Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by unbroken69 »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:33
unbroken69 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:22 Certainly Jim's drums are heavier on this album and more energetic than previous Stranglers albums. It is the absence of proper drums with the replacement of drum machines that give the later MK 1 albums that awful tinny effect.
I'd describe Jim's drumming as quite lumpen, particularly in comparison with Jet's more nuanced playing. As for the drum machines on the likes of Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime, while I would have preferred Jet to be playing on those albums, I still vastly prefer listening to them.
Let Me Down Easy minus the faux soul backing vocals and the tin machine drums would be good enough to fit onto Dark Matters.

Maybe one for the band to try live. Always enjoyed that track, should have been a proper hit.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:49 Ok so which Stranglers drum pattern would you say is the hardest to play out interest? Lt Kudu.
It depends on what you mean by "hardest"

If you mean in the technical sense, then none of them. While I rate Jet as a drummer within the context of The Stranglers, Neil Peart or Phil Collins or Bill Bruford he ain't.
If you mean in terms of replicating feel, then all of them. As you very well know all drummers have their own inherent feel which makes them unique and it's why when different drummers play the same part, it never sounds or feels the same.
If you mean "hardest" in terms of being an endurance test, then possibly something like "Maninwhite" ...
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:49
StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:45
toilerinblack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:41 I think it means what it says this sounds like the stranglers and because he hasn't heard it before how can he know or say this is the stranglers?
How many other bands do you know that sound exactly like The Stranglers?
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:42 Jet is a far more experienced drummer, are you a drummer as a matter of interest? Lt Kudu.
I can play a few instruments, drums included.
Ok so which Stranglers drum pattern would you say is the hardest to play out interest? Lt Kudu.
Tell us what you think is out of curiosity, i could have a guess at a few and see how wrong i am as a non drummer...lol
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

unbroken69 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:50 Let Me Down Easy minus the faux soul backing vocals and the tin machine drums would be good enough to fit onto Dark Matters.

Maybe one for the band to try live. Always enjoyed that track, should have been a proper hit.
Can't help but feel that you're looking at this the wrong way 'round. If "Let Me Down Easy" had been on Dark Matters it would have been comfortably - head, shoulders AND body - the best thing on there. By miles. Like, not even a competition - just a completely whole 'nother league. In terms of where it sits on Aural Sculpture, it holds its own with rest of the extremely consistent and excellent first side of the record.

It's unfair to compare Dark Matters with Aural Sculpture, in the sense that the Aural Sculpture period was overall a strong songwriting period for them, and Dark Matters is the frantically cobbled together end result of years of not being able to get anything together.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 18:22
unbroken69 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:50 Let Me Down Easy minus the faux soul backing vocals and the tin machine drums would be good enough to fit onto Dark Matters.

Can't help but feel that you're looking at this the wrong way 'round. If "Let Me Down Easy" had been on Dark Matters it would have been comfortably - head, shoulders AND body - the best thing on there. By miles. Like, not even a competition - just a completely whole 'nother league. In terms of where it sits on Aural Sculpture, it holds its own with rest of the extremely consistent and excellent first side of the record.

It's unfair to compare Dark Matters with Aural Sculpture, in the sense that the Aural Sculpture period was overall a strong songwriting period for them, and Dark Matters is the frantically cobbled together end result of years of not being able to get anything together.
it's not for me each to their own.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 18:22

I disagree.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 18:01
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:49
StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:45

How many other bands do you know that sound exactly like The Stranglers?

I can play a few instruments, drums included.
Ok so which Stranglers drum pattern would you say is the hardest to play out interest? Lt Kudu.
Tell us what you think is out of curiosity, i could have a guess at a few and see how wrong i am as a non drummer...lol
I would say Peasant is tricky, the precision timing Genetix the most demanding I would say, once you figure it out but its so easy to Fuck up, of all the times Jet played Genetix, I never saw him fuck it up, he made it look so easy,still my favourite drum pattern ever and my joint favourite Stranglers song along with Sewer,another tricky one in the Rats Rally Part. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 19:16 I would say Peasant is tricky, the precision timing Genetix the most demanding I would say, once you figure it out but its so easy to Fuck up, of all the times Jet played Genetix, I never saw him fuck it up, he made it look so easy,still my favourite drum pattern ever and my joint favourite Stranglers song along with Sewer,another tricky one in the Rats Rally Part. Lt Kudu.
Of the two, I'd say "Peasant" was trickier.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 19:32
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 19:16 I would say Peasant is tricky, the precision timing Genetix the most demanding I would say, once you figure it out but its so easy to Fuck up, of all the times Jet played Genetix, I never saw him fuck it up, he made it look so easy,still my favourite drum pattern ever and my joint favourite Stranglers song along with Sewer,another tricky one in the Rats Rally Part. Lt Kudu.
Of the two, I'd say "Peasant" was trickier.
Sir I agree with you. Lt Kudu.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 18:22 It's unfair to compare Dark Matters with Aural Sculpture, in the sense that the Aural Sculpture period was overall a strong songwriting period for them, and Dark Matters is the frantically cobbled together end result of years of not being able to get anything together.
Maybe a better song writing period, but the end results differs, I'd listen to DM over AS any day of the week. Said it before, AS was an utter disappointment on release for me and I would say for many other 'fans" at the time, and im sure you've heard that before many a time.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

alaninblack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 21:39
StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 18:22 It's unfair to compare Dark Matters with Aural Sculpture, in the sense that the Aural Sculpture period was overall a strong songwriting period for them, and Dark Matters is the frantically cobbled together end result of years of not being able to get anything together.
Maybe a better song writing period, but the end results differs, I'd listen to DM over AS any day of the week. Said it before, AS was an utter disappointment on release for me and I would say for many other 'fans" at the time, and im sure you've heard that before many a time.
I think AS is a great album, Hugh in great voice and one of JJs greatest songs, I don't know how DMs compares as its a different band now, so pointless to compare. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'd take A.S B-Sides over anything on DM

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"