new damned album

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: new damned album

Post by jason »

That's great. Much higher than Giants got to and yet surely the Stranglers are the bigger band?
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

jason wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 18:25 That's great. Much higher than Giants got to and yet surely the Stranglers are the bigger band?
I suppose we'll find out when they finally release album #18. Giants was six years ago after all, and the charts are different again now due to the resurgence of vinyl and older bands putting proper campaigns together with the Pledge thing, videos, proper use of social media etc...
Sparks, Damned, Gary Numan and others have all had top ten albums in the past year - Stranglers take note!
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Damned have their original singer

Jim
jason wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 18:25 That's great. Much higher than Giants got to and yet surely the Stranglers are the bigger band?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

True. I'm sure the Giants album cover did not help sales too.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 19:38 Damned have their original singer

Jim
Stranglers still have two of them if we're going down that road again.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Just heard the new Damned album is at number 7 in the album charts, there first ever top 10 album apparently. And we went mad when Norfolk Coast got to number 75!. Strange that The Stranglers have a bigger fan-base than The Damned yet "Giant's" get's no where. As much as J.J say's "Giant's" has sold over 50,000 copies world wide now. it's hard to believe that The Stranglers have had 8 top 10 albums from 1977 to 1990 and The Damned have had one in 42 years!.
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

I think it's brilliant The Damned are at no.7 in the album chart,whatever that means these days.Haven't posted on here for ages because of The Stranglers mediocrity these days,but top marks to The Damned.
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture
laurie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by laurie »

Top 7 sounds good but is it .
How many copies have they sold to do it
that what matters
do you wanna
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Taken from the official charts website:

"Contrary to much myth, you currently need to sell more music to make the Official Singles Charts than for many years – the average Official Number 1 single has sold between 100,000 and 110,000 copies a week in 2013 and 2014, while you have needed to sell 7,500 to 8,000 copies to make the top 40. Likewise, you have had to sell around 60,000-plus copies to become the Official Number 1 Album and sell 4,000 to 4,500 reach number 40."

My guess would be somewhere between 4,000 and 60,000 copies. :grin:

Because it doesn't cost anything to download an album, many people will have a quick listen who would never dream of spending actual money on it, at least before they have heard a few tracks. I think the damned has had good publicity for the release.

Also, I think many people have a soft spot for the damned, everyone knows they had the first punk single, at at one point every other baby girl was called Eloise. They may not have sold many records historical, but they are well known.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I notice though that a lot of albums in the current chart we're released a long time ago so maybe the Damned didn't need to sell that many to make the top ten. I'm still surprised though the last few Stranglers albums haven't performed well in the charts.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

jason wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 21:57 I notice though that a lot of albums in the current chart we're released a long time ago so maybe the Damned didn't need to sell that many to make the top ten. I'm still surprised though the last few Stranglers albums haven't performed well in the charts.
I'm sure it was quite a lot, the trick is the pre-ordering and the Pledge campaign. It guarantees big first-week sales. Basically if the next Stranglers album can't do that then they're gong to look pretty stupid. This wasn't such a big thing back in 2012 hence the lower position for Giants. The charts have changed quite a lot over the past decade, this Pledge thing is about the only positive change I can think of though...

As an aside, the last Ash album in 2015 was a Pledge thing but only got to number 41. Either things have changed again in the past three years or Ash aren't as popular as I think they are.
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

Great result.
It's a very good album. Simple as surely?

Visconti's production is a big factor too; it just sounds great and is very well balanced.

As for comparisons with The Stranglers - personally I'll be very surprised if there's a new album and if there is they'll have their work cut out to get near Evil Spirits. Is there anything left in the tank (apart from the annual pantomime performances)?
:lol:
This can't be undone