New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: New keyboard player

Post by airflamesred »

8088 wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 00:40
airflamesred wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 00:07 I'm pretty sure I read that it will be Dave's sounds until JJ says otherwise.
Is there an equipment list for Dave's setup (as it was 2019) anywhere? I know he had the controllers and a Novation synth but what sound modules/samplers did he use?
I couldn't tell you. If someone is wanting to employi me I take my own tools.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

8088 wrote:
evonx wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 23:04
Here's a question: do you think that Mr Hounsham will be using the same equipment as Dave did live? Or will he try to mimic the sounds using a couple of synths? Important if they want to keep the same live experience.
I believe he is using Daves keyboards.
When I interviewed Baz recently he said the new man will use Dave's equipment
Well, if he has to use Dave's cheapo M-Audio controllers I hope he's at least allowed to MIDI them up to his own sound modules/synths !
I'm sure JJ said it too on an interview or on a rat chat, that the so called "Dave disciple" will use Dave's equipment for the tribute tour and he will play the songs the same as Dave, and that only eventually he might be given "more freedom".

That was a while ago though and it wouldn't surprise me much if that changed a bit now..

I'm interested in this "Dave cheapo" kit thing. I know fuck all about keyboards but find it hard to believe that somebody of Dave's standing as an established musician wouldn't have anything but the very best equipment available..
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I think Toby using Daves keyboards is a good decision, it's like a part of Dave is still their, of course you can't replace someone like Dave, but im sure the band know what a huge responsibility it is to get it right. And we know Toby is a huge fan of Dave and will play with respect, but Fuck I wouldn't want to be I his shoes, as he must be very nervous. Lt Kudu.

Post by 8088 »

aldinblack wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 09:17 I'm interested in this "Dave cheapo" kit thing. I know fuck all about keyboards but find it hard to believe that somebody of Dave's standing as an established musician wouldn't have anything but the very best equipment available..
Dave's set up in later years was very low end compared with what he used in the past - M-Audio controllers are entry level and so were the Yamaha CS1x units he used to use.
I can't speak about what sound modules they were plugged into - maybe that's where the money went but there was no evidence given the quality of the sounds.

I'm surely not the first to notice that Dave's keyboard sounds were pretty ropey over the years - the classic sounds were replaced on stage by tinny, thin versions and I don't know why?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks. The more I see of Toby the more I get a sense of eccentricity about him. Can only be a good thing!

Jim
alaninblack wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 21:43
theraven1979 wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 21:26 Would be nice if we saw some rehearsal footage. Whet the old appetite for the forthcoming dates
Here you go Jim, Toby has released a new vid on insta - im sure 8088 will enjoy at least.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVgHXSyPUpw/
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

8088 wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 09:39 Dave's set up in later years was very low end compared with what he used in the past - M-Audio controllers are entry level and so were the Yamaha CS1x units he used to use.
I've wondered about him having the manufacturers named taped over on the last few tours, and whether there was some "issue" there. I don't recall seeing Dave ever doing anything with instrument manufacturers like we've seen JJ, Hugh and Baz doing. Maybe I'm just reading more into it than there is.
8088 wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 09:39 I'm surely not the first to notice that Dave's keyboard sounds were pretty ropey over the years - the classic sounds were replaced on stage by tinny, thin versions and I don't know why?
Absolutely not, I've missed the "full" sound of the keyboard bits in songs like "Nuclear Device". I recall there being talk somewhere about Dave wanting to experiment with what he thought of as more modern keyboard sounds rather than just sticking with the same thing all the time.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall

Post by 8088 »

droopsnoot wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 10:02 Absolutely not, I've missed the "full" sound of the keyboard bits in songs like "Nuclear Device". I recall there being talk somewhere about Dave wanting to experiment with what he thought of as more modern keyboard sounds rather than just sticking with the same thing all the time.
That certainly was the case in the late 80s but in recent years it just sounded like awful presets - maybe it was a live mixing thing, or even a threshold shift in Dave's hearing?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah since about 1995 his keyboard noises sounded like muzak. Very layered and not much room to breath. I guess you can't expect the guy to lob a 70s fuck off keyboard around with him but a certain sparkle was definitely lost

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 10:17 Yeah since about 1995 his keyboard noises sounded like muzak. Very layered and not much room to breath. I guess you can't expect the guy to lob a 70s fuck off keyboard around with him but a certain sparkle was definitely lost

Jim
But that's the thing - a light weight controller plugged into an iPhone can give you the real sounds of a Moog, Hammond, Cembalet etc Bit of a mystery...priorities I guess.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Well, it'll be interesting to see what the sound will be like now with someone else, especially if he uses all the same kit. Because I agree that in recent years some of the "plinkity plonkity" sounds coming out weren't the best. And I wonder whether Dave's arthritis was a factor in that, or even limited the equipment he could use?
I Hate You !

Post by 8088 »

aldinblack wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 11:10 Well, it'll be interesting to see what the sound will be like now with someone else, especially if he uses all the same kit. Because I agree that in recent years some of the "plinkity plonkity" sounds coming out weren't the best. And I wonder whether Dave's arthritis was a factor in that, or even limited the equipment he could use?
Shouldn't have effected the sound and velocity sensitivity can be turned off so he didn't have to pound the keys for volume.
Damian

Post by Damian »

Dave had been using Roland Fantom XR Rackmounts. These are used to sample the 'old' sounds. The 3c Keyboards in front 'Drive' this. On his RH side recently he has gone back to a novation. Before he was using a small keyboard to drive a rackmount Novation.