John Peel RIP

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

In 1977 I discovered the John Peel Show on Radio One.
John introduced me to all the bands and songs that shaped my musical tastes forever: The Cure, The Skids, The Undertones, Public Image, Nigger Kojak, Clint Eastwood, Yellowman, The Ramones - I heard them all first on John's Show.

And of course, The Stranglers.

The Peel Sessions... Excerpts from the yet to be released Black + White album... Walk On By... I was in heaven. The feeling of hearing all this beautiful music will stay with me forever.

Who can imagine anyone championing any new and different music on the radio these days? Who's going to do that now? Moyles? Cox? I find these fools insulting.

As the Ramones one sang: They don't come close.

See you John.
crass :D
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

mccardigan
Ugly
Ugly

Post by mccardigan »

Met him once in Leeds at a Wedding Present gig. I shook his hand and thanked him for introducing me to the Field Mice (of all the bands...) He mentioned this on his show the next night.

If there's a God I hope he'll have Peelie as his club DJ, might make Him a calmer man.

RIP
if your breasts are too big you'll fall over. Unless, of course, you wear a rucksack.
graingerman2
Rats Rally

Post by graingerman2 »

nickinblack wrote:I.If there was a chart that ever mattered,it was John Peel's Xmas Festive 50.Would be fantastic to see a run down of the charts for those years.
http://www.rocklist.net/festive50.htm
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

graingerman2 wrote:
nickinblack wrote:I.If there was a chart that ever mattered,it was John Peel's Xmas Festive 50.Would be fantastic to see a run down of the charts for those years.

http://www.rocklist.net/festive50.htm
Thank you for that graingerman2.
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture
whatonearthamidoing
SHAKESPEARO

Post by whatonearthamidoing »

Shame he's gone and left us... but I bet he packed a hell of a lot into his 65 years, his autobiog will probabley be well worth reading. Whatever he said he always sounded sincere, very listenable voice. He was the only one worth watching on the Glasto thing the BBC passed off as coverage.
All I want for Christmas is world domination, not too much to ask, is it?
Dagenham Dave
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dagenham Dave »

Is is Glastonbury that one of the stages will now be named after him ? Seems a fitting tribute considering the impact he had on up and comung bands .
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

mccardigan wrote:Met him once in Leeds at a Wedding Present gig. I shook his hand and thanked him for introducing me to the Field Mice (of all the bands...) He mentioned this on his show the next night.

If there's a God I hope he'll have Peelie as his club DJ, might make Him a calmer man.

RIP
That the gig on their Punk vid? Think it was the Colleseum?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

John Peel was unfortunately quoted (current finger-on-the-pulse-with-the-news Q Magazine Issue 221) in a round-up of Radio One’s present day line-up of (ahem) DJs, as saying:

“They say I’m a legend or an institution,â€
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.