JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 21:34 So, I tuned into this for a listen out of curiosity.

JJ sounding far, far more reserved and less aggressive/bullish about the future of The Stranglers than Baz was the other night. Good to hear that he's still very much in touch with Jet and checking in every so often to see how he is. It would seem that JJ wanted to knock the band on the head after recording Dark Matters (which naturally would have been the most logical and sensible thing to do) but reading between the lines it sounded like he had his arm twisted by management and I'd speculate (based on comments made in his recent interview) that Baz was very much part of that arm twisting as well. Given that The Stranglers is easily the biggest name that Baz has ever been associated with, this wouldn't surprise me in the least. Also, interesting to hear JJ address his creative slump/lack of interest creatively during the MKII years, and attributing that pretty much to Hugh leaving the band. Apparently, Hugh leaving the band "knocked (JJ) for six" to the point where it affected him creatively and it took him a while to "get (his) mojo back" ... which makes sense that it took him almost a decade to address it in song ("You Don't Think That What You've Done Is Wrong") ... actually, come to think of it, it seems like this whole thing surrounding Hugh leaving the band still very much upsets him. As for the movie, he didn't say anything more or less than what was already quoted in article, really, aside from he did mention that he hoped Hugh would "change (his) mind" ... Unfortunately, the thing is, I'm not entirely sure it's Hugh that's actually stopping the movie.
I think you are probably right re Baz , it's his cash cow , he won't do anything near as successful after The Stranglers. JJ has proved himself numerous times and doesn't need to any more ..........Baz' only other Biggie was Nellie the Elephant , Toydolls .Now I am not knocking Baz' , it's just how life panned out , this is his biggest ever job , why would he want to lose it , I am sure we would be the same .
Movie ? Guess we will never see it .JJ .......next step.........do a bloody book 🙄, there are stories to be told .
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 16:41
StanInBlack wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 21:34 So, I tuned into this for a listen out of curiosity.

JJ sounding far, far more reserved and less aggressive/bullish about the future of The Stranglers than Baz was the other night. Good to hear that he's still very much in touch with Jet and checking in every so often to see how he is. It would seem that JJ wanted to knock the band on the head after recording Dark Matters (which naturally would have been the most logical and sensible thing to do) but reading between the lines it sounded like he had his arm twisted by management and I'd speculate (based on comments made in his recent interview) that Baz was very much part of that arm twisting as well. Given that The Stranglers is easily the biggest name that Baz has ever been associated with, this wouldn't surprise me in the least. Also, interesting to hear JJ address his creative slump/lack of interest creatively during the MKII years, and attributing that pretty much to Hugh leaving the band. Apparently, Hugh leaving the band "knocked (JJ) for six" to the point where it affected him creatively and it took him a while to "get (his) mojo back" ... which makes sense that it took him almost a decade to address it in song ("You Don't Think That What You've Done Is Wrong") ... actually, come to think of it, it seems like this whole thing surrounding Hugh leaving the band still very much upsets him. As for the movie, he didn't say anything more or less than what was already quoted in article, really, aside from he did mention that he hoped Hugh would "change (his) mind" ... Unfortunately, the thing is, I'm not entirely sure it's Hugh that's actually stopping the movie.
I think you are probably right re Baz , it's his cash cow , he won't do anything near as successful after The Stranglers. JJ has proved himself numerous times and doesn't need to any more ..........Baz' only other Biggie was Nellie the Elephant , Toydolls .Now I am not knocking Baz' , it's just how life panned out , this is his biggest ever job , why would he want to lose it , I am sure we would be the same .
Movie ? Guess we will never see it .JJ .......next step.........do a bloody book 🙄, there are stories to be told .
I think Baz is a musician and wants to play as does JJ, I don't think they know how the gigs will go, not long to find out and you can all slag on here joking, but I will be nervous and bisted and twitter if I don't think they are any good live now, fingers crossed Mr G is good. Lt Kudu. :smt005
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

In JJ’s recent Rockonteurs interview it seemed pretty plain that JJ and Baz will continue to wrote songs. As he saw it, the only question was whether it came under The Stranglers umbrella, and in the interview he suggested it might.
Dark Matters critical acclaim and chart placing surely only reinforces this?

What was also highlighted was the increasing demand in the last ten years for the band to play live.
If you are a professional musician, still fit, and enjoy what you do, why wouldn’t you continue?
If people are happy to pay for you to perform the band’s songs live, crack on I say.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Given they have at least one gig booked for 2023, isn't it obvious that they are going to continue?
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

jonimac wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 11:49 In JJ’s recent Rockonteurs interview it seemed pretty plain that JJ and Baz will continue to wrote songs. As he saw it, the only question was whether it came under The Stranglers umbrella, and in the interview he suggested it might.
Dark Matters critical acclaim and chart placing surely only reinforces this?

