Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by StanInBlack »

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 20:18 Also, it's Mojo Magazine - a magazine that has its finger on the pulse so much it's got The Rolling Stones on the cover this month. Again.
So, I finally got around to checking out Mojo Magazine's albums of the year and was for the most part pretty unsurprised at what I saw. Even though he's at this stage a vintage act, it's great to see Paul Weller's most recent album at #6 as it pretty much continues the winning, creative streak that he's been on for well over a decade now. Also, totally unsurprised to see The Coral there at #7 - while it's a good record (and probably their best for a long time) - they are a band that seem completely aimed at Mojo Magazine's dadrock oriented readership. Also good to see the Manic Street Preachers at #16 with The Ultra Vivid Lament, yet another vintage act that is turning out some surprisingly very good records at such a late stage in their career. Gruff Rhys' Seeking New Gods just about makes it into the list at #74 - while his best album for a while, I still wouldn't rank it as up there with his "career best" records although I'd take it over Dark Matters any day of the week.

Weirdly, it's in the 20-35 range where they feel the need to slot in a whole bunch of quite unremarkable records. Anyone who could possibly get through the latest Teenage Fanclub album (Endless Arcade, in there at #23) without either falling asleep or switching it off after the first couple of tracks deserves a medal for enduring something so utterly, tediously dull. Field Music's Flat White Moon at #29 is one of the weakest albums they've made to date, and there's no way on Earth that McCartney III is in the Top 100 best records released this year, let alone ranked at #32 like the staff at Mojo see fit to place it here. And of course, Dark Matters in at #35 - and we all know how I feel about that one.

Of course, when it comes to the newer artists, Mojo seem utterly clueless as to where to rank them. The general consensus is that Wolf Alice's Blue Weekend, Squid's Bright Green Field and ESPECIALLY Black Midi's Cavalcade are three of the best records released this year (a consensus that I happen to agree with) yet here they all nestle in the 36-70 range, with Dry Cleaning's New Long Leg (while a very good record, not as good as the three aforementioned records) coming in at #15. Black Country New Road's For the First Time which is another of my favourite records released this year is in at #14 (and perhaps should be in the Top 10) and the amazing CHVRCHES album is absent entirely but I wouldn't expect Mojo Magazine to be all over that band anyway.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Hadn't played it for a about ten days, been busy and that.
Put it on today and played it about five times. It's an incredible album. Not just a collection of songs, but a cohesive artistic project. For me it's the best post Hugh album, and I know many will disagree but I think it's their best since La Folie.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I need to remove it from my car stereo. I'm playing it far too much! I think I'll replace it with Norfolk Coast or Suite XVI for a bit. 8)
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

unbroken69 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 22:30 Hadn't played it for a about ten days, been busy and that.
Put it on today and played it about five times. It's an incredible album. Not just a collection of songs, but a cohesive artistic project. For me it's the best post Hugh album, and I know many will disagree but I think it's their best since La Folie.
Hello Unbroken 69, I definitely disagree with you on best since La Folie, but hello all the same, it’s been a while
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Jake wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 22:50
unbroken69 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 22:30 Hadn't played it for a about ten days, been busy and that.
Hello Unbroken 69, I definitely disagree with you on best since La Folie, but hello all the same, it’s been a while
Alright buddy, how are you? Yeah not been around these parts for a while, just came on last week to see if folk were still here.

Good to see the forums still on the go, given all the activity on the likes of Facebook.

Yeah we can all disagree on our faves, but I really love Dark Matters. I find some of the later MK I albums a little tinny, some great songs spoilt by poor production.

I love all the albums since Norfolk Coast, just think Dark Matters is the pick of the bunch, but who knows I might think differently in year's time.

Are you going to any of the gigs coming up?
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

unbroken69 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 23:02
Alright buddy, how are you? Yeah not been around these parts for a while, just came on last week to see if folk were still here.

Good to see the forums still on the go, given all the activity on the likes of Facebook.

Yeah we can all disagree on our faves, but I really love Dark Matters. I find some of the later MK I albums a little tinny, some great songs spoilt by poor production.

I love all the albums since Norfolk Coast, just think Dark Matters is the pick of the bunch, but who knows I might think differently in year's time.

Hey,

Ticking over mate, hope you’re well. I’m still not on Facebook but given all the negative exposure there’s been, no great loss, even if one is sort of persona non grata in the modern world without it.

I hadn’t been coming to the Forum much for years, but then with Dave passing away, obviously very sad, I started to drift back here, it’s very quiet compared to the past and I assume that’s because of Facebook, but there’s still some very lively discussions.

