Tulips and Chocolate in two days....

Leave messages for other fans here

Moderator: StanInBlack

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Tulips and Chocolate in two days....

Post by gizzard »

''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Cheers Gizzy

:grin:
Claireinblack
kent
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

A great cross section of photos from TBC and Gizzy.

It just goes to show the growing popularity of the Wonky Bus when even The Grand Archbishop of Flourence signs up (yet again) for another Wonky extravaganza.
ThruBeingCool wrote: Image
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

And on the subject of photos....

I have just discovered a rather alarming picture on my Blackberry of Rodders and Lord London.......with tongues out!

:shock:

:lol:
Claireinblack
kent
Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sword sparkle »

Great pics thanks Barry and Simon. Twas a good trip albeit rather tiring at the end.
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Brilliant pix, comments and wine reviews. Thanks chaps - glad you had a good time. Thre rest of us? We just got very, very wet.

PS Best pic of Piegon ever!
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
noiseannoys
Down In The Sewer

Post by noiseannoys »

Thanks for all the great pics guys..they are filling in some big holes in my memory very nicely :grin:

As a Wonky virgin and going on my own, I was a bit worried I'd missed the boat and would be stuck in the middle of a bit of a cliquey group..
I could not have been more wrong! What a wonderful friendly group of people you all were!

The whole trip was fantastic from start to finish!
Brillaintly organised..from the welcome pack to the drop off! So firstly I must say a massive thank you Owen & Jacqui for all your hard work and making the whole thing possible!

So many of you made me feel very welcome, bought me drinks and helped me to get to know other people..but special thanks to John & Rob 'the Bodyform brothers', the Euro-Jocks who thoroughly entertained me on the coach & in the mosh-pit, and the two Barry's who led me astray right through to stupid o'clock and beyond!

Look forward to catching up with all you guys at wherever the next MiB adventure takes us...

Cheers

Nick
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Wonky Bus 3 Trip... Review and bootleg of Leuven gig... coming your way shortly!
cheers
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Burn e 77 wrote:Wonky Bus 3 Trip... Review and bootleg of Leuven gig... coming your way shortly!
cheers
Burn e 77
PS. Great pictures, anecdotes and wine reviews from;
ThroughBeingCool, Gizzard and PaulinLondon... thanx guys :grin:
And a BIG THANK YOU to... OWEN & JACQUIE... Very well organised & professional 8)
cheers
Burn e 77
Something better change!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

noiseannoys wrote:Thanks for all the great pics guys..they are filling in some big holes in my memory very nicely :grin:

As a Wonky virgin and going on my own, I was a bit worried I'd missed the boat and would be stuck in the middle of a bit of a cliquey group..
I could not have been more wrong! What a wonderful friendly group of people you all were!

The whole trip was fantastic from start to finish!
Brillaintly organised..from the welcome pack to the drop off! So firstly I must say a massive thank you Owen & Jacqui for all your hard work and making the whole thing possible!

So many of you made me feel very welcome, bought me drinks and helped me to get to know other people..but special thanks to John & Rob 'the Bodyform brothers', the Euro-Jocks who thoroughly entertained me on the coach & in the mosh-pit, and the two Barry's who led me astray right through to stupid o'clock and beyond!

Look forward to catching up with all you guys at wherever the next MiB adventure takes us...

Cheers

Nick
Great to meet ya Nick, glad you were there as Stranglers fans can be quite cliquey and licky licky at times. Hopefully see you at Buzzcocks in Manchester you Diggle lookalike you!
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Wonky bus 3 ... A pigeon amoungst the Cats

Well it has been a few days to think about how to write up yet another great trip abroad to see The Stranglers in europe on the infamous Wonky bus,as organised by our great organisers Mr Owen and Jacquie carne. Lots has happend in pigeon world since wonky bus 2,two nights previous came a massive 2 and a half hour row until 3.30am via phone with Ex ms Pigeon on tuesday evening to the extremley angry quarters of the Welsh mountains

"IF YOU HAD PUT THE SAME EFFORT INTO US,THAN YOU DO FOLLLOWING A LOAD OF OLD HAS BEEN PUNKS ROUND THE UK AND EUROPE WITH A LOAD OF OTHER SINGLE SAD DIVORCED MEN IN THEIR 40'S,YOU COULD OF HAD ME EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK, INSTEAD YOU HAVE A FAT OLD FRENCH BASS PLAYER!!! I HATE YOU" etc,etc,etc... god they go on about a load of noncence don't they??

The wednesday night i met my uncle in at Victoria coach station,to go to our Premierr inn hotel in victoria to be woken up a stupid o clock,with 4 hours kip which felt like 12 took me about 10 minutes to come round,everything is neetley placed how i placed it the previous night on what im going to wear etc,so i can get up and go. Mcdonalds refreshments & few familar faces start to turn up,we nearly miss the coach due to one of our crew, taking a rather long shit, but all is succsesfull in the end and we hop aboard.
A seat next to my good mate Adam Cooper and his uncle Colin, & Owen and jacquie & uncle,stranglers related chat starts.

