Ponomusic

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Ponomusic

Post by Manc In Black »

I'm not sure I understand why i'd want to buy one of these players to listen to the Stranglers.
The encouraging thing is that they are on there & starting to have tracks loaded.

The site talks about better quality listening.

Anyone know about this & whether it's about to take over?

http://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=aboutus

http://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__Produc ... er=&store=

Pono_Music_Player_Yellow_01.jpg
Pono_Music_Player_Yellow_01.jpg (19.37 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Ponomusic

Post by dan-electro »

It sounds like they are saying that they are going to reproduce the sound of an original album on vinyl through a very high spec digital device (which will be like your virtual high spec turntable). Since CD's were released the music buying public have complained that the CD wasn't replicating the original sound of the vinyl record on a turntable (which is true). This company are claiming that they have a device (@$399) that can give you the 'true sound' of the original releases back in the day and that nothing will be lost. I would wait until the audiophiles get their hands on it and start to review it before I would go anywhere near it. :|
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

It's just a glorified music player. All I can see is that the digital files you can subscribe to with the service/player be higher resolution than *most* artists normally make stuff available at.... ie, MP3 only goes to 320,000 megabits per second. A CD has 1.4 million Mbits/s. High resolution Wav files can hit 4 million MBits/s ... basically more bits = better sound! MP3 is lossy, as to get the file size down you 'lose' sound quality. SACD (Super audio CD) hits 5.6 MBits/s ... but is a niche area.

Digital sound is broken into bits and recreated with a DAC, digital-analogue converter... this reconstructs the sound so it can be heard through speakers and earphones etc. These vary in quality and price....and performance.

Vinyl has so-called 'infinite' resolution, the sound exists as an analogue wave in the first place (the groove)

The Raven Roughs i did the other day were technically higher quality than a CD (2.4mBits) if you used the FLAC files (free lossless audio codec).

You don't need a PONO machine to play any of these hi-res formats and reap the benefits... audiophiles been doing it for years! I got the last Kate Bush LP at 4 MBits/s (24bit/96k) and Pearl jam offer their bootlegs at better than CD quality and they sound ace.

The idea behind PONO is to popularize and make people want to hear hi-res files, which I'm all for...!

Hope this helps!
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Leversun
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Leversun »

How use an online file converter? I know many different tools for example here How useful this serves?
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Wasn’t that the pono MP3 player Neil Young came out with? Don’t know what the sound quality was like but it looked like it was designed by monkeys shitting in their hands and clapping, went the way of that other POS the Microsoft Zune MP3 player.
Stick to writing music Mr Young cos your great at it and Microsoft stick to stealing ideas from everyone especially Apple and being the most uncreative POS company on the planet cos that’s the only two things your good at.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Yup Neil Young came up with this, threw a loada dosh at it,
think it near bankrupted the old dude.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

MiB81 wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 16:59 Yup Neil Young came up with this, threw a loada dosh at it,
think it near bankrupted the old dude.
Silly Twunt, yeah prob why he had to sell up his farm and shit and move to LA LA Land and shack up with a Darryl.
I do blame it on that Darryl Hannah bloke he’s shagging, she / he’s a mentalist.
Who’d shag a Darryl anyway? Darryls a blokes name surely? Kin ell heS married him/ her.
Just hope she doesn’t effect his superb songwriting abilities, I don’t want to be hearing, I love you, love you, love you and 😍 , and that like, shite.