Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

shah
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by shah »

I love 'No Man's Land' - that bass - cor! - wish the song had a few more instrumental mental bits. It could be longer and incredible.
Keep thinking with the end of Breathe it's "err, Mr. Greenfield, your space ship is waiting, sir...thank you for everything...and good luck in the next world...bon voyage, you strange little genius"
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

Does nothing for me apart from This song which is a classic Stranglers cover. Thankyou for the last 44 years although i have held on with my fingertips for the last 31of them.Goodbye MIB and fly straight.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

That's very disappointing if Dave's not credited for songwriting :/

Had my first listen this evening and I've avoided all the songs that weren't played live or released as singles so there was lots of lovely new bits to discover.

Water - wasn't fussed for this when played live but musically I think it sounds brilliant on the album and I also got a bit emotional hearing some of Dave's work. Listening to the old stuff doesn't hit me so much because it's "old" anyway, but hearing a recent recording of a departed hero of mine really got to me. Shame JJ didn't tweak some of the clunkier lyrics.

This Song - I think this sounds great, it's a good song. Baz is overdoing it on the enunciation in the verses as others have mentioned but not enough to completely ruin it for me. Top track.

Dave - This has really grown on me now, I'm close to considering it "classic Stranglers" whatever that means... I agree with Stan that the "glass at the bar" section is the weakest point. Nice guitar work from Baz throughout.

ISGTKM... - This still sounds too disjointed to me and isn't quite working. The underlying song is pretty good though, the acoustic version works brilliantly, I just think the electro-pop experiment hasn't really come off.

No Mans Land - I don't agree that this could have fit in on Black and White, I don't really know what to make of this one... Bits of it did make me laugh and I'm not sure how intentional that is. It put a big grin on my face so it's definitely entertaining. Going to have to give this one a bit more thought. The verses reminded me of Christian Death...

The Lines - This shouldn't have been placed after NML, what a comedown! Still not working for me this one, should have been a bside at best. sorry. I am in my mid-30s, perhaps it's that...

Payday - It got better as it went along but on a first listen I was a little underwhelmed, particularly lyrically. I don't like it when Baz adds on a "today" to the end of lyrics, is this situation only happening today? Would it all be fine tomorrow? He does it on Boom Boom too and it annoyed me then. Maybe it's the new "sepia photograph"/"our mother's laughed".... I never heard this one live so this was completely new this evening. It did get better the more I listened, maybe it's a grower.

Down - I didn't enjoy this really, I just found it a bit depressing. There's a bit too much acoustic strummy stuff going on during Dark Matters and this track didn't really offer anything unique or exciting for me. I suppose the solo guitar bits in the intro are pretty nice. I avoided the preview so this was a disappointment. JJ sounds so old on this song.

Last Men On the Moon - So much better than the live version, I thought this was great! Probably Baz's best vocals on the album and I think the effects really go well. I think this might have also had JJ's best work on too from what I remember. This is a bit of an album highlight in my opinion.

White Stallion - Really enjoyed it, possibly my favourite from the album. I loved the journey it went on where I wasn't sure what was going to happen next and I thought it could have even got away with being a bit longer. Really shows off the "modern" sound of the album too, knocking Giants into a cocked hat.

Breathe - I quite liked this and thought it was a bit middle-era Pink Floyd with some classic Stranglers hallmarks. I thought the lyrics worked well and also enjoyed the changes from section to section. Maybe not an epic closer like on the earliest albums but more in the same mould as Never Say Goodbye, And the Boat Sails By, Leave It To The Dogs etc.

In summary - 6 really good tracks, 2 or 3 that aren't bad after a first listen and may well grow, 2 or 3 that aren't quite working for me.
I think that's about twice the success rate from Giants so that's good going.
I don't think it's quite top ten Stranglers album worthy for me, but maybe 12th or 13th...
The main thought I had after taking my headphones off though was just sadness about Dave, he is very much missed.
Last edited by parasiteinblack on 10 Sep 2021, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I didn't like some of the tracks at first but it's growing on me.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

As a lifelong Stranglers fan, I am used to having very high expectations for new releases. To be painfully honest, these expectations have not totally been met since any release since Raven.

