Dark Matters review

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters review

Post by Bear Cage »

I agree to an extent with you there Jim, in that from what we’ve heard to date DM does have that Stranglers feel/sound. I think this is partially through it being a proper collaborative effort in the development of ideas into completed songs, which I feel wrt The Stranglers is one of their strengths.
When they are working separately, each delivering almost completed songs for consideration, even if individually these are good songs, they lose some of that ‘Stranglers’ touch and the overall quality of the album suffers, becoming a bolting together of solo efforts. Whereas when they work together the total tends to be better than the sum of the parts, and have more of that Stranglers feel/sound.
This applies to throughout their career, wrt mk1 by the time they got to 10 the majority of songs were being developed individually and then presented for consideration as almost a fait accompli.
Similarly with mkII, initially it was very collaborative, but by the time of WIR JJ, Jet and Dave were almost (disinterested) session players on a JE/PR project, hence it doesn’t have that ‘Stranglers’ sound, with CDG switching the other way and JE/PR marginalised.
For their recent albums they are back to working collaboratively at developing ideas into songs, so the output has The Stranglers sound.
So I’m looking forwards to DM being both a Stranglers album by name, and also one by sound/feel/quality.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 09:42 I agree to an extent with you there Jim, in that from what we’ve heard to date DM does have that Stranglers feel/sound. I think this is partially through it being a proper collaborative effort in the development of ideas into completed songs, which I feel wrt The Stranglers is one of their strengths.
When they are working separately, each delivering almost completed songs for consideration, even if individually these are good songs, they lose some of that ‘Stranglers’ touch and the overall quality of the album suffers, becoming a bolting together of solo efforts. Whereas when they work together the total tends to be better than the sum of the parts, and have more of that Stranglers feel/sound.
This applies to throughout their career, wrt mk1 by the time they got to 10 the majority of songs were being developed individually and then presented for consideration as almost a fait accompli.
Similarly with mkII, initially it was very collaborative, but by the time of WIR JJ, Jet and Dave were almost (disinterested) session players on a JE/PR project, hence it doesn’t have that ‘Stranglers’ sound, with CDG switching the other way and JE/PR marginalised.
For their recent albums they are back to working collaboratively at developing ideas into songs, so the output has The Stranglers sound.
So I’m looking forwards to DM being both a Stranglers album by name, and also one by sound/feel/quality.
Great points.
It's also pretty evident that the most collaborative tracks in the MKII era tended to be the best ones - Valley of the Birds for example is the track highlighted by the band in No Mercy as the best on the album and is the most traditionally Stranglers one on WIR.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 09:42 I agree to an extent with you there Jim, in that from what we’ve heard to date DM does have that Stranglers feel/sound. I think this is partially through it being a proper collaborative effort in the development of ideas into completed songs, which I feel wrt The Stranglers is one of their strengths.
Yes i agree with alot of what you have said and that is the case as a norm for the members working together producing such good material rather than seperate to get the best out of a song,we saw that alot with MK1 and especially towards the end of the Hugh days with them working seperate most of the time with JJ and Hugh bringing their work to the table so to speak like a job and 10 is proof of that.10 was such a seperate and divided sounding album material wise that was a real mixed bag,some of it very good and some really wasn't what with there being JJ songs and Hugh songs,but with Dark Matters that dosen't appear to be the case because of covid Baz and JJ have been working apart in different countries but it still seems to have worked out on the whole very well and have been able to produce some very good work apart from the two of them and them mixed and polished of to gems by the 5th beatle Louie lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 18 Aug 2021, 21:53, edited 2 times in total.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

toilerinblack wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 21:46 …but with Dark Matters that dosen't appear to be the case because of covid Baz and Jj have been working apart in different countries but it still seems to have worked very well and to be able to produce some very good work apart.
I think with DM, although apart they’ve still developed the songs together, providing ideas to each other then each developing prior to passing back. In addition, they commenced working on much of the material pre lockdown, so it’s only the finishing and final songs that had to be worked this way.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 21:52
toilerinblack wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 21:46 …but with Dark Matters that dosen't appear to be the case because of covid Baz and Jj have been working apart in different countries but it still seems to have worked very well and to be able to produce some very good work apart.
I think with DM, although apart they’ve still developed the songs together, providing ideas to each other then each developing prior to passing back. In addition, they commenced working on much of the material pre lockdown, so it’s only the finishing and final songs that had to be worked this way.
Yes of course your right, that was the case like you say thinking about it now with it being more the finishing touches to the album,they did all work as the four of them much earlier in the studio recording before the Dave situation as Baz recalled the last time working with Dave as the four of them on his last demo which was White Stallion.So yes your right thanks.
Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 20:19 10 is obviously the four members of the classic Stranglers line-up exploring a different avenue of their sound to the one they explored on Rattus, but fundamentally the DNA of the band is recognisable as being the same. Dreamtime is one of their very best albums, IMO.
I get what all parties are saying on this The Stranglers/not The Stranglers in their various incarnations etc. I will keep my counsel.

