The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Post by Greatkudu »

Exactly as I pointed out In my original post.The Stranglers did reggae or songs inspired by reggae.We all know what they were.The reason I picked on the clash Is they always get cited for their diverse musical styles.And our boys in Black never get the kudos of developing their sound with other styles.I once asked Hugh why he thought the band were never flavour of the month and he replied "maybe It was because we had a keyboard player with a moustache".Tongue In cheek of course.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I think the clash did have a diverse musical style, I see a lot of people don't like Sandinista, I think it's a good album over all and The Clash only made it to hurry a way out of their contract with CBS, I believe it was also sold as a value for money album any way. Some of the best lyrics wise on that album, i.e. 'Charlie don't surf' and 'washington bullets' total classic so what if it wasn't in yer face punk rock at least the clash had the balls to move on and try something different.

I don't think the clash where or are over rated, it seems a lot of people from punk rockers to stranglers fans to whoever doens't really like them any way, but also a hell of a lot of varied people do like them which speaks volumes.

Joe Strummer would have been 60 this week, nice article here by his daughters

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... sfeed=true
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Thanks for the link.

Annoyingly the comments section is closed already, tossers.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sword sparkle »

Sandinista would have been a reasonable double album but is an average triple.
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

You say that Swords Sparkle, but how many triple albums can you really say you like anyway or double come to that matter. I think it's a decent album, it's very experimental in places, which obviously is what some people never liked it about it. I know that it is the only triple album in my colllection, though I only have it on a CD which is a double but anyway...
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Sword sparkle wrote:Sandinista would have been a reasonable double album but is an average triple.
I agree there's some awful filler. But it was sold for the price of a single LP and that was a bargain.

All this thread will do is show who likes them and who doesn't. It's unlikely anybody's view will be changed by a constant stream of 'they're shit' or 'no they're not' posts.

A lot of my punk friends didn't like anything after the first two albums. But they didn't like reggae, soul, rockabilly or jazz anyway so were unlikely to get 'converted'. I've always listened to a wide range of genres so maybe my mind was more open to it.

I hope the surviving members are getting paid for that bloody British Airways advert. :)
ManInBrown
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'm going to give the Singles collection another go and maybe buy one the first albums.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Rockula wrote:
Sword sparkle wrote:Sandinista would have been a reasonable double album but is an average triple.
I agree there's some awful filler. But it was sold for the price of a single LP and that was a bargain.

All this thread will do is show who likes them and who doesn't. It's unlikely anybody's view will be changed by a constant stream of 'they're shit' or 'no they're not' posts.

A lot of my punk friends didn't like anything after the first two albums. But they didn't like reggae, soul, rockabilly or jazz anyway so were unlikely to get 'converted'. I've always listened to a wide range of genres so maybe my mind was more open to it.

I hope the surviving members are getting paid for that bloody British Airways advert. :)
Generally agree with that, the main problems with the album were A - That it was bloated and at least a third two long and B - That it explored far too many directions at once, there is no clear concept to it.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Ahh..it's been a while.Good afternoon all.Hope everyone is well. :smt006

As for the Clash being The most overated band ever? They are certainly up there.

My late brother was a big fan(bit like I am with The Stranglers)and I think I've heard most of their
output..we used to have friendly banter over who was the best.I don't think I'll ever need to verify
who really was the best....did have a soft spot for 'Lost in a Supermarket'...and this,for me,pisses
over anything the Clash have ever done

http://youtu.be/tSwhOKOKaYw 8)
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

You're just biased Jason. :smt006
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

ThruBeingCool wrote:You're just biased Jason. :smt006

That I am Mr.S.,that I am.Dodged too many ashtrays to let this one go :wink:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

My favourite Clash albums are London Calling and Combat Rock. I never really got into Sandinista - I think that's because it was a little too long, but there's still time I guess. I remember when London Calling came out and it cost £3.99, a bargain for a double album and a great album through and through IMO. And later a triple album for the same price, I doubt if any other band selling that many records would have done that. "Sold out", I don't think so !

Give em enough rope I also like, but the first album - no - never did enough for me, musically just too basic.

I guess I was never really a "punk rocker", that's probably why I liked the stranglers so much.

Are the Clash overrated ? I would say yes probably, when you put them into context with the stranglers. One gets all the praise, the other gets fuck all.
I Hate You !