Whilst there have been great songs on alot of post Raven albums, none of the releases have compared to the first 4 studio albums e.g. baffled by Gospel when it came out, gutted with Feline (which has 4 great songs but the rest...urgh), Folie - some great songs but inconsistent and dull production. I could go on...

But this album has brilliant production, the band take musical chances and musically it is is a pity that it was not released in 1981. I think it is great a mix of musical styles with attitude. Play it loud with your favourite bottle to hand with the first 4 albums and immerse yourself in the layers. Surely thats what being a fan is all about
Even though it it is missing Hugh and the lyrics aren't as biting, it's a fine piece of work and meets my expectations. Best album since Raven, but I have been drinking!
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Listened to this on Apple Music in the absence on my damaged vinyl.

Initial verdict is I am not quite sure about it. I didn’t feel like “wow” as i did after first hearing Norfolk Coast the first time but I do want to listen to it again.

I think the fact we are broadly familiar with all but one track on side one doesn’t help. It feels like you are not listening to a new album as a result. I am not sure about No Mans Land on first listen.

Side 2 I enjoyed much better. Payday and Moon are vastly improved from their live versions. Breathe wasn’t as good as I expected from the reviews but gets a thumbs up. I like the Golden Brown keyboard touch in it - was that added after?

White Stallion stands out for me. Absolutely bonkers but what a song.

I think the acoustic version of Down is better than this studio version. It feels a bit leaden whereas I felt there was a bit of beauty in the acoustic version.

Some of the vocals are a bit hit and miss - either overdone or underdone.

However, there is something about it as an album. The band have tried something a bit different. It’s the Stranglers but there is a modern feel about much of it.

On first listen some of the tracks feel a little cluttered with too much happening in them. But conversely that is drawing me in to listen again. It’s an album that may reveal more with each listen a bit like the Raven did.

I hope so. In the past albums, I have felt similar about have ended being long term favourites.

Where does it stand in the Stranglers pantheon. i don’t know as yet. Nothing will ever surpass their first four albums so it’s pointless comparing them. The court is adjourned for more evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

shah wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 22:31 I love 'No Man's Land' - that bass - cor! - wish the song had a few more instrumental mental bits. It could be longer and incredible.
Keep thinking with the end of Breathe it's "err, Mr. Greenfield, your space ship is waiting, sir...thank you for everything...and good luck in the next world...bon voyage, you strange little genius"
Yes agreed and is where i was coming from when i said this song with JJ on fire with his fast B&W style bass deserved to keep rolling on in this song where their was an opening for him to really show off with some incredible lead bass another genetix bit maybe,but hey not knocking this track i love it,this has been the most pleasant surprise for me on tracks i hadn't heard before midnight last night,No Man's blew me away.
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

OK, checking in from Dead Los Angeles.
I really like
Water (great production, build, like a swirling sea of drama and DG is splendid here)
This Song (just a lovely bright Stranglers pop song; DG once again - the church organ just lovely - poptastic like a Barbara or a She's Slipping Away, or Duchess)
No Man's Land (classic quirky Wire/XtC like oddity that I wish had more depth to it in terms of instrumental breaks)
White Stallion (epic in a tongue in cheek kinda experimental mental way - the bombast just gets away with it - you ride along - great fun)
Breathe (just a gorgeous way to bow out, great on headphones)

Last Men on the Moon is ok but sounds very derivative.
Payday could have been great, but just remains jolly B-side like.

Sadly, Down, Dave, Lines, Kill do very little for me. Personally, I've never liked JJ going all Serge Gainsbourg on us and this is much of the same.
But I think those 5 tracks will always be on my shuffle selection. Well done lads. A Brave LP.
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

To my old ears it’s not hugely like other stranglers albums, but that’s what I like about it

A decent rock’n’roll album
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Is it me or is the underlying riff in the early “disco” part of White Stallion taken from the instrumental part of Tomorrow Was The Hereafter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

OK I said I wouldn't but fck it. Like Stan mentioned, I wonder if the album has been mastered high. I tend to subconciously reject the over-compressed albums. They just do my head in. Got me wondering about that as I'm not really embracing this one and part if that is the sound which I'll get to...

