M*A*S*H

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

M*A*S*H

Post by Burn e 77 »

M*A*S*H - What a good TV series that was back in the day, they don't make them like that anymore unfortunately. Great characters who were genuinely funny, and a fantastic script with biting acerbic humour and commentary on wars in general.
Bernie
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 06 Jan 2016, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Something better change!
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Re: M*A*S*H

Post by dan-electro »

Burn e 77 wrote:M*A*S*H - What a good TV series that was back in the day, don't make them like that anymore unfortunately. Great characters who were genuinely funny, and a fantastic script with biting acerbic humour and commentary on wars in general.
Bernie
Classic series. Always remember watching an episode on BBC2 in the early 1980's and it had 'canned laughter', unknown to me when broadcast in the USA they included 'canned laughter' in every episode!! However, when BBC2 broadcast the show they decided (in a moment of genius) to remove the canned laughter (which made it into a totally different show). The BBC actually apologised for making the mistake of broadcasting one episode with 'canned laughter', it just seemed surreal to have canned laughter on a show full of black humour about the Korean war, bizarre that the USA TV companies added this. Classic theme tune as well. 8)
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

One of the classics - especially without 'canned laughter x5'
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Loved it. And 'Trapper John, M.D.' (1979–86).

I also watched 'AfterMASH' (1983–85) where Colonel Potter, Klinger and Father Mulcahy were reunited. It wasn't very popular but I enjoyed it.

There's also the pilot for 'W*A*L*T*E*R' (1984) about Radar becoming a Policeman. Only one episode was made and it didn't get a series.
If you're interested you can watch it on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS8Vd1vVqXc
ManInBrown
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

... it up? :smt033
Thank you very much
EiTC
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Rockula wrote:Loved it. And 'Trapper John, M.D.' (1979–86).

I also watched 'AfterMASH' (1983–85) where Colonel Potter, Klinger and Father Mulcahy were reunited. It wasn't very popular but I enjoyed it.

There's also the pilot for 'W*A*L*T*E*R' (1984) about Radar becoming a Policeman. Only one episode was made and it didn't get a series.
If you're interested you can watch it on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS8Vd1vVqXc
Thank you Rockula for all the information and the W*A*L*T*E*R link!
B*E*R*N*I*E
Something better change!
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I think very few series ( comedy) these days live up or can compete with many of the old one's . Most today with a few exceptions are just ( bad) gag driven rather than character driven . They don't bother with character these days and manythings said could be said by any member of the cast - My Family ( a complete waste of Robert Lindsay ) , Friends to name a few .I find many older series much better written and acted .
All quiet ..........
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

dan-electro wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:M*A*S*H - What a good TV series that was back in the day, don't make them like that anymore unfortunately. Great characters who were genuinely funny, and a fantastic script with biting acerbic humour and commentary on wars in general.
Bernie
Classic series. Always remember watching an episode on BBC2 in the early 1980's and it had 'canned laughter', unknown to me when broadcast in the USA they included 'canned laughter' in every episode!! However, when BBC2 broadcast the show they decided (in a moment of genius) to remove the canned laughter (which made it into a totally different show). The BBC actually apologised for making the mistake of broadcasting one episode with 'canned laughter', it just seemed surreal to have canned laughter on a show full of black humour about the Korean war, bizarre that the USA TV companies added this. Classic theme tune as well. 8)
Remember reading that Alan alda liked that the BBC took the laughter track off and wanted that to happen in America as well but the tv network wouldn't allow it.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Jon the Impaler wrote:I think very few series ( comedy) these days live up or can compete with many of the old one's . Most today with a few exceptions are just ( bad) gag driven rather than character driven . They don't bother with character these days and manythings said could be said by any member of the cast - My Family ( a complete waste of Robert Lindsay ) , Friends to name a few .I find many older series much better written and acted .
I'm not convinced that things were so much better then. This was the era (more or less) that gave us On the Buses, Love thy Neighbour and the bloody awful Good Life. Give me Toast, the IT Crowd and Mighty Boosh any day.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Jon the Impaler wrote:I think very few series ( comedy) these days live up or can compete with many of the old one's . Most today with a few exceptions are just ( bad) gag driven rather than character driven . They don't bother with character these days and manythings said could be said by any member of the cast - My Family ( a complete waste of Robert Lindsay ) , Friends to name a few .I find many older series much better written and acted .
In a nutshell fella, totally agree with you. But, could this be down to the viewer's age?
  • Bernie
Something better change!