The Fall influenced by The Stranglers?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Fall influenced by The Stranglers?

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Been listening to a lot of The Fall recently and they are definitely a 'Marmite' type a band. Some songs I absolutely love and some songs I absolutely do not love whatsoever! and I'm sure someone in The Fall musta been a Stranglers fan?
'Bremen Nacht Alternative' is very similar to the 'Bring On The Nubiles' riff and 'Gut Of The Quantifier' is very similar to the 'Bear Cage' riff. Mark E. Smith Deffo sounded like Hugh earlier on and I clearly remember back in 1980 a girl at school asking me "Do You Think Mark E. Smith sounds like Hugh Cornwell?"
"Yes! he does! well spotted!" (I was really impressed that she said that, we were only 13 years young, I just can't imagine kids nowadays discussing Mark E. Smith & The Fall in the playground)

Anymore Fall songs that sound like The Stranglers?
Cheers.

:smt017
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: The Fall influenced by The Stranglers?

Post by Yanders »

I'm the same - I can listen to the fall all day, but I have to skip over half the tracks.

I absolutely loved 'This Nations Saving Grace', and I'm jealous that you had someone to talk to about them. I had no one. It was just me in a sea of kagagoogoo and Spandau ballet fans.

There was comparison between the fall and mib, not only the vocals (before hugh started to sing) but the bass as well. But they have had so many people through the band it would be impossible for at least a couple of them not to be strangles fans. I don't remember mark saying he was influenced - I doubt he wouldn't admit to it even if he was. :grin:

Like mib, the fall can do a good cover version, I liked their version of lost in music. (It might not be that good - it's been a while and I may have been drunk every time I heard it.)

I can't help you with other song. One thing I could never do is remember the names of fall songs.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Yanders wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 20:40 I'm the same - I can listen to the fall all day, but I have to skip over half the tracks.

I absolutely loved 'This Nations Saving Grace', and I'm jealous that you had someone to talk to about them. I had no one. It was just me in a sea of kagagoogoo and Spandau ballet fans.

There was comparison between the fall and mib, not only the vocals (before hugh started to sing) but the bass as well. But they have had so many people through the band it would be impossible for at least a couple of them not to be strangles fans. I don't remember mark saying he was influenced - I doubt he wouldn't admit to it even if he was. :grin:

Like mib, the fall can do a good cover version, I liked their version of lost in music. (It might not be that good - it's been a while and I may have been drunk every time I heard it.)

I can't help you with other song. One thing I could never do is remember the names of fall songs.
It was played yesterday afty on 6Radio! Not sure if I've ever heard it on the radio before :grin: .

I'm not sure if the Fall were influenced by our band, or vice-versa, both created some classic bass-led tunes in my opinion. Arthur, I wanted Smith to replace Hugh when he left, true story :smt003
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

There's probably loads of bands inspired by the Stranglers. Inspiral Carpets, The Cure, Teardrop Explodes, Simple Minds and the Damned now sound quite similar imo.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Yanders wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 20:40 I'm the same - I can listen to the fall all day, but I have to skip over half the tracks.

Kajafagortwo and Spandau ballet fans?
Sorry to hear that mate, that is not good.
Yeah I noticed some of the bass players are a bit JJ ish but they just don't have JJ's tone. I like the bass on a recent ish Fall choon- Blindness.
Simple but very effective.
Yeah the amount of people who've been in The Fall (2,000000?) like you said i bet one or two would be Stranglers fans! thought that was funny what Mark Riley I think said in a documentary that if he went outside now he would bump into ex Fall members.
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 13 Jun 2018, 12:38, edited 3 times in total.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

jason wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 08:19 There's probably loads of bands inspired by the Stranglers. Inspiral Carpets, The Cure, Teardrop Explodes, Simple Minds and the Damned now sound quite similar imo.
This is true but people still continue to write about the Doors comparison which gets so tiring after 40 years. The last person who did The Stranglers & Doors comparison on this forum was going over the same old Doors stuff so I hold him not to write about who has influenced/inspired The Stranglers but write about who The Stranglers have influenced/inspired instead. Yeah like the bands you mentioned and the rest.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Bobinblack wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 08:00

It was played yesterday afty on 6Radio! Not sure if I've ever heard it on the radio before :grin: .

I'm not sure if the Fall were influenced by our band, or vice-versa, both created some classic bass-led tunes in my opinion. Arthur, I wanted Smith to replace Hugh when he left, true story :smt003
lol! Really? That would be insane but hilarious! Mark E. Smith wouldn't last long, he'd be doing his 'live mixing' and twiddling with JJ's amp knobs until JJ gave him a slap and told him to behave himself. Don't think Baz would like his knobs played with either, ooh matron. :shock: :mrgreen:
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Mark e smith interpretation of golden brown would have been a sight to see.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 12:26
Bobinblack wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 08:00

lol! Really? That would be insane but hilarious! Mark E. Smith wouldn't last long, he'd be doing his 'live mixing' and twiddling with JJ's amp knobs until JJ gave him a slap and told him to behave himself. Don't think Baz would like his knobs played with either, ooh matron. :shock: :mrgreen:
I was 28 years younger and more immature but yes it's true, i just felt that I didn't want too radical a change with the band's sound and I thought Smithy was also not a typical crooner :). We got Paul Roberts so that wasn't too much of a difference was it? :grin: I'd seen the Fall loads of times but was never really as observant then so I didn't notice what a prat Smith could be - my mate Ian was massively into them so I'd go to Fall gigs almost as a duty, and of course they weren't sell-out gigs in those days. In recent years it's been a pain in the arse for Fall tickets and it was obvious plenty were at gigs just to tick it off on their fucking Gig Bucket list or Instafuckinggram hobby or just to say they saw the Fall & that freak MES without giving a shit about the actual music :evil: . I don't know about Stranglers influencing bands but I'm always proud to hear other bands/artistes praising them and plenty have. I think the Doors comparison is tired TBH but what the heck, almost EVERY band/artiste in history is influenced by someone else. Actually it's more an allegation than a simple comparison, people almost accusing bands of 'copying' others which is bullshit much of the time. Certainly, IMHO, when it's aimed at The Stranglers.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

quite liked The Fall, only saw them once mind about 10 years ago, maybe more. They were supporting the buzzcocks.

Mark E Smith didn't look too well and kind of shuffled around the stage. And twiddled knobs, made fuck all difference to the sound....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The Unnutterable has got a very MKII Stranglers vibe about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkfIdJVf2Y etc

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

theraven1979 wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 19:55 The Unnutterable has got a very MKII Stranglers vibe about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkfIdJVf2Y etc

Jim
Great track mate and also like MKI, sounds like early Hugh.
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 15 Jun 2018, 11:40, edited 3 times in total.