You mentioned DNA running through from Rattus to 10 - and I agree. So, my question is; Ugly and Golden Brown (released only 4.5 years apart) - where exactly do you see the DNA link there?

Cheers.

Rich.
Black and White becomes........
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Rich wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 11:58 my question is; Ugly and Golden Brown (released only 4.5 years apart) - where exactly do you see the DNA link there?
As JJ had no input on Golden Brown it would be fairer to pitch Ugly against let's say, La Folie.

Regarding the DNA link between the two - there isn't any but if my position was to maintain there was, the 'evidence' would just be subjective takes on the substance of the music and songwriting - reading into it in other words.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Rich wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 11:58 where exactly do you see the DNA link there?
In the inherent melodic/rhythmic sense of the members involved and the way those talents combine and coalesce to create the end result. This is what makes the classic Stranglers line-up sound like The Stranglers, and why any other four musicians fulfilling the same roles wouldn't. You change the members, you change the DNA - simple.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I've just read the mojo review, a nice review, as for DNA if you listen to Freedom is Insane, it has the Stranglers DNA in spades minus Hugh, in fact its one of my fave ever Stranglers songs, and with the Cluster Fuck that's Afghanistan now, its become even more Poignant, even though its about Iraq, another cluster fuck, all the good the British did in Afghanistan is now pointless as the new fluffy Taliban are changed people? and im the Pope. Lt Kudu, in turmoil at the tragedy in Afghanistan.

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:03 I've just read the mojo review, a nice review, as for DNA if you listen to Freedom is Insane, it has the Stranglers DNA in spades minus Hugh, in fact its one of my fave ever Stranglers songs, and with the Cluster Fuck that's Afghanistan now, its become even more Poignant, even though its about Iraq, another cluster fuck, all the good the British did in Afghanistan is now pointless as the new fluffy Taliban are changed people? and im the Pope. Lt Kudu, in turmoil at the tragedy in Afghanistan.
If nothing else, at least Sleepy Joe has been exposed as being utterly unfit for purpose.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:35
Greatkudu wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:03 I've just read the mojo review, a nice review, as for DNA if you listen to Freedom is Insane, it has the Stranglers DNA in spades minus Hugh, in fact its one of my fave ever Stranglers songs, and with the Cluster Fuck that's Afghanistan now, its become even more Poignant, even though its about Iraq, another cluster fuck, all the good the British did in Afghanistan is now pointless as the new fluffy Taliban are changed people? and im the Pope. Lt Kudu, in turmoil at the tragedy in Afghanistan.
If nothing else, at least Sleepy Joe has been exposed as being utterly unfit for purpose.
I won't bore you, but I think JJ summed it up in the new interview, you can't impose western democracy on a country that never had it, Britain was defeated in the Afghan war of 1880 at Maiwand, the Russians and now the Americans and British again, they need to learn from history and stop trying to impose their will on a country run by tribal clans. Sorry to bore you and go on to much, I did alot of work In support of the campaign but will stop their. Lt Kudu.

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:53 I won't bore you, but I think JJ summed it up in the new interview, you can't impose western democracy on a country that never had it, Britain was defeated in the Afghan war of 1880 at Maiwand, the Russians and now the Americans and British again, they need to learn from history and stop trying to impose their will on a country run by tribal clans. Sorry to bore you and go on to much, I did alot of work In support of the campaign but will stop their. Lt Kudu.
Not bored at all - nice to hear from someone who knows the history - and yes, forcing cultures to prematurely 'evolve' is too much.

Of course, we have some previous Stranglers crossover with Afghanistan on Vladimir And The Beast.