Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by droopsnoot »

I'm on my second listen in the car, and I'm enjoying it. My only disappointment is that I haven't got a whole new album to listen to, because they've pre-released so much of it. I can't (be bothered, as much as anything) to do an in-depth track by track analysis like some of the others have done, because it's all personal taste anyway. I do disagree with someone who said they preferred the studio version of "Down" to the acoustic version, for me the latter just seems "better" somehow.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Still only heard the album twice all the way through, once on vinyl, once MP3 on headphones,
so still much too soon to be doing any reviews, I reckon...
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Short and sweet, A Fantastic piece of work, and drumming critique, Jim has done a great job, now for my hyper critical side, my only minor gripe is I don't Like the snare sound on This Song, I prefer a crisper snare sound, but as for Stans criticism on snare on Man on Moon,sounds fine to me as a to heavy snare sound would ruin the song, and I like all the songs, even the infamous Lines it fits as a whole album, my fave track after first listen is White Stallion, a fantastic song and I love the opera part to. So to sum up a brilliant album that stands up to some of the classics IMHO. Lt kudu over and out. :smt006
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Did anyone do a YouTube reaction vid to the album? :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 19:37 The Last Men On The Moon....Wolf Alice have a song on their album released this year called "The Last Man on Earth" ... it's a better song than this.

I remember, back in the early '80's, playing Shah Shah A Go Go to a mate who, on hearing the Stranglers tune made what is still, probably, the most
flaccid, feeble criticism I have ever heard, "Yeah it's ok, " he told me, "but it's not a patch on Einstein A Go Go".
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

MiB81 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 13:44
StanInBlack wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 19:37 The Last Men On The Moon....Wolf Alice have a song on their album released this year called "The Last Man on Earth" ... it's a better song than this.

I remember, back in the early '80's, playing Shah Shah A Go Go to a mate who, on hearing the Stranglers tune made what is still, probably, the most
flaccid, feeble criticism I have ever heard, "Yeah it's ok, " he told me, "but it's not a patch on Einstein A Go Go".
I hope you told your mate where to go go!
Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Paul »

I think the production is excellent, not a bad song on the album and I reckon its a grower. Better than Giants on first listen. There's a lot to it, its complex and deep. It'll get better the more it gets listened to methinks
....near the nearside window.....
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 13:35 as for Stans criticism on snare on Man on Moon,sounds fine to me as a to heavy snare sound would ruin the song
I agree that an '80s Phil Collins type of snare sound would have been unsuitable for the track. I mean, that's obviously a given and obviously not what I was saying.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

MiB81 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 13:44 I remember, back in the early '80's, playing Shah Shah A Go Go to a mate who, on hearing the Stranglers tune made what is still, probably, the most
:lol:

Obviously, I disagree.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 14:05
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 13:35 as for Stans criticism on snare on Man on Moon,sounds fine to me as a to heavy snare sound would ruin the song
I agree that an '80s Phil Collins type of snare sound would have been unsuitable for the track. I mean, that's obviously a given and obviously not what I was saying.
Well my personal preference for snare sound generally is a crisper fuller sound, i achieve this with my Promuco shelled snare and hydraulic heads which give a fat crisp sound, Jim's does sound a bit muffled, but on if you should see Dave it sounds more like the sound Jet had. Lt kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 14:18 Well my personal preference for snare sound generally is a crisper fuller sound, i achieve this with my Promuco shelled snare and hydraulic heads which give a fat crisp sound, Jim's does sound a bit muffled, but on if you should see Dave it sounds more like the sound Jet had. Lt kudu.
There's a lot of things that can affect the sound of a snare on a recording - the actual characteristics of the snare itself, but also how it's recorded at the source and how it's treated in post.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 13:37 Did anyone do a YouTube reaction vid to the album? :lol:

Jim
You can't lock them on YouTube , can you 😂?
All quiet ..........