Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by unbroken69 »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:13 I listened last night, first time for a while and really enjoyed it, it stands alone as a fine album, pointless to compare to others, you either like or dislike. Lt Kudu. :smt005
I was on a three hour drive to Valencia this morning to drop a work colleague off at the airport. Stuck on Dark Matters. Sounds like the Stranglers, he said.
Turns out he was a casual fan back in the day, seen them a couple of times live in the last decade or so, but never got round to checking out the recent albums.
Anyway he loved the album on the first two listens, has since messaged me to say he's bought the CD and a digital copy.
Also played Suite XVI, he liked it but not as much as Dark Matters.
Tried Hugh's terrific Monster album on him, unfortunately he wasn't having it.
Ah well, two out of three ain't bad.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

On the other hand, I still listen to Monster regularly (the most recent time being this morning, in fact) in spite of the album being roughly three years old at this point, whereas I still haven't felt the need to listen to Dark Matters since day of release. I've noticed the wording was "sounds like The Stranglers" not "this *is* The Stranglers", which of course sums it up.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Would you say it "sounds like The Stranglers" though? I guess the trademark bass is there in parts. Vocals and drumming are of course different. Dave keys got watered down IMO (and according to others). You're left with a very distilled version of The Stranglers at best. Maybe another question is "Do they even need to sound like The Stranglers?" - I'd argue they don't.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 16:57 On the other hand, I still listen to Monster regularly (the most recent time being this morning, in fact) in spite of the album being roughly three years old at this point, whereas I still haven't felt the need to listen to Dark Matters since day of release. I've noticed the wording was "sounds like The Stranglers" not "this *is* The Stranglers", which of course sums it up.
But it was the Stranglers so he was right.

I'm just happy that I reignited his interest in the band. Sorry he wasn't on board with Hugh, but I did try and will try again given the opportunity.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

I think there's enough in the first 90 seconds of Water to give the game away to anyone vaguely familiar with their early records.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

theraven1979 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 16:59 Would you say it "sounds like The Stranglers" though? I guess the trademark bass is there in parts. Vocals and drumming are of course different. Dave keys got watered down IMO (and according to others). You're left with a very distilled version of The Stranglers at best. Maybe another question is "Do they even need to sound like The Stranglers?" - I'd argue they don't.

Jim
Not as traditionally Stranglersesque as Giants and Suite XVI, but the components are definitely there.

I think it helps that Water is the first track as the Keys are Dave in great prog mode and the vocal is unmistakably JJ.

Certainly Jim's drums are heavier on this album and more energetic than previous Stranglers albums. It is the absence of proper drums with the replacement of drum machines that give the later MK 1 albums that awful tinny effect.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

unbroken69 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:22 Certainly Jim's drums are heavier on this album and more energetic than previous Stranglers albums. It is the absence of proper drums with the replacement of drum machines that give the later MK 1 albums that awful tinny effect.
I'd describe Jim's drumming as quite lumpen, particularly in comparison with Jet's more nuanced playing. As for the drum machines on the likes of Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime, while I would have preferred Jet to be playing on those albums, I still vastly prefer listening to them.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 16:57 On the other hand, I still listen to Monster regularly (the most recent time being this morning, in fact) in spite of the album being roughly three years old at this point, whereas I still haven't felt the need to listen to Dark Matters since day of release. I've noticed the wording was "sounds like The Stranglers" not "this *is* The Stranglers", which of course sums it up.
I think it means what it says this sounds like the stranglers and because he hasn't heard it before how can he know or say this is the stranglers?
To me the fact he has said it at all confirms still to me that they are still producing that classic stranglers sound still on some but not every track on DM agreed,but not a bad guess for someone who didn't know who or what it was i think,mind u if Water was the first track he did play you would guess it's them straight away after only hearing one track,especially if you was a bit of a fan from the past.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 23 Nov 2021, 17:43, edited 2 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:33
unbroken69 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:22 Certainly Jim's drums are heavier on this album and more energetic than previous Stranglers albums. It is the absence of proper drums with the replacement of drum machines that give the later MK 1 albums that awful tinny effect.
I'd describe Jim's drumming as quite lumpen, particularly in comparison with Jet's more nuanced playing. As for the drum machines on the likes of Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime, while I would have preferred Jet to be playing on those albums, I still vastly prefer listening to them.
Jet is a far more experienced drummer, are you a drummer as a matter of interest? Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:42
StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:33
Jet is a far more experienced drummer, are you a drummer as a matter of interest? Lt Kudu.
I agree as a non drummer who has been delving alot about drums and Jim for his poem lol but i still wouldn't really know jack as a non drummer lol i'll stick to guitars.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 23 Nov 2021, 17:59, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:41 I think it means what it says this sounds like the stranglers and because he hasn't heard it before how can he know or say this is the stranglers?
How many other bands do you know that sound exactly like The Stranglers?
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:42 Jet is a far more experienced drummer, are you a drummer as a matter of interest? Lt Kudu.
I can play a few instruments, drums included.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:45
toilerinblack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:41 I think it means what it says this sounds like the stranglers and because he hasn't heard it before how can he know or say this is the stranglers?
How many other bands do you know that sound exactly like The Stranglers?
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:42 Jet is a far more experienced drummer, are you a drummer as a matter of interest? Lt Kudu.
I can play a few instruments, drums included.
Ok so which Stranglers drum pattern would you say is the hardest to play out interest? Lt Kudu.