The Wickerman Music Festival - Know much about it ?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Dagenham Dave
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dagenham Dave »

Heard an interview on the radio at the weekend as someone from the South of Scotland was talking about the Wickerman Music festival. Seemingly the festival is named after a seventies film where a 60 ft Wickerman - large straw effigy thingy is a central part of the movie - probably the reason why a Wickerman is burnt at Midnight during the music festivities.

Buzzcocks and the Levellers were a couple of acts mentioned during the interview who were contracted to appear at the large farmland down in Galloway - although the previous years bill looked better with the Damned, Nine Below Zero, Bad Manners, Uk Subs and some others.

Organisers reckon that in ten years time, this festival can be as big as Glastonbury - and only time will tell if they are right or not.

Anyone been to this festival ?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I keep meaning to do it. Didn`t the Damned or SLF play it last year? Looks a blast and it`s got Wickerman connections which is a bonus!

"chirst NO!" :D <--- my Edward Woodward impression

Jim :D
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Dagenham Dave
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dagenham Dave »

The Damned - yeah I mentioned that they played the previous year.

Wickerman seems to go with the Stranglers image of dark and mysterious tendencies. I've probably unwittingly suggested the title of the next Stranglers album "The Wickerman" :)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

As if NC wasn`t Wickerman-ish enough!

Anyway a Buzzcocks fan writes:-

"The weekend started with a Friday afternnoon mad drive up the M6 from manchester . Wristbands on , tents up , into the northern soul/punk tent...just in time for counterfeit clash . I didn't think they were very good but maybe its a matter of opinion , they seemed to be a cross between slipknot and motorhead !
Friday night blended into Saturday on £2.60 a pint.
Saturday dinner session in the indian chill tent then sleep until 6.30pm
Selecter were very good , one of the highlights of the weekend .
Buzzcocks were outstanding , best sound and lighting for a long time ! too short if there are to be any complaints , only 1hr long .
wickerman burned well , rumour has it someone tried lighting it at 10.30pm but were arrested .
went back to punk tent after midnight to another live group , they were ok.
went into eden and the chill tent , it was like there was 100s of corpses laying everywhere doped out .
By this time a gale was blowing outside and we went to our tents , we were soaked .
the scottish morning alarm clock of rockets exploding were unwelcoming .
traffic jam on the way home was a little annoying on the M6
all in all an excellent weekend , please do it next year ."

Sounds a blast doesn`t it? If the Stranglers play next year we should organise a coach and get Carl to drive :D

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"