This Song

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: This Song

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 00:12 If anyone is interested I figured out that the location is around Sultan Street car park in Camberwell and those flats nearby.
Thanks for that, some of us in the sticks wouldn't know that, kind of you to let people know. Lt Kudu.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Anyone else think the band might have missed a trick in not releasing 'This Song' as a downloadable single at the exact same time as the much hyped video?

I haven't seen such a buzz about a new Stranglers single beyond the traditional fanbase for a very long time - or almost universal praise for it either - and I think all the people who are going to be exposed to the video because of the Stuart Pearce connection (the influence of which cannot be denied) might have been tempted to download it the moment they saw the video but you don't have that option at the mo.

For example, as a Nottingham Forest fan (where there is literally no bigger playing hero among the fanbase than the majestic Mr Pearce) I can tell you there are loads of the fans talking about it and it would have been a great opportunity to cash in and spread the Dark Matters love.

That impact still might happen of course but it feels a bit like a missed opportunity to me to really capitalise on amazing interest in an amazing song.....Image

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

saminblack wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 07:18 Anyone else think the band might have missed a trick in not releasing 'This Song' as a downloadable single at the exact same time as the much hyped video?

I haven't seen such a buzz about a new Stranglers single beyond the traditional fanbase for a very long time - or almost universal praise for it either - and I think all the people who are going to be exposed to the video because of the Stuart Pearce connection (the influence of which cannot be denied) might have been tempted to download it the moment they saw the video but you don't have that option at the mo.

For example, as a Nottingham Forest fan (where there is literally no bigger playing hero among the fanbase than the majestic Mr Pearce) I can tell you there are loads of the fans talking about it and it would have been a great opportunity to cash in and spread the Dark Matters love.

That impact still might happen of course but it feels a bit like a missed opportunity to me to really capitalise on amazing interest in an amazing song.....Image

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Yes, could well be the case. Would like to see an additional single release of This Song as download, as CD and vinyl (7", 12") with extra non album tracks (as Anger, Sisterhood). Good old times 😉
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Yes I agree it should have been released this week. Hopefully it will get some radio play next week.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I see no point in a Physical release as most people download songs now, I mean non Stranglers fans, if they had a Physical release only Stranglers fans would buy it,I think they have made a vast effort in what they have done with the videos and the the info about the songs on the website, an excellent job all round. Lt Kudu.
Last edited by Greatkudu on 04 Sep 2021, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Greatkudu wrote:I see no point in a Physical release as most people download songs now, I mean non Stranglers fans, if they had a Physical release only Stranglers fans would buu it,I think they have made a vast effort in what they have done with the videos and the the info about the songs on the website, an excellent job all round. Lt Kudu.
Back to more pressing News...did the Tweed Jacket make an Appearance last Night at the WI Annual Ball??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 10:16 I see no point in a Physical release as most people download songs now, I mean non Stranglers fans, if they had a Physical release only Stranglers fans would buu it,I think they have made a vast effort in what they have done with the videos and the the info about the songs on the website, an excellent job all round. Lt Kudu.
They have made a very clever massive effort and this without question for them is maybe their only one chance again to pounce of getting any real commercial sucess again,there's a rare buzz around the place again what with the pearce video that's outside of the fanbase which lets be honest hasn't happened since Hugh was in the band in the '80s with 96 tears,i say jump on it NOW!
They may never get another chance like this one as their is media intrest outside of the box with Perace bringing them the much needed attention to what is a bloody good song anyway to capitalise on with or without the pearce help, but he's certainly helping them and maybe bringing along the football fans too to what always seems to elude this veteran band nowdays from any real press and social media coverage ... so i say Stranglers... don't let the opportunity slip!
Last edited by toilerinblack on 04 Sep 2021, 11:57, edited 5 times in total.
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Looking at rankings on Amazon and comparing them to those for the Manics and The Vaccines who release their albums on the same day.

The Stranglers are outperforming them both and are number one in the Punk New Wave category. The most telling is number 40
in Cd/Vinyl chart. With all the pre sales from Townsend, the band look good for a healthy chart position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

STEVEh wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 11:45 Looking at rankings on Amazon and comparing them to those for the Manics and The Vaccines who release their albums on the same day.

The Stranglers are outperforming them both and are number one in the Punk New Wave category. The most telling is number 40
in Cd/Vinyl chart. With all the pre sales from Townsend, the band look good for a healthy chart position.

Great Info!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I think you're all wildly overstating this alleged "buzz" that this track/video has outside of the fanbase. It'll be of mild interest to a small portion of Nottingham Forest supporters (and even then, only over a certain age) at best. If there's any "buzz", it's roughly at Norfolk Coast level. I love it when people dare to dream though, even if it's clear The Stranglers are NOT going to get any bigger.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 11:47
STEVEh wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 11:45 Looking at rankings on Amazon and comparing them to those for the Manics and The Vaccines who release their albums on the same day.

Great Info!
Of course, none of this actually means anything.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:
toilerinblack wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 11:47

Great Info!
Of course, none of this actually means anything.
Of course it doesn't.

But it's a good Sign maybe?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cells&Plasma on 04 Sep 2021, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.