What was also highlighted was the increasing demand in the last ten years for the band to play live.
If you are a professional musician, still fit, and enjoy what you do, why wouldn’t you continue?
If people are happy to pay for you to perform the band’s songs live, crack on I say.
Pleasing to see that nuanced comment is still alive around these parts. :smt006
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 17:15 I think Baz is a musician and wants to play as does JJ
I mean, this much is obvious but they don't necessarily need to do it under the umbrella of The Stranglers, particularly since for JJ & Baz (plus whichever hired hands they utilise moving forward) to call themselves The Stranglers would - in my view (but not only my view) be very questionable. Besides, I get the impression that if the band wound down after the promotional/"Dave tribute" dates that JJ wouldn't be too bothered.

Baz, on the other hand? Well, as he said himself "what am I supposed to do with my life if I'm not playing in The Stranglers?", well... how many years was he a musician before The Stranglers? If The Stranglers wound down it's not like he would suddenly STOP becoming a musician. No - this is pretty much down to the fact that until he joined The Stranglers, Baz was languishing in relative obscurity as a struggling musician, and since he's been a member of The Stranglers he's got accustomed to earning a living piggybacking off the name of a band that was long established well before he joined, and clearly he either doesn't want to give up that income or the cachet that comes with being associated with a known name like The Stranglers, so naturally he'll be wanting the party to go on in spite of a Stranglers with only one original member not being a particularly credible venture.

Now, given that The Stranglers that *I* like were a truly alternative group that put out records like The Gospel According to the Meninblack, to see them gradually limp on and become a tribute to themselves to keep the kitty topped up is pretty fucking depressing.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Given they have at least one gig booked for 2023, isn't it obvious that they are going to continue?
Makes sense - they were going to cut down touring because of Dave's health. Unfortunately he passed away. Now though, with JJ fitter than most of us, there is no stopping for them to continue. Especially with all the praise for Dark Matters.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Pleasing to see that nuanced comment is still alive around these parts. :smt006
:smt006 welcome back to these shores
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 16:51
Greatkudu wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 17:15 I think Baz is a musician and wants to play as does JJ
I mean, this much is obvious but they don't necessarily need to do it under the umbrella of The Stranglers, particularly since for JJ & Baz (plus whichever hired hands they utilise moving forward) to call themselves The Stranglers would - in my view (but not only my view) be very questionable. Besides, I get the impression that if the band wound down after the promotional/"Dave tribute" dates that JJ wouldn't be too bothered.

Baz, on the other hand? Well, as he said himself "what am I supposed to do with my life if I'm not playing in The Stranglers?", well... how many years was he a musician before The Stranglers? If The Stranglers wound down it's not like he would suddenly STOP becoming a musician. No - this is pretty much down to the fact that until he joined The Stranglers, Baz was languishing in relative obscurity as a struggling musician, and since he's been a member of The Stranglers he's got accustomed to earning a living piggybacking off the name of a band that was long established well before he joined, and clearly he either doesn't want to give up that income or the cachet that comes with being associated with a known name like The Stranglers, so naturally he'll be wanting the party to go on in spite of a Stranglers with only one original member not being a particularly credible venture.

Now, given that The Stranglers that *I* like were a truly alternative group that put out records like The Gospel According to the Meninblack, to see them gradually limp on and become a tribute to themselves to keep the kitty topped up is pretty fucking depressing.
I think you are being very harsh about Baz, he knows how lucky he was joining the Stranglers, with his talents he would always make a living outside of the Stranglers and he has always stated how lucky he is. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:22 I think you are being very harsh about Baz, he knows how lucky he was joining the Stranglers, with his talents he would always make a living outside of the Stranglers and he has always stated how lucky he is. Lt Kudu.
Of course he would, but it would be a very small, modest living. After all, the biggest thing he'd been involved in prior to The Stranglers was Toy Dolls, again another band that already existed prior to him joining that already had a following and had multiple releases out. When it's come to his own projects, like Smalltown Heroes or that solo record he put out in 2002, the success has been miniscule in comparison.

The thing is, if JJ chose to make a solo record at this juncture he'd have absolutely no difficulty finding an audience for it or a means of getting it out there. If Baz did the same, while he'd be in a better position now that he was prior to joining The Stranglers, he'd struggle a lot more.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:41
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:22 I think you are being very harsh about Baz, he knows how lucky he was joining the Stranglers, with his talents he would always make a living outside of the Stranglers and he has always stated how lucky he is. Lt Kudu.
Of course he would, but it would be a very small, modest living. After all, the biggest thing he'd been involved in prior to The Stranglers was Toy Dolls, again another band that already existed prior to him joining that already had a following and had multiple releases out. When it's come to his own projects, like Smalltown Heroes or that solo record he put out in 2002, the success has been miniscule in comparison.

The thing is, if JJ chose to make a solo record at this juncture he'd have absolutely no difficulty finding an audience for it or a means of getting it out there. If Baz did the same, while he'd be in a better position now that he was prior to joining The Stranglers, he'd struggle a lot more.
But JJ prefers the collaboration, why would he want to do a solo album? When he wrote most of Dark Matters? I don't think JJ could be bothered when he is still enjoying the Stranglers or not as you don't think it's the Stranglers anymore. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:45 why would he want to do a solo album?
It would be the most obvious thing to do, given that he's now the only original member left. Personally, I'd rather hear a record where the driving force and vision behind it is solely that of an original member of The Stranglers than a record made by an ersatz Stranglers.