If something's going to kill me...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: If something's going to kill me...

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 15:32
Greatkudu wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 15:21 I like and I am joining the criteque club now, my only slight concern about the album is that it will sound a bit disjointed, ie the tracks recorded in bits in bobs and long break between completing drum parts etc, obviously not the bands fault as they were in bits with the loss of Dave and they always will be as we all will, but with such a diverse range of styles and what we have heard so far, doesn't seem much cohesion, I guess we will only find out if it works, when we hear the album, sorry to be negative, I'm just expressing a view, but I do like all the tracks I have heard so far, and at least we know now the reason this song has drum machine or electronic pads, they wanted a kratwerk feel, and very touching Louie using keyboards that Dave would have used, but I like to think my slightly negative views are constructive? Lt Kudu :smt006
I don't mind it being disjointed because the tracks that are straying from the usual template are the ones that I like :grin:
I don't mean disjointed because tracks are straying from usual template, I just mean because due to tragic events, it's been recorded in bits and bobs, of course they used to record in a different way in the old days, but it certainly will be a diverse album, and I welcome that, will just be interesting to see how it flows as an album, but I really like this song, and again Louie a very talented chap, I won der if he can play drums? He probably can.Lt Kudu. :smt006
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

The original Oberheim’s were customised and then stolen in New York in 1980. Dave still had a handsome collection of his original keyboards but practically speaking software substitutes are always going to be less of a headache for touring and in the studio. Technology has advanced to the point that you can accurately replicate the sounds without tuning the Oberheim every hour.

Having said that I was sometimes disappointed by a few of Dave’s live keyboard sounds through the noughties and over the last decade.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Mathew S wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 15:53 Having said that I was sometimes disappointed by a few of Dave’s live keyboard sounds through the noughties and over the last decade.
Ditto. That must've been by design as they're so easy to achieve even on the cheap?

Didn't know Dave kept all his old keyboards (post 80.)

You can get modern replicas made by Oberheim which don't have oscillator drift...cost an arm and a leg though...
lostinpaddington
Down In The Sewer

Post by lostinpaddington »

If they play it live will JJ go offstage or maybe he could play the trumpet part? :grin:
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Mathew S wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 15:53 The original Oberheim’s were customised and then stolen in New York in 1980. Dave still had a handsome collection of his original keyboards but practically speaking software substitutes are always going to be less of a headache for touring and in the studio. Technology has advanced to the point that you can accurately replicate the sounds without tuning the Oberheim every hour.
Tuning the Oberheim used to be a live feature! Interesting Matthew... do you know in what ways Dave's 4/8 voice was customised?

My own opinion is that the software versions have many benefits but don't quite nail the sound 100% and I own all the Oberheim ones. In a live environment it would hardly be noticable.
8088 wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 16:07 Ditto. That must've been by design as they're so easy to achieve even on the cheap?
You can get modern replicas made by Oberheim which don't have oscillator drift...ost an arm and a leg though...
Not really. Tom O did remake the Two-Voice but not the four or eight voice. I guess you are referring to the Sequential OB-6 (in conjunction with Tom). Yes, it's been out a few years now. I guess Dave just got used to the reliability of the digital world.

Funnily enough I was watching some youtube videos yesterday of the Oberheim OBXa. It sounded glorious. I did own one years ago but it was old, clunky and temperamental. I will have to get the Behringer version when released.
Let's Boogie

Post by 8088 »

markorbit wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 16:49 Not really. Tom O did remake the Two-Voice but not the four or eight voice. I guess you are referring to the Sequential OB-6 (in conjunction with Tom). Yes, it's been out a few years now. I guess Dave just got used to the reliability of the digital world.
I wasn't specifically referring to 4/8 voice models just the notion you can get contemporary Oberheims that don't drift.

I'm guessing the 2 voice reissues have MIDI so daisychaining a few together would give you a collossal sound!

Have you tried Arturia iSem?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

8088 wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 17:04
markorbit wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 16:49 Not really. Tom O did remake the Two-Voice but not the four or eight voice. I guess you are referring to the Sequential OB-6 (in conjunction with Tom). Yes, it's been out a few years now. I guess Dave just got used to the reliability of the digital world.
I wasn't specifically referring to 4/8 voice models just the notion you can get contemporary Oberheims that don't drift.

I'm guessing the 2 voice reissues have MIDI so daisychaining a few together would give you a collossal sound!

Have you tried Arturia iSem?
I guess that would be the smartphone version. I have the Arturia SEM for Mac, along with Synapse Obsession, OPX Pro and a couple of others.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

You Keyboard Geeks, Joking of course. Lt Kudu :smt005
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

So it wasn't a demo then!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 18:26 So it wasn't a demo then!
Well we now know why there are no real bass or drums on song as it was an ode to Kraftwerk, as we know one of JJs fave songs is the model by Kraftwerk, one of mine to and nothing to do with it being one of JJs Faves. Lt Kudu. :smt005
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Used to be into the "electronic pop/ rock" music back then, especially kraftwerk & omd. These days not so much. Even so no doubt this is a nice song by the stranglers. It's probably the most electronic thing they've ever done?
I Hate You !

Post by 8088 »

aldinblack wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 18:43 It's probably the most electronic thing they've ever done?
Vladimir & Olga?