"Keith Moon" the greatest rock drummer end of?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

"Keith Moon" the greatest rock drummer end of?

Post by Greatkudu »

Ok where do i start with this.Jet black is my favourite drummer (always will be).But for sheer excitement and energy combined with an amazing talent.It has to be Keith Moon.

He had a style of playing which we will never see again,played all the song instead of just the usual syncopation with the bass.Of course his insane antics seem to be spoken about

more than his amazing talent.But if you study what he did in the Who and how he played,it was truely mind blowing.He seemed to break all the rules where rolls and fills usually go.

I think his greatest moment must be "Won't get fooled Again",If you hear other drummers play it Moon has already done about 20 fills and Rolls before the others have done 5.

He had a totally unique way of playing that reflected his hyperactive character, I just wish I had seen him play with The Who,but his fantastic playing lives on in the recorded music.

Keith Moon a drum fu master.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Re: "Keith Moon" the greatest rock drummer end of?

Post by marky »

no he didnt use a high hat no subtlety either better drummers i reckon
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

marky wrote:no he didnt use a high hat no subtlety either better drummers i reckon
For sheer energy and excitement,he had no equal.Watch some live footage of "Won't get fooled again".He used a Hi - Hat later in his career.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

yes great footage and a great song
db63
Rats Rally

Post by db63 »

Rat scabies,got to be up there great drummer and showman .,miss him in the damned big time .
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Moon was apparently not a great number technically... But he had a certain something. Check out Bell boy, or Young Man Blues.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I had a certain fondness for Ian Paice's drumming, and Ginger Baker on his day. I think Animal from the Muppets was styled on one of those two.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

db63 wrote:Rat scabies,got to be up there great drummer and showman .,miss him in the damned big time .
Yes I think Rat was inspired my Keith Moon? His style is similar in sorts.Pinch the current damned drummer is better in a technical sense

but Rat was more exciting IMHO.It's getting off the thread a bit,but that's what I am getting at about Keith Moon,not a great technical

player,but he had a style which is virtually impossible to replicate,I say this through personal experience in trying to play "Won't get fooled again"

I had to play it my own way as it's off the scale in strange rolls and fills where you don't expect them.It's similar to Jet in some ways as when you

start trying to play some of his patterns and timings you realize how good Jet is,and I would say Jet is a great technical player.

One last thing,i found out recently that If Keith hadn't played for quite a long time he had to try and remember how to play.

So the band at rehearsals after a period away would have to play a song and help Keith remember how to play it,Amazing.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Boody wrote:I had a certain fondness for Ian Paice's drumming, and Ginger Baker on his day. I think Animal from the Muppets was styled on one of those two.
Animal from the Muppets was styled on Steve Mitchell a grammy award winning drummer who was a friend of Jim Henson.I always thought It was based on Mr Moon.
jaydee1964
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jaydee1964 »

I always thought animal was based on Keith too cos of the sparkly top he and Keith used to wear ....always loved keiths drumming pure genius . He had an inner metronome . He could seamlessly blend rolls and fills during verses then just throw a basic beat on the breaks . Going mobile is a classic on that theme . After jet ( of course) he is my favorite drummer .. his playing on the isle of white gig is a wonder to behold ... haha first song in and he's broken a kick drum skin . Plus he started that "Huge kit trend " too

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Scabies and Baker for me. Two incredible drummers. Jet's great but not like these two!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

A lot of Moon's studio work was poorly produced, unfortunately - Townshend's quip about him playing a kit made of biscuit tins on Tommy springs to mind. Bonham seems to have been better recorded. Honourable mention to Pete de Freitas.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .