Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Ramones

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

jetblacksdad wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 13:56 Are shit

Discuss.
Some of their songs are ok-ish, but they were New York’s answer to the Bay City Rollers weren’t they? Or at least they wanted to be or thought they could be.
What I find annoying but I shouldn’t give a flying fucking shite about is when you ask some young bird with big tits who’s wearing a Ramones t-shirt -

Me “Are you a fan, whats your fave song?”

Her “Huh? Whatta you mean, like?”

Me “Your Ramones t-shirt, you a fan then?”

Her “No I don’t know ‘what’ it is, It looked kewl and I bought it from Primark for £2.50 and I’m a thick cunt chav, like”

Me “Oh do fuck off but not before sucking me Cock, like”
dreamtime101
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by dreamtime101 »

The Ramones are second (and a very close second) only to the Stranglers IMO. Too many great songs to list and live they were always fantastic.
porkymeat

Post by porkymeat »

Quite like the album they did with Phil Spectre.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

Bonzo goes to Bitburg has been playing rent-free in my head for the past week or so. Strangely a bit of a tearjerker.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 13:56 Are shit

Discuss.
I agree!
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I never got them. Maybe you had to be there in 1975/76.
Let's Boogie
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah I'm not keen but they don't offend me. I think the world is a better place for their existance. I remember buying one of their albums in my teens on CD and thinking "How can there be 32 tracks on this CD?!" :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

My mate saw them support Dr Feelgood in the 70s and he really enjoyed it.

Possibly this was down to the smallish venue. I saw them in the 80s at Reading Festival and was bored after they repeated the same song again and again and again.

The irony is I should like them because I am occasionally susceptible to basic 3 chord pummeling.

Nevermind...
ThinkTank

Post by ThinkTank »

Palais23 wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 13:52 My mate saw them support Dr Feelgood in the 70s and he really enjoyed it.

Possibly this was down to the smallish venue. I saw them in the 80s at Reading Festival and was bored after they repeated the same song again and again and again.

The irony is I should like them because I am occasionally susceptible to basic 3 chord pummeling.

Nevermind...
I nearly posted the exact same thing earlier we probably was both at the same gig
It was very much like "1,2,3,4 lets play the same song as before!!"

I used to give the band the odd spin on the turn table when i was younger but its not a band that has any longevity as you get older. Also had anthology on CD at one time.

I am sure they were popular because they had words like teenager and punk rock in their song titles and were known as the band that hung out with the pistols and clash.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The Ramones are shit? Really ? One of the most influential bands ever IMHO,so many great songs,all the Punk bands in Britain owe there existence to the Ramones,and there songs were actually clever,I am surprised anyone would not like the Ramones,and also the fantastic look they had with the Leather biker jackets and jeans with holes in,ok you miserable bastards joking, play a song like We want the Airwaves if you think they were Just Bubblegum Punk.And as for the T shirt thing,yes the band that Spawned a million t shirts where the the majority who wear them, don't know even know one song.Major Kudu.
ThinkTank

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 11:10 The Ramones are shit? Really ? One of the most influential bands ever IMHO,so many great songs,all the Punk bands in Britain owe there existence to the Ramones,and there songs were actually clever,I am surprised anyone would not like the Ramones,and also the fantastic look they had with the Leather biker jackets and jeans with holes in,ok you miserable bastards joking, play a song like We want the Airwaves if you think they were Just Bubblegum Punk.And as for the T shirt thing,yes the band that Spawned a million t shirts where the the majority who wear them, don't know even know one song.Major Kudu.
I wouldnt say they are shit. They are quite good for a quick listen at times or pick a song i like to listen too. The comment of every song sounds the same when seeing them live is a valid one it comes across as more obvious live with out all the studio effects.

I would say they are a band that don't age well. I am also not too sure how they were influential other than a good to know if you are a punk rock band wanting to break in to America but musically hmm not too sure about that. A band for the youth i would say.

I still like hearing Blitzkrieg Pop but a fantastic look ? I think i detected your irony and sarcasm there :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThinkTank wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 09:55
Greatkudu wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 11:10 The Ramones are shit? Really ? One of the most influential bands ever IMHO,so many great songs,all the Punk bands in Britain owe there existence to the Ramones,and there songs were actually clever,I am surprised anyone would not like the Ramones,and also the fantastic look they had with the Leather biker jackets and jeans with holes in,ok you miserable bastards joking, play a song like We want the Airwaves if you think they were Just Bubblegum Punk.And as for the T shirt thing,yes the band that Spawned a million t shirts where the the majority who wear them, don't know even know one song.Major Kudu.
I wouldnt say they are shit. They are quite good for a quick listen at times or pick a song i like to listen too. The comment of every song sounds the same when seeing them live is a valid one it comes across as more obvious live with out all the studio effects.

I would say they are a band that don't age well. I am also not too sure how they were influential other than a good to know if you are a punk rock band wanting to break in to America but musically hmm not too sure about that. A band for the youth i would say.

I still like hearing Blitzkrieg Pop but a fantastic look ? I think i detected your irony and sarcasm there :grin:
Sir no irony, nothing is as cool as black biker jacket,a true story Joey Ramone once ordered a Pizza from his home and he came to the door dressed in his black leather biker jacket,love that story,and musically they were as tight as a Scotsmans wallet,no offense intended,to keep that speed up like they did,you needed to be fucking good, believe me.Major Kudu.