The trip to dover goes without hitch and our local tourguide Mr Paul inlondon takes to the mic,to deliver a fine Alan Partridge style of speech AHA. A court injunction is currently inplace as i have managed to win something yet again, a "time was once on my side" prmo CD fantastic, my uncle wins the merchandise gift voucher what i won in 2009 so we duley swapped and i got the convention DVD signed i may add for 10 euro's. Onto to the ferry and it's suprisingly straight to the bar,Great chats with Gizz about records. Back on the coach and its a trip to Utrecht. Check into our ibis hotel, im so tired so i get half hours sleep. Felt like 4 hours when i woke up,& up to downstairs,to meet uncle and Adam Cooper and off we go to do some sight seeing.

Utrecht is full of Bars,resturants Canals and dutch people on bikes. Highlight was meeting a dutch Charlton Athletic supporter who was at the 1998 play off finals, a disscussion about the said game started with Barry spooner funnily saying "Yes anyway is that the time?". Myself and Adam Cooper go off in search of food,and adam finds a nice little italian resturant,have something to eat and make our way to the venue,the band are already in the middle of "Sometimes", missed "Burning up time" not to worry its rammed down at the front so for a rare change,its time to view a Stranglers gig from the balcony which i never normally do but
manage to get some great photos of which i will try to upload on here "The Raven" is back in the set in replace of "Goodbye toulouse", "Lowlands" is up next, the song specially for the traveling brits with "driving through the lowlands" on the back of our new tshirts,which look awesome.

As we get to the hit parade part of the set, the great passage of "Golden Brown","Always the sun" and "Strange little girl", means you can occasionally miss the segment and release the 3 pints of lager currently in my bladder,toilets always in the same walking distance from venue to stage to bar, where during "strange little girl" i get myself a pint of becks make my way back for "time was once on my side" noticeably "Giants" has been dropped for this gig the usuals are pretty well recived "Walk on by",but my favourite part of the set is "hanging around" & "Unbroken" apart from its not so good chorous,its a great performance, and JJ gives the bass a good pounding,with the effect whammy bars he must have built inside the shuker, i often wonder if the shuker is constantly updated,it's a great custom bass, fittingly to be played by a bass god, i do sometimes miss his precsission days though, it seems Shuker and Ashdown is the setup that he is going to use forever,as Ashdown has been his contstant rig since 2004,but with new updated black cabs instead of gold.

The set continues on and tonight we get "Boom Boom" added in the set instead of "Time to die" admitngly not my favourite song on "Giants',best live song is "Mercury rising", "All day", "Duchess", & blistering version of "Tank".

Walked back to the ibis hotel with Adam,i have had a spend up and got myself the convention DVD, Signed giants vinyl, and a european tour tshirt.Result. Decided to have another couple of pints thats 6 for the day,everyone was in a jolly good mood. This is what its all about the socializing of it all is great fun,the gigs are like added bonuses on these european trips. For the trip to Leuven their is a camerman onboard the coach, making a long overdue documentry about the band, i'll look forward to seeing this when it eventually see's the light of day, however in the world of The Stranglers it will probally "go missing" in the vast and mystrious valuts of the record company,along with the definetive Stranglers DVD live boxed set from 1977 to 1982, that features the full gig from nice in 1980.

But more importantly we have several issues on the coach, no one has brought any DVDs to watch, without even a copy of "Sex lives of the potatto men".

In comparrasion to the two gigs Leuven was once again the best, version of "The Raven" all tour, the sound was blisteringly fast and diddnt make them sound turged or tired and the last date of a 41 european tour,but from the start the day in leuven after a nice 10 and a half hour sleep was great meeting up with Theirry, Dominque,fadding dutch moon, Garry was telling us for the 100th time of how Dave Greenfield had his pet stuff roadent onstage,though i dont think the locals understood.

The Barmen obviosuly a fan of the MIB Put "Peasent in the big shitty"!! on for us live and "No more heroes" to which a huge cheer from uslot outside was met. Shortley time to go into the venue i watch the gig from Baz's side of the stage which is normally unheard of for me, Leuven wins for me hands down again,not quite capturing the heights of 2010,but still fast and energetic. I give Baz an 8 out of 10 effort for his "Golden Brown" solo,there is no stage invasion tonight sadly, because someones decided to put barriers up so we couldnt get onstage like the last two times,of which Baz states "And now for the predicted stage invasion, that will be nice", before we know it its the end,my ears are ringing a very loud gig,but not as loud as florence.

highlight of the gig was that i got to shake JJs hand at the end of the gig along with several other fans. Anti climaxing started to hit as soon as we got on the coach back to england,Wonky bus 3 came and went in an instant, like a difficult 3rd album it gets great reviews & looks like there is going to be a Wonky bus 4 in the making i am already there.