I have been keeping tabs on the live versions so I did know half the songs to some degree already.

WATER - not much to say about this really. It's not great but it's not poor. It's a bit like a Longships opener made into a song! Not sure if the end part is adding anything that needs to be there but it's all ok.

THIS SONG - I've grown to like this a lot more after watching the excellent video numerous times. Some have criticised the lyrics but I like them. Sound-wise it could be Black & White era and this is my main gripe. It seems to have all the ingredients - well, almost - the bass is just shy of the 1978 tone as is the Hohner Cymbalet sound which I assume is not a real one anymore. There just isn't the instrument separation like you'd find on B&W. It all sort of blends into one loud noise and I wonder if the 'mastering' isn't helping here along with the source sounds not being as good. Nice to hear a Minimoog-type sound though in the middle - just like on B&W. No idea how the publishing money is shared but Mathew deserves the lions share of this one.

AND IF YOU SHOULD SEE DAVE - pleasant enough. Don't think the bells were needed. Some good harmonies over the chord changes as others have mentioned. That brings something new and welcome to the table I think.

IF SOMETHING IS GONNA KILL ME - this is where I started to wonder wtf am I listening to. This album is all over the place. In retrospect I think this track should have been recorded with real drums and bass (but equally laid back) just to keep the album more cohesive. When the chorus kicks in I'm afraid I can't help thinking of Midge Ure and Ultravox (which I like btw).

NO MANS LAND - ok now we're getting weird which is promising. I'm not convinced it's that good though. The instrumental section reminds me of classic Stranglers without actually getting there. The cluttered mix/mastering doesn't help.

THE LINES - it does it's thing and doesn't outstay it's welcome. You can always find room for something like this - if you need to.

PAYDAY - i find this one bog standard pub rock from the mid-70s. Sends me to sleep. The verse melody reminds of Debbie Harry 'Free To Fall' which as a much better song.

DOWN - two acoustic ones is not helping the album settle into something cohesive. Maybe that's a good thing? It appears from the outside that the band needed to finish the album reasonably quickly and in extraordinary circumstances hence this one and The Lines being knocked out with the minimum of fuss. I'm not sure either would really be here otherwise.

LAST MEN ON THE MOON - I liked this when I heard it live. I still like it but again, I'm drawn to the sound. Synth lead lines just aren't like what mama used to make. The bass style reminds of the one in Souls. it's at this point in the album that Dave Vanian is introduced to help out on BVs.

WHITE STALLION - I'm torn on this one. I like some parts but not others. Verses are great. The big operatic part fits on the choir parts that were already there but that's the part I don't really like. Slightly modern-Damned.

BREATHE - this is the only one that has some mystery remaining to me and it gets better with each listen. Yes a bit Pearl & Dean in one part. Can't really analyse this one properly yet.

So that's my take on Dark Matters. I think it's more of the same really than anything groundbreaking or outstanding. it's not immediately 'the best post-Hugh album' to me. No Jet does change things slightly. Great artwork by the way and I like the way the band-member surnames are written in the special font. Takes me back to The Gospel. Final thoughts on the Tribute CD - why no Genetix? It should have the complete Dave vocal tracks.
Let's Boogie
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Looking at reviews here , I think Breathe is this albums MR to me , it's one a lot seem to like but one I wouldn't give a listen to . Now not for one moment saying I hate it like MR , or dislike intensely like their jazz one's , but it is to me by far the worst on the album , Lines and Down would be the others in that respect . I do like 6 songs on this but ffs that's after s couple of listens . I do wonder if it will head the way of the last Damned one and quickly become boring ......I bought that at same time as a new Skids and Chelsea album and while The Damned one jumped out at the start as very good , it got dull after a few listens while the others grew .
I think it's too early for rash judgements either way right now , time will be the test......right now I quite like 6 of them , overall it isn't bog standard Stranglers , it's different but not in the way Feline or WIR were different . Maybe we are actually almost talking about a different Stranglers now 🤔, maybe even a different band . Overall I might give it a 7 out of 10 . I wonder what we will be saying by Xmas time .
All quiet ..........