Julian Cope@ Leeds Brudenell Social Club 21st September 2012

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Julian Cope@ Leeds Brudenell Social Club 21st September 2012

Post by theraven1979 »

I’ve been looking forward to this one for a fair few months now. Love the venue and the Cope. That said the last time I saw Julian Cope a few years ago at Leeds Met he was rocking out and truth be told I prefer just him with an acoustic and a casio. So I was delighted on hearing his new album and hearing him going back to his roots.

We get to the venue at around 9ish. A nice pint of Harvest Pale ordered and we walk down the front. The venue is rammed (in fact it’s sold out) but we manage to find a nice spot near the stage. The stage set up looks fantastic. There’s a nice selection of acoustic guitars (6 string and 12 string), the massive mellotron, bongos right at the front of the stage, a big bass drum at the back. Man, this can’t fail!

Julian apears and immediately we’re thinking where’s his long hair gone? He later mentioned he has a mohican under his hat – The crowd aren’t convinced, he states he will reveal all in the encore – we’ve a long wait until then! There’s some initial confusion as Julian states the onstage lighting is too dark. I suggest he takes his shades off! He then realises that he’s not wearing his prescription shades. A roadie quickly resolves the issue – much laughter from the crowd. Julian is armed with an acoustic and is in fine voice this evening. We’re treated to a large chunk of his classics all performed amazingly on his acoustic and the power of his vocals really shine through. It’s just an onslaught of classic after classic.

Too good, we get a Springsteen-esque over 2 hour set, highlights include “Paranormal in The West Country”, “Robert Mitchem”, “Conspiricist Blues”, “I’m Your Daddy”, “The Greatness And Perfection of Love”, and he moves to the Mellotron and gives us “O King Of Chaos” (he recalls the story behind this one – pretty fucked up), “Psychedelic Revolution” (sounding much better here than on the record), “Head Hung Low” (sounding amazing with just Julian and the mellotron). We wonder how long the Cope can keep on going here as 2 hours has passed, we want more of course but time is ticking away and he has to edit the list (how many songs did he intend to do!?!). We get a chaotic “Out Of My Mind on Dope and Speed” with fellow band members on stage for bongos and bass drum.

We’re treated to a blinding version of “Sunspots” in the encore (and shows us his mohican!) and it’s all over. I initially thought the 20 notes ticket price was a bit steep but the Cope played for over 2 hours and it was an amazing performance. Worth every penny.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Julian Cope@ Leeds Brudenell Social Club 21st September

Post by Jake »

sounds good Jim, never seen Cope, always had a soft spot for him though, hopefully get to see him before one of us is dead!
Debaser
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Debaser »

It was indeed. I've seen him now on more occasions than I can actually remember, let alone count and thought that last night was one of the best (when he's on his own that is) The crowd was rather disparate and it would have been difficult for anyone to guess who folks were going to see. As per usual, he gave us a good mix of song and banter and, thank whoever, the Mellotron.

We had a chuckle early on when he gave the 'chatterboxes' a throwaway 'strategic chatting' comment, as less than 30 mins earlier my pals, who had seen Ian MacCullough the other evening, had mentioned that the noise level from the crowd was so bad that someone had been ejected.

I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing Robert Mitchum again mind you :wink:

I have now realised that I HADN'T ever been to the Brudenell before though. Thought I'd seen The Cardiacs there at a Christmas gig but apparently that was the Woodhouse Liberal Club - silly me. I have been to the pub along the road (am wanting to say The Royal Park??) to see bands before though.
"Five cups of coffee just to be myself, when I'd rather be somebody else"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

You stalking me Debaser? :lol: What's your next gig?!

He was fantastic wasn't he? Really into this rather than the Black Sheep stuff. Can't believe he considered jacking in the Mellotron! :shock: I quite like Robert Mitchum - it's just a simple nonsense little ditty.

Seen many bands in Brudenell - it's possibly my fave venue of all time. Just love it. Full of character

Jim
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Nice one Jimbo, cheers for that (makes a feckin change from all them neo-post-shoe gazer-C90 bands you usually go to see!)
As you know I'm a bit of a Cope fan myself, but have been warned off going to see him the last couple of times he dragged
his arse up these parts- glad to hear he can still pull it out the hat when he needs to. One of the best gigs I saw was his Profiteering one (I think) at the Barrowlands, round about the time of Try Try Try and he must have played about 3 feckin hours
that night too, it was awesome but verging on the "Alright already Copey, let us get home now, please!" by the end :lol:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Right up your street this time Davy boy. This is part of a tour I'm sure - You should defo check him out. Not quite sure what neo-post-shoe gazer-C90 is? Is it like Dubstep?

Jim
Alias wrote:Nice one Jimbo, cheers for that (makes a feckin change from all them neo-post-shoe gazer-C90 bands you usually go to see!)
As you know I'm a bit of a Cope fan myself, but have been warned off going to see him the last couple of times he dragged
his arse up these parts- glad to hear he can still pull it out the hat when he needs to. One of the best gigs I saw was his Profiteering one (I think) at the Barrowlands, round about the time of Try Try Try and he must have played about 3 feckin hours
that night too, it was awesome but verging on the "Alright already Copey, let us get home now, please!" by the end :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Nice to read these reviews. Will get around to Cope one of these days.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

theraven1979 wrote:Jake, Davy

Fill yer boots. http://www.headheritage.co.uk/eight-solo-shows/

Jim

As I said mate, when he bothers to drag his arse up this way :smt012
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Call yourself a fan!

Jim
Alias wrote:

Jim

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

theraven1979 wrote:Call yourself a fan!

Jim
Alias wrote:

Jim

Yup, saw him with the classic mic stand and everything :P