Post by paul b »

enjoy cunts :grin: :lol: :roll:
"i'd crawl over 50 good pussies just to get to 1 fat boys asshole"
NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Straighten Out - Hope & Anchor 18th June 2011

Post by NMH1965 »

miserablewoman wrote:Hope you all fookin 'ave a good one!! 8) 8)
Her hum.................language young lady :!: :smt009

:?
The day is sticky yellow!!
miserablewoman
Ugly
Ugly

Post by miserablewoman »

NMH1965 wrote:
miserablewoman wrote:Hope you all fookin 'ave a good one!! 8) 8)
Her hum.................language young lady :!: :smt009
Doh! Sorry ... :oops: :oops:

:smt006
YOU WERE FOREVER ... I WAS JUST A PAUSE ...
shazzer
Rats Rally

Straighten Out - Hope & Anchor 18th June 2011

Post by shazzer »

Like the "young" and "lady". :-)
miserablewoman
Ugly
Ugly

Post by miserablewoman »

shazzer wrote:Like the "young" and "lady". :-)
:smt043
YOU WERE FOREVER ... I WAS JUST A PAUSE ...
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

A top, TOP night with Straighten Out and the crew.
A 9pm start ensured everyone (except Pidge) made it home via public transport okay.
A cracking gig in a great venue - the band seem to improve each time I see them. Top toons for me were Shah Shah, Raven and Burning Up Time. All in the company of Ava, PaulinLondon, Big Al Hillier, Pidge, Claireinblack, Kathinboots, Bernie, the Straighten Out crew..... :smt023
One big disappointment was the turn out. All the moaning on here about the band never coming South and when they do they attract 43 paying customers.
I know that as fact, as I was talking to the guy taking the money. Personally it wouldn't surprise me if the band don't bother coming South again and who can blame them?
But that apart, I cant think of a better way to spend a Saturday night.
Many thanks to Claireinblack for the advice ..even if it was not what I wanted to hear! :wink:
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Great to see all the gang, a brilliant, brilliant, evening and I must reiterate your point Sid, it really was a great shame that the turnout was so poor…….and a lot of people missed out on something very special last night……..BUT

If you would have told me 35 years ago that I would have been standing in the basement of the Hope and Anchor on an evening in June 2011 listening to a Strangler’s tribute band I would have thought that impossible beyond anybody’s wildest dreams, but last night I was and I have to say that it was truly amazing. When I initially thought about going I had some reservations, but any doubt about the quality of this band were ‘blown away’ in seconds as they launched into their set. Straighten Out are simply brilliant. They are the first ‘Tribute’ band I have ever seen, ever, and the word ‘Tribute’ suddenly takes on a new resonance with me because that’s exactly what they did, they paid tribute to some of the greatest British songs that, in my opinion, have ever been written and played them with consummate skill, style and passion. The level of their musicianship was astonishing as they brought these incredible songs ‘back to life’ in a venue that holds so many memories for me personally and I want to take this opportunity to thank Shaggy and all the boys for a memorable step back in time, evoking some fantastic recollections.

For any Stranglers fan this band are simply unmissable and I wholeheartedly endorse them without reservation and can’t wait to see them in action again.

I had not been to see a band play at the Hope and Anchor (Although I have been in the bar upstairs a few times) since the Front row festival in 77, and walking down the stair case to enter the gig I must admit to having more than a few ‘flashbacks’. I needed a few minutes to re-orientate myself and quickly realised that the original stage had been moved and would have been on my left as I faced the band. The room seemed smaller than I remembered and as I looked around, images of 1977 flickered into my mind, the smells, the faces, powerful images of the Front Row Festival flooding my mind in black and white and sometimes sepia and of course, visions of The Stranglers. I watched, I listened and occasionally I closed my eyes. Straighten out ‘delivered’ last night and once again all I can add is……………….

Thank you

P.S .If someone can remember the set list and post it, that would be great, because it really was great set.

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

Great post Al - oh to have been there in 77 - but then I was only seven so I doubt my mum would have let me go :!:

I went to the first SO gig at the H&A and that was a great night too - I did know what I would be missing last night and was gutted I couldn't make it. I see Sid's point about the lack of turn-out, but we all have our reasons for not being able to go, doesn't mean we didn't want to :wink:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Great reviews there from both Sid and Al, I must admit I expected a decent turn out with this being a London gig and in such a legendary venue.
Hope this doesn't put the band off from playing there in the future.

Wish I could have been there but you can't go everytime and everywhere.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
BazinBlack
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by BazinBlack »

Blackbeered wrote:we all have our reasons for not being able to go, doesn't mean we didn't want to :wink:
With you there BB :smt023
Strolling along minding my own business.....
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

What a seriously brilliant gig the guys put on for us last night and on a night that marked The Stranglers performance at The Hope and Anchor, 35 years ago to the day.

I loved every minute of it and even had the pleasure of taking to the stage to welcome the boys back on for their well deserved encore.

The attendance could have been better but it was nice to see some Forum folk at the venue. Hugs and kisses with Big Al, Sid, Pigeon, Claire, Kath, Touchline, Fatbus (get the lads to play at The 100 Club !) and one or two other regular faces. Sorry if I have forgotten anyone.

It was also a pleasure to see Ava who I hope made it home safely.

The Pinot Grigio at The Hope and Anchor is truly first class and at £7.90 a bottle, it represents great value. They serve it at just the right temperature which makes viewing Straighten Out even more enjoyable. Goodness knows how much we got through but I did look like a car crash this morning.

Went home via the Finchley kebab house and got myself an excellent chicken kebab which I washed down with some red wine whilst listening to La Folie. Woke up at 5am, still in my clothes, on the sofa. Silly boy.

Thank you, gentlemen, for a most entertaining evening. The four of you are a first class act and you have a marvelous road crew to boot too.

Extremely excellent and I look forward to my next Straighten Out extravaganza.

I took some photos which are below.

PiL

These two wanted to come with me to the gig but I told them to sod off.

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

Alan A Hillier wrote:
P.S .If someone can remember the set list and post it, that would be great, because it really was great set.

Al
5 Minutes
I Feel Like A Wog
Time To Die
Nuclear Device
Toiler On The Sea
Norfolk Coast
Peaches
Shah Shah A Go Go
The Raven
Ugly
Goodbye Toulouse