The Forums : 10 Years : How did you find it ? : Why ?

Leave messages for other fans here

Moderator: StanInBlack

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

The Forums : 10 Years : How did you find it ? : Why ?

Post by PaulinLondon »

So, as The Forum has turned a glorious 10 years old and moves into the next era, I got thinking.

How did we each find The Forum ?

Using the Search tool, I first posted on 3 January 2006 at 12.36pm. Apparently , it was a Tuesday and I don’t know if it was a work day or a break off work.

I had heard of The Forum and seen references to it on the internet. I had joined another Stranglers related site through Yahoo but The Forum kept coming back on further internet searches about the band, Hugh and the fans.

I wanted to track down members of a car tour, where I had been one of two drivers around the UK in 1989 to see The Stranglers and the more I thought about it, Jim’s Forum was bound to be the best place to start and regroup with other like minded folk.

So, on 3 January 2006, I posted for the first time.....

“Hi All, Am based up in Finchley, north London (5 mins away from what was The Torrington :cry: ) which has been home for many years. Does anyone recollect meeting with me and Raj in the mid 80s ? We hired a Ford Sierra each and drove about ten of us up to The Strangs gigs in Livingston, then Cardiff ...”

Cardiff should have read Newport but we had three amazing gigs, culminating in Brixton. Since this post, I have made contact with some people who were in our two cars. As important if not more, I have met many fine people through The Forum who follow The Stranglers, Hugh and beyond.

And here I remain now. Wedded !

What about you ?

Confession time :smt028
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: The Forums : 10 Years : How did you find it ? : Why ?

Post by Alias »

Who?
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I first saw it while I was at work but didn't really understand what it was! I'd never used a forum before. After several views I decided to take the plunge and Ive been obsessed with it ever since. 8)
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Wish I could remember what I was doing last week, never mind 10 years ago :roll: :roll: :roll:
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sword sparkle »

Twas Wonky 1 that introduced me to the forum as several people on the coach mentioned it and they mostly seemed fairly normal so had a look.
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Sword sparkle wrote:they mostly seemed fairly normal so had a look.
But you now know differently :wink: :wink: :wink:
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Sword sparkle wrote:Twas Wonky 1 that introduced me to the forum as several people on the coach mentioned it and they mostly seemed fairly normal so had a look.

So you were tricked and lied to, is what you're saying? :lol:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Found Liz's site first, I think around 2002. Then Organ Grinder recommended I joined here as well when it was all black and yellow (i think) in 2003. I remember he said this site was a little more hardcore haha. Flitted between the two for a bit, went a bit mad on here during my college years (those posts are now missing though it seems, probably for the best!), then quietened down a bit when I got a bit more of a life. started posting more here when Liz's site disappeared in 2007 or whenever it was, and made it a daily thing by about 2009 when I was unemployed for a bit. Can't believe I've been on this forum so long, I was only 16 in 2003.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

At least some things never change.

First post 3rd April 2003:

I saw Hugh for the first time solo at the tail end of last year at the Junction, Cambridge. Although I was aware that on the back of the book he was playing more Stranglers stuff I was still a little apprehensive. In no way was I expecting the brilliant gig that followed. I think for Hanging Around I just closed my eyes and filled in the keyboard parts in my head. The next day, I posted a note on Wired responding to a review of the same gig. At the same time I posted something on The Stranglers newsgroup to suggest that for those that were like minded fans of the Mk I incarnation, Hugh with band should be checked out if at all possible. The reaction caused me great amusement! That the Mk I vs MkII arguement still rumbles in 13 years after Hugh's departure amazes me, but what was even more shocking was the anti-Cornwell stance with regard to him playing his own material (at least in terms of lyrical content). I would suggest that everyone posts something 'contraversial' on a newsgroup just for the fun of it.

By the way, does anyone know whether any recordings of Hugh's 2002 tour have seen the light of day? :0
"Like A Force Nine Gale Of Bad Breath" Chas De Whalley Sounds

http://www.auralsculptors.blogspot.co.uk
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Checked out and 'lurked' around the site for a few years but up until about a year ago I hadn't joined ANY Forums. Never thought I'd bother. But I'm glad I did.
ManInBrown
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Had seen the site before but didn't get online 'til somone recommended it at the convention 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Well, it's older than 10 years that's for sure.... not sure how I found it to be true. Maybe it was the official site? Maybe it was AltaVista? I got online at home back in 1996, with a 56kps modem that made those amazing noises when they connected. Found IceCube from the official site and traded some tapes in 97.... the forum was around in early 2001 I think, when it was black and unmoderated and we could see the yellow posts expanding, minute by minute as people added their crazy thoughts....F5 and down they streamed... it was much more of a conversation in those days, before Jim moved it over to these, now standard, formats.

Everything was in one place. And the threads just grew in front of your eyes. I loved that, and miss that.

Those were the days of unadulterated pleasure, abuse, wonderment and just joy at realising that there were pepole sicker than yourself out there. Brilliant. But that freedom was insane....
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five