Daves Keyboard Rig: A History - D'ya wanna blow ya hymen?

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
Keninblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by Keninblack » 16 Dec 2004, 01:05

It could have been a Yamaha KX5 ( http://www.indecision.co.uk/yahama_kx5.htm ) Was it not used in the Always the Sun vid as well?

Edited By Keninblack on 1103155585

gazincumbria
Rats Rally

Post by gazincumbria » 16 Dec 2004, 04:03

theraven1979 wrote:I was inspired to get a really crap small Casio from the 80`s. Wanted to go for that Julian Cope cheap casio backing track with accoustic guitar feel. Shame I ain`t got a) An accoustic b) any form of talent

Jim
Ah! The 'Rainbow' Casio MT-31 :D I discovered one in a local charity shop a few years ago,boxed, with it's manual for a fiver(happy days);they're great little keyboards,Jim

"In this elegant chaos,I stand to one side"
:D

Cheers

Gaz
"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 16 Dec 2004, 09:53

Hehe - yeah love that stripped down Radio sesh Cope and his casio vibe

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

jimbo
Rats Rally

Post by jimbo » 16 Dec 2004, 19:28

I noticed since late last year that Dave has not got the MINI MOOG beside him anymore but something else which I do not know what it is as it is very small but does the same job check out the latest photoson the Electriscope site and there is a picture of the set up, as Baz said to myself in an E- mail last year you don,t miss A TRICK DO YOU and I have to say no as I like to see if the band have got anything new and always have done I suppose it is progression and probably what dave is using is a new form of Moog let me know.

raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by raveninblack » 16 Dec 2004, 19:31

Organ Grinder wrote:NickB,

The instrument used on Toiler, Tank, Heroes et al was the Hohner Cembelet. Dunno if it was touch sensitive, doubtful, perhaps Ken can clear that up?
Hadn't he got rid of the Cembelette before Black and white and what about the CP30?
just hanging around

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder » 16 Dec 2004, 20:56

Ah the CP30! That's another one I couldn't remember and which he uses for the arpeggio's on the Japanese footage of 'Battersea Plus' on Hanging Around. Big mother. Not sure if he got that before B&W or not - I always thought it was the cembalet because (and it's not a good reason) he mimes with a cembalet on the Sweden video, which is of course from B&W.

It can be a real game piecing the jigsaw together with some of the Dave stuff, including what he actually plays! For example:

Took me hours and hours when I was 14 to learn the arpeggios to Hanging Around. Suppose it may have helped had I known what a chord was at that time (self taught) because he's skipping up and down the octaves using the notes of the chord changes Dm, F, C - not rocket science, but fucking crazy! I was sat in front of my VCR and TV, pause/AV'ing the 'Rock Goes To College' footage over and over (hence my copy has worn thin) to see which notes his pinkys were plonking on in the brief nanosecond that the camera rested on his hand during the first chorus!

My brother used to say even back then that I was obsessed. I was a quiet young chappie who used to do his homework - I heard Hanging Around - and now look at me! :laugh:
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! » 17 Dec 2004, 00:58

Organ Grinder wrote:Korg Vocoder which was later used on the vocal parts for North Winds and Always the Sun.
I found this sitting in a studio in London and plugged it in. Found it very weird at first to master the voice and the keys palaver. Difficult, huh? Or is it me?

This can be found being played on JJ's Freddie Laker video. I saw that bird (forgot her name - Penny Toblerone??) onstage playing with Paul Roberts - SORRY... Annie Lennox, possibly Eurhythmics.

crass :cool:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder » 17 Dec 2004, 17:48

(forgot her name - Penny Toblerone??

Looks a tidy bit in that vid. :)

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! » 17 Dec 2004, 22:37

Those PPG W2.2s were quite a handful according to my mate who had one and was always swearing at it for losing the settings he'd just done. Did they lose their information? I dunno, but I stood watching a bloke called Michael from that band King play one ("GET YOUR BOOTS ON!!") and he seemed pretty delft at it. King... now there's a thought? Yeuch!

crass :D
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

jonimac
Rats Rally

Post by jonimac » 18 Dec 2004, 23:39

Organ Grinder wrote:NickB,

The instrument used on Toiler, Tank, Heroes et al was the Hohner Cembelet. Dunno if it was touch sensitive, doubtful, perhaps Ken can clear that up?
From an interview in Strangled, I remember Dave remarking that the original keyboard used on the studio version of Toiler wasn't touch sensitive. He was cursing the fact that (at that time!) they played it faster live, and he now had a touch sensitive keyboard, which made it more difficult to match the original.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder » 18 Dec 2004, 23:51

The Yamaha CP30 was touch sensitive - listening to the Battersea Plus Jap footage of Hairging Aroo you can hear the inconsistancies in the dynamics. I fuckin hate touch sensitive keyboards for anything other than piano.

gazincumbria
Rats Rally

Post by gazincumbria » 19 Dec 2004, 05:24

theraven1979 wrote:Hehe - yeah love that stripped down Radio sesh Cope and his casio vibe

Jim
Too right,fella :D

Cheers

Gaz
"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"