Gig Review - The Buzzcocks – Brixton Electric 21st June 2013

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Gig Review - The Buzzcocks – Brixton Electric 21st June 2013

Post by elvisintheclouds »

The Buzzcocks – Brixton Electric 21st June 2013.

Forgive the delay in transmission…
This broadcast relayed from Summer solstice 2013…

The seas of time were choppy, so we sought safe harbour from this temporal tempest in the fair haven known as Brixton.
After some time sampling the local hostelries we ventured to the theatre known locally as ‘The Fridge’ now widely known as ‘The Electric’. As luck would have it we were not alone in seeking comfort here, a multitude was in attendance, all eager to sample the sonic delights of the troupe of wandering minstrels who go by the name of ‘The Buzzcocks’!

And none were disappointed…

A brief warm up from the capable support act ‘Apple Shift 7’ set the right mood. Then a brief pause…

And Boom… the main event… Kicking off with ‘Boredom’, ‘Fast Cars’ and ‘Autonomy’ the pace was relentless with a youthful energy that belied the years accumulated by these seasoned professionals.
Barely stopping for breath, or pausing for applause, the hits kept on coming (in no particular order); ‘I don’t Mind’, ‘Ever Fallen in Love’, ‘Love Battery’, ‘Breakdown’, ‘Girl from the Chain Store’….

Front man Pete Shelley entertained all with his unique command of poppy angst-y punk. Female and male alike were under his spell (with a healthy portion of the audience representing the fairer sex).

Steve Diggle gave a performance of great magic and majesty, a sight to behold. He’s a true rock star, delivering all of the requisite gestures and posturing with perfect execution while never missing a beat.

Not forgetting the new guys; Chris Remmington providing all the necessary nuances for the bass and Danny Farrant doing a bang up job on drums (Beating the kit to within an inch of existence during ‘Pulse beat’!).

The only minor hiccup occurred during ‘Fiction Romance’, something went awry, the band simply stopped and restarted treating us to another superb rendition.
This particular time traveller was anticipating that perfection would have been acheived upon hearing ‘Everybody’s Happy Nowadays’… Alas it was not to be… But no matter… the performance, delivery and set list more than made up for this one omission.
In fact, truth be told, the mighty rendition of ‘Harmony in My Head’ was worth the entry fee alone! Steve played out of his skin on this. He took us on an extended psychedelic meander mid-song before kicking back in to the main structure with real gusto.

In a flash it was over, with Encores including ‘Orgasm Addict’ and ‘Oh Shit’, none were disappointed! Fellow space/time traveller Spizz was also witnessed enjoying the hospitality of this temporal Oasis.
After the storm had died down, it was safe once more to file out into the remains of this longest day. We spied locals rejoicing the pagan festivities of the Summer Solstice, including a tree hugging Pigeon and a time travelling Flower present in different continents and time zones on the same day!

Super-duper!
Thank you very much
EiTC
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Gig Review - The Buzzcocks – Brixton Electric 21st June

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Cheers for the review. Sounds similar to the Buzzcocks gig I saw last November. The set was mainly 'Another Music In A Different Kitchen' material plus early singles and b sides. Hardly anything from 'Love Bites' and virtually nothing post '79 apart from ' Girl From The Chain store' and possibly 'Sick City Sometimes' if I remember correctly.

Any new songs at Brixton? Must be due for a new album soon, it's been 7 years since 'Flat Pack Philosophy'.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Cheers for the review. Sounds similar to the Buzzcocks gig I saw last November. The set was mainly 'Another Music In A Different Kitchen' material plus early singles and b sides. Hardly anything from 'Love Bites' and virtually nothing post '79 apart from ' Girl From The Chain store' and possibly 'Sick City Sometimes' if I remember correctly.

Any new songs at Brixton? Must be due for a new album soon, it's been 7 years since 'Flat Pack Philosophy'.
Cheers TBC, No new ones as far as I could tell! All seemed fairly familiar to me as far as I could tell (although, I'm no authority on this!)...
Thank you very much
EiTC
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Cheers for the review. Sounds similar to the Buzzcocks gig I saw last November. The set was mainly 'Another Music In A Different Kitchen' material plus early singles and b sides. Hardly anything from 'Love Bites' and virtually nothing post '79 apart from ' Girl From The Chain store' and possibly 'Sick City Sometimes' if I remember correctly.

I hear on the grapevine that they are getting songs together for a new album,buts Its down to timing.And Pete Shelley lives in Estonia now.
yesican
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by yesican »

Wish they would play in Scotland again , last time I went to Edinburgh to see them , a Glasgow date would be great. :grin:
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Saw them last year in Blackpool and they were great, need to see them again soon

Great review too mate.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks for the review - there's talk of them seriously going into the studio soon - think they've demo-ed it so far.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by fourth horseman »

They're doing a couple of gigs in August, one of which in Hebden Bridge. Think I'll be heading to that
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Sold out I think. If you can get me 2 tickets gimme a shout!

Jim
fourth horseman wrote:They're doing a couple of gigs in August, one of which in Hebden Bridge. Think I'll be heading to that
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"