Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by Fredib »

9/11 : White Stallion & Last men on the moon sound like latest Damned production. Poor melodies & inspiration IMHO. Water & No Man's Land stand with their best.
Rattus2411
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Rattus2411 »

Toby Hounsham - ex-Rialto keyboard player - is mentioned in the "special thanks" section of the CD booklet. Dave's replacement?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

He's the chap I called out last year as being a good replacement

Jim
Rattus2411 wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 13:19 Toby Hounsham - ex-Rialto keyboard player - is mentioned in the "special thanks" section of the CD booklet. Dave's replacement?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Most of the album seemed vey familiar due to the songs i had heard live and mainly the videos and singles which I think was a good move but in kicked No Mans Land, wow now that’s a nice surprise.
The song that gave me that tingling down the neck & back moment was Water when Dave’s arpeggios kicked in, just marvellous but I started to well up a bit. Miss the guy already.

I can hear lots of Strangler-isms from years past in these songs but it also has a very modern touch/ sound with the synths and effects on some vocals

I think Down came a bit too soon after Lines though and that’s the only the song I’m not that keen on, yet.

The production on the album is again very modern sounding and there’s many effects/ sounds that I’m not sure is Dave or Louis but I guess it doesn’t matter, they sound great.
I’ve not heard such huge delay/ reverb fx like this on a Stranglers album since on The Raven’s Meninblack with the huge sounding delay/ reverbs behind Dave’s synth. I like it.
Some may say the production is too much but I think it’s just about right.

The drums are solid and powerful in parts. JJ’s bass is as always magnificent and Baz’s guitar although never as inventive or quirky as Hugh sounds great too. Vocals are ok.

Throughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next listen tonight after a few Beers.
Shush this is serious
lostinpaddington
Down In The Sewer

Post by lostinpaddington »

When his name was mentioned last year I listened to some Rialto. Only listened to a handful of songs but was surprised there was hardly any keyboards on them and what there was - chords filling - no arpeggios etc. You would have thought if he was good enough to play Dave’s stuff there would be more keyboards on the Rialto songs especially as presumably it was his band as it’s named after him!?
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Rattus2411 wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 13:19 Toby Hounsham - ex-Rialto keyboard player - is mentioned in the "special thanks" section of the CD booklet. Dave's replacement?
What’s the cd packaging like? Is it digipack/jewel case, it seemed to look like just a standard card slip case
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Jake wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 14:16 What’s the cd packaging like? Is it digipack/jewel case, it seemed to look like just a standard card slip case
Standard CD case with a crack across it :(
Let's Boogie
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

He's clearly got all Dave's stuff down though. I thought his tribute video was very good. He comes across as a decent chap as well. When I did some digging on him last year I think he tours with Mungo Jerry.

Jim
lostinpaddington wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 14:13 When his name was mentioned last year I listened to some Rialto. Only listened to a handful of songs but was surprised there was hardly any keyboards on them and what there was - chords filling - no arpeggios etc. You would have thought if he was good enough to play Dave’s stuff there would be more keyboards on the Rialto songs especially as presumably it was his band as it’s named after him!?
lostinpaddington
Down In The Sewer

Post by lostinpaddington »

Yep fair point I agree re his tribute video very good so spose how Rialto sounded a bit irrelevant in the scheme of things if he’s the best fit.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Anyone listened to the Dave tribute CD yet? I'm thinking it's probably a headphones and bottle of Stella moment (can't stand the stuff tbh but will raise a glass for Dave)

Jim
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 14:08 Most of the album seemed vey familiar due to the songs i had heard live and mainly the videos and singles which I think was a good move but in kicked No Mans Land, wow now that’s a nice surprise.
The song that gave me that tingling down the neck & back moment was Water when Dave’s arpeggios kicked in, just marvellous but I started to well up a bit. Miss the guy already.

I can hear lots of Strangler-isms from years past in these songs but it also has a very modern touch/ sound with the synths and effects on some vocals

I think Down came a bit too soon after Lines though and that’s the only the song I’m not that keen on, yet.

The production on the album is again very modern sounding and there’s many effects/ sounds that I’m not sure is Dave or Louis but I guess it doesn’t matter, they sound great.
I’ve not heard such huge delay/ reverb fx like this on a Stranglers album since on The Raven’s Meninblack with the huge sounding delay/ reverbs behind Dave’s synth. I like it.
Some may say the production is too much but I think it’s just about right.

The drums are solid and powerful in parts. JJ’s bass is as always magnificent and Baz’s guitar although never as inventive or quirky as Hugh sounds great too. Vocals are ok.

Throughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next listen tonight after a few Beers.
Yes but we all really want to know have you shot postie yet with your Blunderbuss? Lt kudu, I'm already having a hissy fit now due to no show of CD, its allegedly coming tomorrow? :smt013
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

Greatkudu wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 08:35
jeanjacketburnel wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 08:17 Wtf is the postie? I only live 200 yards from the delivery office. I'll give them 10 more minutes then I'll be round banging on their door.
Well just had a message my cd has been hijacked and is in Preston, arrives tomorrow. I have my Blunderbuss at the ready. Lt Kudu. :smt005
So is mine, luckily i brought it off itunes last night as well
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said