theraven1979 wrote:Don't get him started on his Betamax collection :grin:

Jim
:smt005 :smt005

"I must... delay... the inevitable... passing... of time...!!!"
Ribery
Rats Rally

Re: HMV Enters Administration

Post by Ribery »

StanInBlack wrote:Oh Ribery, man! Best of luck with that. Seriously. You might be able to keep yourself contained in a little time capsule-like bubble, but you really are beginning to sound like a guy who the world left behind a long time ago.
Why ? I'm 50 and don't need to start behaving like I'm 30. Yes I'm set in my ways but I love my life and why should I change it just because some 20 year old geek tells me too ?
Fuck that and fuck them. Your last phrase is utter bollocks, the world has room for all of us.

P.S. The world of fat idle arseholes who spend all their lives hunched over a computer/playstation in their bedrooms and will die of a heart attack aged about 40 because of lack of exercise and have no social skills whatsoever is a world that can happily pass me by.
Last edited by Ribery on 15 Jan 2013, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

You hear that, folks? People over the age of 30 who embrace changes in the way the world operates and the way technology evolves aren't acting their age! Priceless, Ribery. Absolutely priceless! :smt005 :smt005 Age has absolutely nothing to do with it, by the way. Still have a black & white telly and use a mangle, then? :lol: Things change, things disappear and get replaced, and despite how much folks protest... will never come back!
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

StanInBlack wrote:You hear that, folks? People over the age of 30 who embrace changes in the way the world operates and the way technology evolves aren't acting their age! Priceless, Ribery. Absolutely priceless! :smt005 :smt005 Age has absolutely nothing to do with it, by the way. Still have a black & white telly and use a mangle, then? :lol: Things change, things disappear and get replaced, and despite how much folks protest... will never come back!
No I have a flatscreen tv, home cinema, hd, a laptop, a netbook and am happy with my life. You enjoy playing with your smileys eh, nice to see technology isn't being wasted.
Unlike you I don't feel a desperate need not to get old and to be 20 for ever. I accept your view now do me the kindness of accepting mine or fuck off.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Ribery wrote:
StanInBlack wrote:You hear that, folks? People over the age of 30 who embrace changes in the way the world operates and the way technology evolves aren't acting their age! Priceless, Ribery. Absolutely priceless! :smt005 :smt005 Age has absolutely nothing to do with it, by the way. Still have a black & white telly and use a mangle, then? :lol: Things change, things disappear and get replaced, and despite how much folks protest... will never come back!
No I have a flatscreen tv, home cinema, hd, a laptop, a netbook and am happy with my life. You enjoy playing with your smileys eh, nice to see technology isn't being wasted.
Unlike you I don't feel a desperate need not to get old and to be 20 for ever. I accept your view now do me the kindness of accepting mine or fuck off.

But age has nothing to do with it, Ribery! :lol:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

As for this, which you deftly edited in afterwards....
Ribery wrote: P.S. The world of fat idle arseholes who spend all their lives hunched over a computer/playstation in their bedrooms and will die of a heart attack aged about 40 because of lack of exercise and have no social skills whatsoever is a world that can happily pass me by.
This is such an incredible sweeping generalisation it actually blows my mind. Not everyone accesses the internet through a computer at home. Mobile devices are getting gradually more powerful, after all. You're also implying that everyone who uses a computer or a video games console is on it all the time, which is far from the case. You're also implying that everyone who uses a computer or a video games console has no social skills - but there such things as multiplayer video games. You're also implying that everyone who uses a computer or a video games console doesn't leave the house and don't get any exercise, which is nonsense. Some folks actually have to go to work.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

StanInBlack wrote:As for this, which you deftly edited in afterwards....
Ribery wrote: P.S. The world of fat idle arseholes who spend all their lives hunched over a computer/playstation in their bedrooms and will die of a heart attack aged about 40 because of lack of exercise and have no social skills whatsoever is a world that can happily pass me by.
This is such an incredible sweeping generalisation it actually blows my mind. Not everyone accesses the internet through a computer at home. Mobile devices are getting gradually more powerful, after all. You're also implying that everyone who uses a computer or a video games console is on it all the time, which is far from the case. You're also implying that everyone who uses a computer or a video games console has no social skills - but there such things as multiplayer video games. You're also implying that everyone who uses a computer or a video games console doesn't leave the house and don't get any exercise, which is nonsense. Some folks actually have to go to work.
A generalisation is the best way of statistically describing the mass.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

And for the third time, age has absolutely nothing to do with it. And I'll explain why: I have relatives that are much older than yourself who have naturally embraced recent technology over the years rather than making a conscious attempt to kick against it. Why is that? Maybe because inherently they know that things are going a certain way and there's nothing that they can do about it.

But if you're sure that making your home and life a time-warp is going to magically make it so it would seem like things like HMV had never disappeared due to the world moving on, then... y'know, best of luck.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Ribery wrote: A generalisation is the best way of statistically describing the mass.
Well, if that was your intention then you failed miserably, I'm afraid. When making a generalisation, it usually helps to look at things from all possible angles and make a summary based on that. You didn't, you made a generalisation based on your own attitude. :smile: Which is essentially what it boils down to, rather than age.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

StanInBlack wrote:And for the third time, age has absolutely nothing to do with it. And I'll explain why: I have relatives that are much older than yourself who have naturally embraced recent technology over the years rather than making a conscious attempt to kick against it. Why is that? Maybe because inherently they know that things are going a certain way and there's nothing that they can do about it.

But if you're sure that making your home and life a time-warp is going to magically make it so it would seem like things like HMV had never disappeared due to the world moving on, then... y'know, best of luck.
My home isn't a time warp, you should read the posts properly, you seem obsessed that we should all live as you do. We have two large electronic/computer/cd/tv etc shops near me (Media Markt and Saturn) and we all live happily.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Ribery wrote:you seem obsessed that we should all live as you do.
:smt005 :smt005

This is coming from a guy that comes into every thread on this forum effectively telling people how wrong they are? If you weren't colossally far off the target by implying that I'm obsessed that "everyone should live as I do" (since I'm not, because that would imply that I spend my every waking moment thinking about this subject, and I don't - because usually I don't HAVE to), I'd dub thee Mr. Pot and ask you if you've ever met Mr. Kettle.