XVI actually sounded like the Stranglers trying to sound like the Stranglers MK1 too much, and on first listening's did not rate it much at all compared to NC.

I think DM definitely has tracks that are not typically sounding Stranglers MK1 tracks such as Breathe, Down and If Somethings Gonna Kill Me, so it does offer something new. IMHO of course.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 22:31 I thought you no longer considered The Stranglers as The Stranglers, with only the classic line up considered genuine.
Yes, that's correct. Once more, my point (since you clearly missed it) is that Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield released 10 albums and numerous tracks that didn't make it onto albums (singles, b-sides and assorted tracks) and since he's left the band (and even before then in the case of Nosferatu and Wolf) he's built up a catalogue of music that I'm more than happy with - therefore why would I need or even require a post-Hugh iteration of whatever passes as The Stranglers these days to sound like Hugh Cornwell, which was your original statement? I don't. Your argument isn't particularly well thought through and holds no water, unfortunately.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 22:54 I think DM definitely has tracks that are not typically sounding Stranglers MK1 tracks such as Breathe, Down and If Somethings Gonna Kill Me, so it does offer something new. IMHO of course.
"If Something's Gonna Kill Me" is clearly an attempt at creating an Feline/Aural Sculpture hybrid. "Breathe" and "Down" also don't come across to me as being anything new, but rather than those tracks being redolent of MKI, they bring to mind the less credible elements of MKII - "Down" in particular sounding like a morose outtake from Coup de Grace, and who needs that?
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 23:06 "If Something's Gonna Kill Me" is clearly an attempt at creating an Feline/Aural Sculpture hybrid.
I dont see that at all, it has none of the core acoustic elements of Feline and non of the "Brass, Soul and whimsical feeling" feeling of AS
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 23:20
StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 23:06 "If Something's Gonna Kill Me" is clearly an attempt at creating an Feline/Aural Sculpture hybrid.
I dont see that at all, it has none of the core acoustic elements of Feline and non of the "Brass, Soul and whimsical feeling" feeling of AS
The drum machine, melodic sense of the keyboard part and the emphasis on it being a more keyboard heavy production makes the track feel to me like a hybrid of "All Roads Lead to Rome" blended with "Laughing", with the keyboard sounds even bringing to mind the Aural Sculpture b-sides. Baz's gurning "IT'S WARRRRRGH!" vocal makes it evident that yes, this is MKIV+ we're listening to.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 23:29 The drum machine, melodic sense of the keyboard part and the emphasis on it being a more keyboard heavy production makes the track feel to me like a hybrid of "All Roads Lead to Rome" blended with "Laughing", with the keyboard sounds even bringing to mind the Aural Sculpture b-sides. Baz's gurning "IT'S WARRRRRGH!" vocal makes it evident that yes, this is MKIV+ we're listening to.
Yes, I can see the Laughing "casio electro beat feel" connection at least. Actually just flicked through AS this end (first time in a very long time) and I think Hugh's singing on Uptown is something to be commended. I don't like the actual lyrics of the song, especially the "were all meeting up the track uptown" part but the passion in the voice it top notch.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 23:29
alaninblack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 23:20
The drum machine, melodic sense of the keyboard part and the emphasis on it being a more keyboard heavy production makes the track feel to me like a hybrid of "All Roads Lead to Rome" blended with "Laughing", with the keyboard sounds even bringing to mind the Aural Sculpture b-sides. Baz's gurning "IT'S WARRRRRGH!" vocal makes it evident that yes, this is MKIV+ we're listening to.
I don’t believe the band are trying to create something that’s a hybrid or copy of any earlier album, it’s just fans tend to compare and see where things fit/align with the past. They’re recording track they write, and have been about a long time, so go with feels when developing the tracks.

"If Something's Gonna Kill Me" had a very 80s feel, which the band went with (as stated in the blog on the track). This resulted in a song that naturally aligns with the poppy Stranglers of the late 80s. The song could maybe have fitted on AS, Dreamtime or 10 (and improved them if instead of their weaker tracks, Mad Hatter, Too Precious, Let’s Celebrate…).
It’s also probably my least favoured track off DM.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 00:07 I don’t believe the band are trying to create something that’s a hybrid or copy of any earlier album
You don't believe that Norfolk Coast was a calculated attempt to return to the musical territory of the early MKI years? Okay. I mean, this sort of thing was a factor in Paul Roberts ultimately leaving the band, but yeah.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

alaninblack wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 00:06
StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 23:29 The drum machine, melodic sense of the keyboard part and the emphasis on it being a more keyboard heavy production makes the track feel to me like a hybrid of "All Roads Lead to Rome" blended with "Laughing", with the keyboard sounds even bringing to mind the Aural Sculpture b-sides. Baz's gurning "IT'S WARRRRRGH!" vocal makes it evident that yes, this is MKIV+ we're listening to.
Yes, I can see the Laughing "casio electro beat feel" connection at least. Actually just flicked through AS this end (first time in a very long time) and I think Hugh's singing on Uptown is something to be commended. I don't like the actual lyrics of the song, especially the "were all meeting up the track uptown" part but the passion in the voice it top notch.
Yes and we all know Uptown is about Hughs passion for Horse Racing and love of Dick Francis novels. Lt Kudu. :smt004
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

alaninblack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 22:54
StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 12:02 This has mostly been the bands modus operandi since Baz joined the band, which coincides with the moment the band stopped trying to do anything outside of their comfort zone and instead succumbed to artistic stagnancy. There's been some half-decent things within the parameters of that - Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI most notably, but also you've got the completely redundant Giants and this new one which offers absolutely nothing new at all and offers nothing in terms of essential material. Why would I spent time listening to the last couple of albums when I've heard it all done better before, and by a line-up that 99.9% of people consider to be the "true" Stranglers?
This is where I would disagree with you Stan. I thought Suite XVI actually sounded like the Stranglers trying to sound like the Stranglers MK1 too much, and on first listening's did not rate it much at all compared to NC.

I think DM definitely has tracks that are not typically sounding Stranglers MK1 tracks such as Breathe, Down and If Somethings Gonna Kill Me, so it does offer something new. IMHO of course.
I really likes NC and Suite a lot , probably because as you say they were doing retro sounding stuff......the only bits I didn't like in that era was the jazz stuff , which I always dislike . The DM one's you list are the one's , plus Lines and Dave , the one's I skip .Lines , Breathe and Down are one's I really am not interested in listening to ....they offer nothing interesting to me but I do at least like 6 songs on this album.
All quiet ..........