1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Re: 1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by sewer rat »

this wasn't quite my first stranglers gig but i'd like to share this anyway. it was at the edinburgh playhouse october 1986. ma brother turned up at ma flat looking like what could only be described as a cross between a black panther militant and an urban terrorist. ah pissed maself laughing and said, "wait there". went into some drawers in ma bedroom and returned with an old black beret and black 'wrap-around' shades. so, that's what he wore. fast forward to the encores of the band. they invited members of the audience up on stage for Nice 'N Sleazy (ah think they were hoping for lots of girls removing their clothes) but what they got was about 40+ male yobs jumping about. band left the stage and ma brother appeared back at our seats....minus the beret and shades. "oi! where's ma shit!!" ah yelled. to which he replied..."J.J's got 'em!! ah thought....lying twat. until......band reappear for another encore and there's J.J.Burnel bangin' away on his bass wearing ma beret and wrap-arounds....ha ha. quality
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

sewer rat wrote:this wasn't quite my first stranglers gig but i'd like to share this anyway. it was at the edinburgh playhouse october 1986. ma brother turned up at ma flat looking like what could only be described as a cross between a black panther militant and an urban terrorist. ah pissed maself laughing and said, "wait there". went into some drawers in ma bedroom and returned with an old black beret and black 'wrap-around' shades. so, that's what he wore. fast forward to the encores of the band. they invited members of the audience up on stage for Nice 'N Sleazy (ah think they were hoping for lots of girls removing their clothes) but what they got was about 40+ male yobs jumping about. band left the stage and ma brother appeared back at our seats....minus the beret and shades. "oi! where's ma shit!!" ah yelled. to which he replied..."J.J's got 'em!! ah thought....lying twat. until......band reappear for another encore and there's J.J.Burnel bangin' away on his bass wearing ma beret and wrap-arounds....ha ha. quality
Nice one! 8) and Hi :smt006
Thank you very much
EiTC
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

elvisintheclouds wrote:
sewer rat wrote:this wasn't quite my first stranglers gig but i'd like to share this anyway. it was at the edinburgh playhouse october 1986. ma brother turned up at ma flat looking like what could only be described as a cross between a black panther militant and an urban terrorist. ah pissed maself laughing and said, "wait there". went into some drawers in ma bedroom and returned with an old black beret and black 'wrap-around' shades. so, that's what he wore. fast forward to the encores of the band. they invited members of the audience up on stage for Nice 'N Sleazy (ah think they were hoping for lots of girls removing their clothes) but what they got was about 40+ male yobs jumping about. band left the stage and ma brother appeared back at our seats....minus the beret and shades. "oi! where's ma shit!!" ah yelled. to which he replied..."J.J's got 'em!! ah thought....lying twat. until......band reappear for another encore and there's J.J.Burnel bangin' away on his bass wearing ma beret and wrap-arounds....ha ha. quality
Nice one! 8) and Hi :smt006
Good one!
No one can win against kipple.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

ThruBeingCool wrote:This has got to be one of the best threads I've read on here for a while. If you read through it there's lots of posts from different people who don't contribute that often which makes it all the more interesting imho. There's life in the old forum yet :!:
Secunded.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Fiferinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Fiferinblack »

My first Gig was 22nd Nov 1981 at the Edinburgh playhouse.

The meninblack tour. Mix up of Meninblack and La Folie tracks if I remember correctly.
teshka
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by teshka »

The Rainbow Finsbury. November 1st. Still got the ticket but not sure what year. Someone help me out. Late 70s.
yesican
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by yesican »

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by Boody »

1979 supporting the Who at Wembley stadium. Bit annoyed I missed them at Brunel University where they must have played around '77 and is a couple of miles from where I lived. I remember the poster billed them as "The Stranlers".
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

10 tour at Brixton. The only time I ever saw them with Hugh. :?
stuartinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by stuartinblack »

Glasgow apollo who wants the world tour hooked ever since
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

No Nukes Festival, Utrecht, The Netherlands April.9th 1982
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Glasgow Apollo September 30 1978.

What a defining moment in my life. Was only 12 and begged my mum to let me go. Was allowed as my pal who lived across the road from me was 15.

The ticket was £2 and we queued for hours to get them. We ended up almost at the back of the circle, even up there people spent the whole gig standing on the seats.

I think they started with Ugly, a bit of a disaster with equipment breaking down.

The stripper was a bit of a shock at my age! Still it was cool to brag to my S1 pals the next day at school.

From that point on I went to all the gigs at the Apollo except one I missed in 1980. What a venue that was. Totally different to the ones at the Playhouse in Edinburgh.