Moderator: StanInBlack

Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: HMV Enters Administration

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

theraven1979 wrote:https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 1,9.876709
Toiler On The Sea wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:There is, and always has been better smaller, independent record shops. Go out and support them. Most of them will sell gig tickets, T-Shirts, posters etc not just CDs.

Jim
Not round these parts there isn't :smt010 . HMV, Our Price and Virgin saw them off years ago :smt013 .
I'd hazard a guess the nearest to me would be in Edinburgh or Glasgow.
1 in Stirling then, still miles away for just wandering into for a shufty at what they've got.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Q.) How does ANY record store that pays it's taxes survive against online stores that pay none?
A.) They don't.
ManInBrown
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

First of all the greedy fuckers charged a fortune for CD's, secondly they said that the internet was killing their High St sales, but their online shop was responsible as well for their down turn, so it's partly their fault as they got greedy like everyone else on the High St.

Personally I haven't used them for ages and fuck 'em the days of buying at shops has killed their trade, so ha you greedy feckers. But I feel sorry for the staff.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

It is very sad,but as has been said.Cheaper on line.I feel like a "Loser in a lost Land",i dont download i like the hard copy of Cd's,love to read the sleevenotes etc.Young people just seem to download and listen to a bit of a song etc.There will be more victims coming up of on line sales.It is very sad,i don't think its progress,but you can't turn back the clock.Soon the High street will only have Starbucks and Cafe Nero inhabiting it.Where doomed,doomed.
Ian9331
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ian9331 »

elvisintheclouds wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:(I prefer REAL books to e.books) I have the ability and knowledge to download, but prefer real product with real artwork and packaging (as a physical reality).
Burn e 77
Absolutely, something tangible :!:
I have a Kindle & use it. I get books for free that I would find diffucult to buy.

I get my music in MP3 format, each week. New releases with covers, cd labels etc. on one disk for 2 quid from the man in the pub!

I have fond memories of HMV - they did me a few favours prior to the internet, like getting hold of No Mercy Boxed Set etc. even one guy who worked at Head Office forwarded me demo cd's of early MK2 stuff.

I will still buy genuine goods but obviously now online. Are HMV still trading online ?

All My my stranglers stuff is in vinyl format, cassette format, cd format, mp3 format, vhs format, dvd format.

Times move on! :smt023
Maybe I'll find love when there's nothing to do........
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

They would not accept a gift voucher today. They said they may accept it in a few days time though!
Ian9331
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ian9331 »

Will HMV still be trading online ??
Maybe I'll find love when there's nothing to do........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'd posted this before but can't find it. Anyway, some 80s HMV photos http://fatherandy2.proboards.com/index. ... read=73137

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I have mixed feelings over the whole thing, to be honest. On one hand, I'm kinda saying goodbye to one of the last rituals of my youth: getting excited about an upcoming release, going down to the shop to buy it, studying the artwork on the way home and getting excited about that first play. On the other, I can't help but feel that this has been a long time coming and when I seriously think about it, over the last 10 years or so I've been going increasingly digital really without realising it... it's just the way that the world is going, and a place like HMV just doesn't fit into the way that things are going anymore. If they'd went digital earlier, they might have survived. Apple managed to to do what the high street retailers should have thought of first.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Ian9331 wrote:
elvisintheclouds wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:(I prefer REAL books to e.books) I have the ability and knowledge to download, but prefer real product with real artwork and packaging (as a physical reality).
Burn e 77
Absolutely, something tangible :!:
I have a Kindle & use it. I get books for free that I would find diffucult to buy.

I get my music in MP3 format, each week. New releases with covers, cd labels etc. on one disk for 2 quid from the man in the pub!

I have fond memories of HMV - they did me a few favours prior to the internet, like getting hold of No Mercy Boxed Set etc. even one guy who worked at Head Office forwarded me demo cd's of early MK2 stuff.

I will still buy genuine goods but obviously now online. Are HMV still trading online ?

All My my stranglers stuff is in vinyl format, cassette format, cd format, mp3 format, vhs format, dvd format.

Times move on! :smt023
Not if you don't want them to. I'm still happy with my huge library of expensive books, my cd, dvd and video collections. If the techno obsessed generation wish to download, upload, sideload, shedload everything then good luck to them but I have niether the urge nor the need to do so.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Oh Ribery, man! :smt005 :smt005 Best of luck with that. Seriously. You might be able to keep yourself contained in a little time capsule-like bubble, but you really are beginning to sound like a guy who the world left behind a long time ago.