I’m torn over Dark Matters, I like Dave’s bits, some of JJs vocals, but I haven’t warmed to Baz’s vocals after all these years, as for some of the lyrics…. But I’m glad it’s got people talking and if others love it, I certainly don’t begrudge that.

I don’t have tickets for any of the shows, haven’t been to a stranglers gig since that one at the Roundhouse on the Giants tour. There’s probably more chance of Britain rejoining the EU than my seeing a stranglers gig again, but you never know mate, cheers good to see you here again 8)
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Jake wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 23:22
unbroken69 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 23:02

Hey,

Ticking over mate, hope you’re well. I’m still not on Facebook but given all the negative exposure there’s been, no great loss, even if one is sort of persona non grata in the modern world without it.

I hadn’t been coming to the Forum much for years, but then with Dave passing away, obviously very sad, I started to drift back here, it’s very quiet compared to the past and I assume that’s because of Facebook, but there’s still some very lively discussions.

I’m torn over Dark Matters, I like Dave’s bits, some of JJs vocals, but I haven’t warmed to Baz’s vocals after all these years, as for some of the lyrics…. But I’m glad it’s got people talking and if others love it, I certainly don’t begrudge that.

I don’t have tickets for any of the shows, haven’t been to a stranglers gig since that one at the Roundhouse on the Giants tour. There’s probably more chance of Britain rejoining the EU than my seeing a stranglers gig again, but you never know mate, cheers good to see you here again 8)
I love Baz live, he rarely hits a bum note. Don't mind his vocals, on the softer songs he sounds really good. He doesn't seem to have penned much of the lyrics on this one though, probably had an artistic meltdown after '15 Steps'.

I have tickets for a few a shows this time, decided to miss the London dates and do a few around England. They're also doing Belfast in September, so I'll head back for that one. I'll not bother with the Hugh acoustic one in April though, never really warmed to his acoustic shows.

Could well be the last time the Stranglers play, they may well close the book at the end of next year.

Good catching up with you mate.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

unbroken69 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 23:41
I love Baz live, he rarely hits a bum note. Don't mind his vocals, on the softer songs he sounds really good. He doesn't seem to have penned much of the lyrics on this one though, probably had an artistic meltdown after '15 Steps'.

I have tickets for a few a shows this time, decided to miss the London dates and do a few around England. They're also doing Belfast in September, so I'll head back for that one. I'll not bother with the Hugh acoustic one in April though, never really warmed to his acoustic shows.

Could well be the last time the Stranglers play, they may well close the book at the end of next year.

You too mister

It’s a somewhat controversial opinion, but vaguely a consensus too, personally I hope they’re not going to drag it out too long, but of course it’s their band, their decision, though as some argue it’s also maybe being egged on by a money making management machine, as long as there’s cash to be made, etc.

Speaking to a couple of people who like the stranglers and are not on the forum, they weren’t impressed by the notion of the stranglers continuing without Dave. I don’t reckon it’s for me, but never say never I guess.

I haven’t seen Hugh live in ages either, but did rather like the couple of his acoustic shows I went to.

You take care fella, good to hear from you
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Jake wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 00:14
unbroken69 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 23:41

You too mister

It’s a somewhat controversial opinion, but vaguely a consensus too, personally I hope they’re not going to drag it out too long, but of course it’s their band, their decision, though as some argue it’s also maybe being egged on by a money making management machine, as long as there’s cash to be made, etc.

Speaking to a couple of people who like the stranglers and are not on the forum, they weren’t impressed by the notion of the stranglers continuing without Dave. I don’t reckon it’s for me, but never say never I guess.

I haven’t seen Hugh live in ages either, but did rather like the couple of his acoustic shows I went to.

You take care fella, good to hear from you
Yeah, I think when all the live commitments are honoured they may well call it a day. It was to be the final full tour. Now it takes a more poignant twist, as it'll essentially be in honour of Dave.

Speak soon dude.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I listened last night, first time for a while and really enjoyed it, it stands alone as a fine album, pointless to compare to others, you either like or dislike. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:13 I listened last night, first time for a while and really enjoyed it, it stands alone as a fine album, pointless to compare to others, you either like or dislike. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Agreed.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Two months in and my opinion hasn't altered .Overall I like it , still not liking Lines , Breathe or Down though .Lines is pretty pointless to me and I think would have been better putting something a bit longer and some musical substance ,anyway it's bloody accoustic . I still think there are 6 worthwhile songs . Not listening that much now , probably once a week at best , skipping tracks listed , Dave and If Something .
All quiet ..........