HMV Enters Administration

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

HMV Enters Administration

Post by mickinblack »

Thats it folks end of the record shop...
Hard to believe but thats it HMV was the last of the record shops chains.
I grew up in all sorts of record shops and now no more heading to the stranglers section.
They did well to keep going so long.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: HMV Enters Administration

Post by jason »

Sad news indeed and i've got a ten quid voucher so I better get down there quick!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: RE: HMV Enters Administration

Post by theraven1979 »

Whatever happened to Andys Records ?!
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Terrible news. Tbh it's been heading this way for a long time, most HMV stores i have visited have ltd selections of CDs apart from HMV in oxford street which is brilliant. But they don't make you want to buy anything because youve already got most of it and the decent re issued packaged CDs are good but way too expensive. It was always bound to happen thats another 4 thousand odd people out of work this year.
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

jason wrote:Sad news indeed and i've got a ten quid voucher so I better get down there quick!
It might be too late - Chances are they won't honour it, but it's worth a try
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

From my point of view, as someone who still buys CD's, I'm not surprised tbh. They've become the most expensive place to buy CD's over the last couple of years. Recently I mislaid my copy of La Folie, so the HMV in Glasgow was my first port of call to replace it, they were charging £11 for it new. I'm not saying 11 quid is a lot of money, but after visiting a couple of the independent record shops, both had it for under £6 new. Add online retailers, and downloading (illegal and legal) into the equation, and I can see why they've struggled. To be fair to them though, I've always felt they priced DVD's (as long as they weren't new releases) fairly reasonably.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zontar »

The same blight will strike US bigbox chain BEST BUY which opened less than 2 decades ago in my US town, stocking everything, I mean EVERY CD from semi-obsccure acts like Kevin Ayers and solo Cap'n Sensible - DAMN(ED), I should have snapped up that live one. Now offers token pushes for major releases. Those plastic artist-separating cards are mostly stacked together.

DVDs will next perish. It's all going away, all of it.

All praise tecnology!
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Whilst their online vinyl is usually pretty cheap, comparing well with Amazon, the rest is expensive. Particularly in their shops. I often used shops to browse in & then get the stuff I wanted cheaper elsewhere.

Feel sad for the staff, but most shops sold mostly a limited stock. They're caught between the extremes of online & supermarkets.

Our Price, Virgin (& WHSmiths & Boots music sections even - I got my 3D Raven from Boots!) & now HMV disappearing from the High St. A rummage around the music shops was welcome respite from the evils of visiting shopping centres! I only hope that independent retailers don't all suffer the same fate.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Sahme to see it going.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

For some reason it was always reassuring that you could walk into a high street and buy (at the very least) The Stranglers Greatest Hits or something. Always felt the urge to browse the Stranglers section in HMV if I was passing by. More recently they had good deals on books as well. Ah well another part of my youth gone.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Inevitable really I s'pose... Shame though! Nothing quite like having something tangible when it comes to music!
Thank you very much
EiTC
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Remember when the publishers of sheet music went out of business when the Gramophone came along?
Then it was the cassette tape that did for vinyl,
Then Cd's took over and still music lived on, even giving the likes of Robbie 'bloody' Williams £80Million.
The iPod did it for the CD, but alas not Robbie :smt013 .

Adapt and survive.

Goodbye HMV.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.