Gigs 2014

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Gigs 2014

Post by Alexinblack »

Hope you enjoy the Beat, I'm seeing Neville Staples tomorrow night.
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

Alexinblack wrote:Hope you enjoy the Beat, I'm seeing Neville Staples tomorrow night.
Was a great night as always. Hadn't seen the drummer before, but it was the guy from Ocean Colour Scene, who was very very good. Don't know if he's playing regularly now ?
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

The Strangler wrote:
Alexinblack wrote:Hope you enjoy the Beat, I'm seeing Neville Staples tomorrow night.
Was a great night as always. Hadn't seen the drummer before, but it was the guy from Ocean Colour Scene, who was very very good. Don't know if he's playing regularly now ?

All three Beat gigs I've been too have been great hoping to see them again next year.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

This will probably be my last gig of 2014

Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Just came back from probably my last gig ever.

I just find it such a struggle to cope when I'm being pushed around in queues and trying to get a drink is impossible, let alone going to the toilets. So today I made a decision that I won't go to anymore, as it will take me 3 or 4 days to recover and however much I love live music, I cannot spend days suffering for it.

So, the very first gig I went to was a Matinee gig, yes it was a Saturday afternoon (?) pretty sure, but it could have been holiday time, but I went to see Madness and I loved them, and tonight I've just got back from Madness and I still love them, after 37 times. :grin: :grin: :grin:

They were totally epic and a great joy to see again after 6 years. I haven't seen The Stranglers since 2006, but to be honest, the drive to Southampton or Portsmouth, finding babysitters, getting pushed around and everything else makes it very unpleasant, and then painful.

But I've thoroughly enjoyed myself and I think there has only been one duff gig, Hawkwind at Hammersmith Odeon in 1983 (?) Fuck a duck they were dull as shite, oh and Rush at Wembley Arena, we missed the first 2 songs, which were classics and then they played the whole of their new album, which no one had bought!!!

But out of the 2,000 bands I've seen (Lots at festivals, and not all the way through a set either) The Stranglers in the early 1980's were probably the best for me, Hammersmith Odeon in 1982 or was it 1983 (La Folie tour) Superb 8) 8) 8)
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

The final gig of 2014

Madness @ the MEN 19th December.

This would be the first time that I was going to see Madness and I was very much looking forward to it. Scouting for girls were the support band, I wasn't really impressed with them apart from one song which they did at the end which is a big hit anyway. Then at five to nine on came Madness with Night boat to Cairo, we got treated to all the hits, The Prince sounded great and was a real highlight of the show. Its a shame they never played Driving in my car or Swan Lake.

I thought the sound inside the venue was pretty good too. Lots of people going out to buy beer etc, I would have thought spending £35 to see Madness then queuing for five minutes to buy a drink is a bit of a waste really. I think Madness must have seen some Stranglers footage from the Ruby Tour has they had four big screens very similar to what was used on the March tour.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

I didn't make it to cologne on Saturday night. I believe hugh played a song or two with new model army as well as supporting slot.
I did see the show in Amsterdam last night though. Three and a half hours of sheer brilliance. Best gig I've seen in my life. With such a back catalogue, NMA certainly keep their shows fresh.

http://youtu.be/58Mi8W2TG-I
Hugh with NMA
rotten thoughts
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bis in a couple of weeks

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

I went to see one of my favourite bands, The Cure, at Hammersmith Apollo last night (none of this 'Eventim' Apollo bollocks) and it was great, a 3hr gig with a mix of hits and obscure stuff never played before but I must admit did find myself musing over some of the issues you raise.

I've not given up going to live gigs just yet, but in recent years I've limited myself to Fri & Sat gigs only or those when I'm not at work the next day (Stranglers excepted, I'll continue to 'suffer' Oxford gigs on Monday nights for the time being!). Too much hassle getting anywhere & back - it's a good 50 miles to London from where I live & further to anywhere else that 'known' bands are likely to play. I've recently even not bothered going to gigs I've got a ticket for because when it came to it, I just couldn't be arsed! I also look more for seat tickets rather than standing - a bit like you know you're getting old when upon entering a pub the first thing you look for is a place to sit down rather than the bar :grin:

Stadium gigs & arena gigs I don't bother with any more, why go to a gig where you look at a screen because you can't see the artist? Not that I see the attraction of Ed Sheeran anyway but why would anyone at all want to go to Wembley Stadium next sumer to see a bloke struming a guitar half a mile way?!) And don't get me started on festivals! All the above but multiplied by 10.

At gigs I also get fed up with people barging their way through me (I don't mind people squeezing past, but if one more selfish c*** pushes me out the way & spills my drink when I'm nowhere near the front I'm gonna punch the back of his arrogant head!). I want to whack every mobile phone blocking my view out of their hands and stamp on it - just watch the ****ing gig in the here & now ffs! People talking over quiet bits, the list goes on...

Fed up of rip-off ticket admin fees, processing fees (sometimes both ffs), postal fees costing more than actual postage, and even worse a fee for printing my own f****ing ticket at home on my printer with my ink.

I admit openly to Victor Meldrew tendencies here, but it'll not be long before I hang up my gig-going shoes (a pair of battered old docs!) and listen to/watch recordings from the comfort of my armchair, no doubt with slippers on & a cup of cocoa in my hand :grin:

So I know exactly where you're coming from!

Hammersmith1982 wrote:Just came back from probably my last gig ever.

I just find it such a struggle to cope when I'm being pushed around in queues and trying to get a drink is impossible, let alone going to the toilets. So today I made a decision that I won't go to anymore, as it will take me 3 or 4 days to recover and however much I love live music, I cannot spend days suffering for it.

So, the very first gig I went to was a Matinee gig, yes it was a Saturday afternoon (?) pretty sure, but it could have been holiday time, but I went to see Madness and I loved them, and tonight I've just got back from Madness and I still love them, after 37 times. :grin: :grin: :grin:

They were totally epic and a great joy to see again after 6 years. I haven't seen The Stranglers since 2006, but to be honest, the drive to Southampton or Portsmouth, finding babysitters, getting pushed around and everything else makes it very unpleasant, and then painful.

But I've thoroughly enjoyed myself and I think there has only been one duff gig, Hawkwind at Hammersmith Odeon in 1983 (?) Fuck a duck they were dull as shite, oh and Rush at Wembley Arena, we missed the first 2 songs, which were classics and then they played the whole of their new album, which no one had bought!!!

But out of the 2,000 bands I've seen (Lots at festivals, and not all the way through a set either) The Stranglers in the early 1980's were probably the best for me, Hammersmith Odeon in 1982 or was it 1983 (La Folie tour) Superb 8) 8) 8)