new damned album

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

sewer rat
Rats Rally

new damned album

Post by sewer rat »

SHOCKING!!!!!!!
fans of the small faces will love this. fans of sensibles guitar work won't....as he isn't even on the fucking album (well, barely). the opening song is a killer but that's it....and this from a life-long damned fan
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: new damned album

Post by jetblacksdad »

I think it's better than that! Some strong songs

But you're right that Sensible has been airbrushed out!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

I love the album! I think Sensible is just serving the songs...as the best musicians do!
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

My copy is on its way. What I've heard on Spotify so far sounds quite good but I guess after ten years it should be good!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I have to say this has to be one of The Damned's finest albums for many a year,they were always my second fave band but took a dip after the last one

"So Who's Paranoid"? But saw them live at end of January and loved them,I have been playing this album all weekend,and my fave songs change daily.

I am not going to give track by track review but overview,Some are saying the Captain has been air brushed ? If that means that every song doesn't

have a Hendrix style solo then yes,but the Captain can do under stated? (Not live) but on here he is doing some sublime riffs and understated playing.

There are a few songs when he lets rip with the guitar,but he is playing for the songs,and proves what a fine player he is,and great songwriter.

One of the odder songs is "Sonar Deceit" about Whales and Dolphins running aground to to sonic pollution in the sea,a hear felt lyric put to a tight

rhythm that reminds me a bit of "Maries the name of his Latest Flame" by Elvis,and gorgeous hammond sounding keys from the crazy Monty,and one

of the highlights is Monty's keyboards,his playing is just fantastic reminds me of DG a bit or Ray Manzarek (Doors).The Damned really have set the bar

high they are not afraid of risks with this album,Of course the Dulcet tones of Dave Vanian are as strong as ever,but he seems so have come up a key

on some songs,showing his range.Paul Grey's bass is the best it has sounded,I have not heard a better Bass sound apart from JJ,his playing is superb

on this album,it's like the Captain is letting him have a bit more limelight? As he did the band a big favour by playing on the album,the album has

a cohesive theme running through it Ie:lies of Politicians and the media etc,who would think that a band like the Damned would be shaming these

idiots on an album over 40 years after there first release,but this is a mature Damned still with humour but with a collective observation of some of

the wrongs in the world today,but giving hope to.Lastly a mention to PInch his drum work is sublime but not overdone and he has also proved to be

a fine songwriter to,to sum up,if you like well crafted melodic songs and music buy this album,you wont be disappointed.It really is one of the finest

Damned albums IMHO,and lastly Visconti has done a fine job on production,he should produce the new Stranglers album,think they need an outside

opinion? Lt Kudu reduced to ranks.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

It's certainly sounding pretty good to me at the moment.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Great album this, I think "Look Left" is my favourite track so far but also enjoying "We're So Nice" and "Sonar Deceit" a lot.
Interesting to see in the midweek chart it's currently at number 5! Biggest hit album for the Damned ever and first ever top ten? We'll find out Friday evening... 8)
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 16:18 ....and lastly Visconti has done a fine job on production,he should produce the new Stranglers album,think they need an outside
opinion? Lt Kudu reduced to ranks.
Good review whichs sums up a real good album by The Damned. And I agree, the new Stranglers album should not be produced themselves, bring in an external creative producer who is capable to bring in the extras to make the new Stranglers songs really special. Good luck!
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Video of "Look Left" from the new Damned album... Maybe only possible due the huge amount of cash that the pledge campaign has brought. So dear Stranglers this is the benchmark for your next studio performance :smt007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za7S1q4qU2Q
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I have been playing this album non stop since i got it through the post on Friday. I am on my 8th listen now. It's an album that is recorded on Anelouge, and has a very 60's sound to it. The band play great on this, and espeically Monty and Paul gray have some great playing through out the album. Captain's guitar definitley does seemed to be turned down in the mix. But here's my review of the album song by song

Standing On the Edge Of tomorrow
Great opener, we already heard this one live.

The Devil in Disguise
Another one we heard on the tour, the album version is actually very similar to the live version, not one of the best song's on the album, but this take's a few listen's to get use to.

Were so nice
instantly hit's you as a great song, Captain's guitar work, and great meleody and Dave's voice shine's through. This is already a modern day classic in the same vein as Dark Asteroid. My only problem with the song is that i feel it could go on for longer, as it finishes, Captain is about to go into a guitar solo. This one will be a live favourite.

Look Left
Two classic's in a row, albeit this one start's with a piano intro from Monty. Dave and Monty work really well on this song, as it changes direction midway through the song. Musically this is one of my favourite's on the album. This will be a live favourite for years to come too.

Evil Spirits
We heard this one live on the tour, not as good as the previous two, but some great bass playing from Paul Gray, and keyboard playing from Monty. This is the cloesest they get to sounding like The Stranglers when the bass and keyboards mix together for a nice solo.

Shadow Evocation Ok this is Dave's moment on the album, so it does what it say's on the tin. A very Absinthe intro like on Grave Disorder. This is the song where Dave, is at his most Experimental. This is in my top 3 on the album.

sonar Deciet
Many say this is a great song, but to me it's the first dud song on the album, a song mixed of song's you have already of heard before, specially A town called mallice by The Jam. Not much going on here.

proscrasnation
again a nice enough song, with Dave Greenfield organ like work from Monty, but as the song goes on it fails to inspire, and instead sees to how many times they can mention the title of the song in one song!. Better than Sonar Deciet at least.

The Daily Liar
This is brilliant, and Clearly it has Classic Captain Sensible writting,written all over it. It has a good riff, good lyrics, and even a bongo jam in the middle. A modern day Anti Pope this one!.

I don't Care
the album's closer, as epic closer's go this is no Curtain Call, but features some great vocals from Dave, and keyboards from Monty.

So there we have it with more good song's than poor songs The damned have deliverd one of the best albums possibly since Strawberries. While it's not Damned Damned Damned again like many thought it would be they have proved they have still got it, and want to produce something new and worth listening to. The Good song's are really good,which is what makes the album. 9/10. I look forward to meeting them tomorrow at HMV in Oxford Street.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Looks like The Damned's new album will makte the top 10 in the album charts this week... :smt006
https://www.loudersound.com/news/the-da ... -look-left
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Great to see the reviews. I love the album. Kudu-San, you have put Captain's work into perspective for me. Cheers.

Sonar Deceit goes round my head non stop.
Evil Spirits is awesome and I don't care is brilliant.
They could have made that a 10 minute epic.

If The Stranglers could do this, well, I'd be happy. They came close with NC.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+