New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: New keyboard player

Post by droopsnoot »

Ruby wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 14:33 I've never even heard of Bombay Motorcycle Club.Didnt realize they were bigger than the Stranglers.
They were Bombay Bicycle Club, weren't they? I think they were big for a short time. I remember recording all the night-time footage from Glastonbury when the Stranglers opened it, hoping they'd be shown, only to find that they just kept showing Bombay Bicycle Club and Florence and the Machine, over and over and over again.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 10:30
kenl wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 08:11
evonx wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 22:02

Not when it comes to the business side as pointed out above
But, he is mentioned as a Strangler, I'm not interested in the business behind the band.
I don't get this Jim plays on the new album and has earned his spurs, for fucks sake why do some demean his input, I doubt he cares doing what he loves to do. Lt Kudu.
Here Here well said....my appreciation for his contribution of over a decade now to this band will be my poem which i'm still in the thick of but haven't had much time to complete it yet but it's gonna be called ...Shipwrecked onto No Man's Land...which are both Jim past and present references.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 19:12
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 10:30
kenl wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 08:11

But, he is mentioned as a Strangler, I'm not interested in the business behind the band.
I don't get this Jim plays on the new album and has earned his spurs, for fucks sake why do some demean his input, I doubt he cares doing what he loves to do. Lt Kudu.
Here Here well said....my appreciation for his contribution of over a decade now to this band will be my poem which i'm still in the thick of but haven't had much time to complete it yet but it's gonna be called ...Shipwrecked onto No Man's Land...which are both Jim past and present references.
Sir we look forward to it, your the Forums poet laureate. No pressure :smt005 Lt Kudu.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

droopsnoot wrote:
Ruby wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 14:33 I've never even heard of Bombay Motorcycle Club.Didnt realize they were bigger than the Stranglers.
They were Bombay Bicycle Club, weren't they? I think they were big for a short time. I remember recording all the night-time footage from Glastonbury when the Stranglers opened it, hoping they'd be shown, only to find that they just kept showing Bombay Bicycle Club and Florence and the Machine, over and over and over again.
You are right...Bombay Bicycle Club..soz for the Confusion.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 19:08
I loved ian Barnards drumming but I think Jim was a better bet, Ian even younger than Jim and he didn't want to take over permanently from Jet but he was a powerhouse, they played alot faster with Ian,a nice chap to he gave me some of Jets used drumsticks. Lt cmdr Kudu.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Greatkudu wrote:
toilerinblack wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 19:12
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 10:30 I don't get this Jim plays on the new album and has earned his spurs, for fucks sake why do some demean his input, I doubt he cares doing what he loves to do. Lt Kudu.
Sir we look forward to it, your the Forums poet laureate. No pressure :smt005 Lt Kudu.
Is that the Royal we Sir??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Damian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Damian »

Frederik wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 14:18
Cells&Plasma wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 07:06 He went on a World Tour with Bombay Motorcycle Club in 2012 so they had to find someone else.
As a drum tech, why would that be preferable to playing?

Pam didn't reference his contribution.
Ian was still Jets Tech until 2015. He missed the Euro/Festival dates in 12 so Jim came in
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 18:59
Apologies yes she did mention John, but I don't think anyone misses him, an awkward character by all accounts.
LOL. :lol:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 18:59 Apologies yes she did mention John, but I don't think anyone misses him, an awkward character by all accounts.
Lemme see:

1. Ellis played in the Euroband.
2. He also played in the Purple Helmets.
3. He also played on one of Peter Gabriel's absolute best albums.
4. He also played with the Stranglers MKI on their last tour.
5. During his time in The Stranglers, he at least attempted to advance the band's sound.
6. He also HATED greatest hits sets, and would rather MKII have stood on its own two feet and not rely on the back catalogue - the original members that were still remaining disagreed.
7. He's a technically accomplished and - dare I say it - interesting guitarist, not falling back on blues cliches/heavy rock cliches/Dire Straits-lite or impersonations of Hugh Cornwell.

Sure, not everything that MKII did hit the mark, and certainly none of it was as good as anything MKI did, but as a musician I'd easily rate Ellis higher than Baz.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah I think people are being a bit harsh on John. I've complete respect for him

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 23:08 Yeah I think people are being a bit harsh on John. I've complete respect for him

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Of course I respect him, I said I did, but he had a history of problems with JJ, obviously JJ could be awkward to back in the day. Lt Kudu m
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 23:50 Of course I respect him, I said I did, but he had a history of problems with JJ, obviously JJ could be awkward to back in the day. Lt Kudu m
Singling out Ellis for being "awkward" when the classic line-up of The Stranglers was pretty much entirely made up of people that could be "awkward" is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion.