Stranglers Computer Game???

If you`re new to the site post in here and we`ll say hello! - Also if you haven`t posted in the last 3 months post here to keep your account alive - otherwise it will be removed.
DeadRinger
SHAKESPEARO

Stranglers Computer Game???

Post by DeadRinger » 17 Oct 2008, 14:14

Not sure if this is the right forum area to start this thread but can anyone shed any light on the supposed stranglers ZX Spectrum game that was added on to the Aural Sculpture cassette format album?

DR

DeadRinger
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Stranglers Computer Game???

Post by DeadRinger » 17 Oct 2008, 14:22

Just found out this:

Though not released on Vinyl, the cassette version of The Stranglers’ ‘Aural Sculpture’ album included the audio pulses of a game called ‘Aural Quest.’ The game, a text adventure in which you controlled the band’s tour manager, was written by their Keyboard player, Dave Greenfield.

Still want to know if anyone played it....

DR

cassydale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by cassydale » 17 Oct 2008, 17:39

I tried it and couldnt do it so gave up.

Fairly sure its available to download somewhere but cant find the link at the moment.

I,m sure one of our learned friends will point you in the right direction.
John.H.

I Should Have Wrapped You Up And Kept You Safe,Instead I Turned My Back On You.

Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea » 17 Oct 2008, 23:15

Play online here :smt007

Though not released on Vinyl, the cassette version of The Stranglers’ ‘Aural Sculpture’ album included the audio pulses of a game called ‘Aural Quest.’ The game, a text adventure in which you controlled the band’s tour manager, was written by their Keyboard player, Dave Greenfield.
From the newsgroups:
”Sorry, Mr. Greenfield, if you read this, but it’s true..the game’s so bad I took my copy of Aural Sculpture back to the shop to exchange for the version without the game on the end of the tape (which they had to order specially!)..it just wasn’t worth the aggro of falling to sleep with the tape on and being woken by a Spectrum 48k loading noise!” :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.

Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik » 18 Oct 2008, 11:35

go here http://www.sewer.uklinux.net/

then aural quest

Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea » 18 Oct 2008, 18:18

AURAL QUEST
Walk Through with Dorothy Millard (Spectrum Version)

Scenario
You are the Stranglers' Tour Manager. In the middle of decorating your flat you get a telephone
call from CBS Records who want you to fly to five cities, Nice, New York, Stockholm, Tokyo and
Brisbane, to collect the promoters' payments for the Stranglers Tour. You also have to find and
bring back to London the four parts of a massive ear statue that the group use as part of their
act. The payments must also be returned to London and taken to the accountant's office where
you will get your next plane ticket.

Walk Through
(Start as the Stranglers' Tour Manager atop a ladder in your apartment which you are
redecorating), D (your foot is wedged in the paint pot), REMOVE POT, INVENTORY (you are carrying
a brush), DROP BRUSH, LIFT COVERS (see a desk and telephone), ANSWER TELEPHONE (you receive
instructions to go to Nice, New York, Stockholm, Tokyo and Brisbane to collect promoters'
payments), OPEN DESK, GET PASSPORT (leave the toolkit for now), W (into accountant's office),
GET travellers CHEQUES, GET TICKET, S (to exhibition hall), GET PHRASEBOOK, NW (to Heathrow
airport), FLY NICE.

NICE
(You arrive at Nice airport), E, S, U (to coffee house), BUY COFFEE (you are now seated at a
table and see a business card, book of matches and a souvenir pen… the waiter brings your order,
accepts your travellers cheque and leaves your change on the table), GET CHANGE, GET business
CARD, EXAMINE CARD (it has a lawyer's telephone number on it - leave the rest), N, N (door of
promoter's office), GO DOOR (into office where you are given the payment, but he is agitated
because the band is in jail - note you need the phrase book to understand), GET PAYMENT, S, S, E
(to telephone booth), TELEPHONE LAWYER (he picks you up and drives you to jail where he arranges
bail for the group - note you need the card, book and change), DROP CARD, GET part of EAR, READY
(you arrive at Nice airport and fly to London… you arrive at Heathrow airport), SE (to
exhibition hall), DROP EAR, N (to accountant's office), DROP PAYMENT, GET TICKET, W (back to
Heathrow airport), FLY NEW YORK.

NEW YORK
(You arrive at New York), W (into central park where you pick up a piece of the ear but are
mugged and wake in hospital without your money or passport), RING ACCOUNTANT (he pays your
medical bills and arranges for some travellers cheques, but you still need a new passport), W
(outside British Embassy), READ NOTICE (“Passport Office 6th Floor”), S (the elevator sticks at
the 5th floor so you walk), N, E, E, S (you find the stairs and ascend), N (into passport office
where you are issued with a new one), D (in elevator to outside British Embassy), N (into
promoter's office), GET PAYMENT, S, E (to airport), FLY LONDON (to Heathrow), E (into
accountant's office), DROP PAYMENT, GET TICKET, S (into exhibition hall), DROP EAR, NW (to
airport), FLY STOCKHOLM.

STOCKHOLM
(You arrive at Stockholm airport), READ NOTICE, E (into airport lounge), GET PAYMENT), E (two
policemen insist that you are something to do with the Stranglers and must leave the country),
W, FLY LONDON (to Heathrow airport), E (into accountant's office), DROP PAYMENT, GET TICKET, N
(into local pub where you see Joe (security), BUY JOE (? a drink and he says he will go with
you), SW (to airport), FLY TOKYO.

TOKYO
(You arrive at Narita airport where police urge you to go east for your own safety - leave the
plank), E, W, S, S (into promoter's office), GET PAYMENT (he offers a cheque but Joe, your
security friend, insists on cash), N, N, E (street trader), BUY WATCH (using travellers cheque),
W, N, N (main door to building), READ NOTICE (a karate demo will take place shortly), LOOK
WATCH, S, N (door is now open)l GO DOOR (into public hall where a man offers you a token), GET
TOKEN, S, S (gate to gardens), GO GATE (the token gives admission to the traditional Japanese
flower garden), DROP TOKEN, GO BRIDGE (to island), DROP WATCH, GET EAR, GO BRIDGE, W, S (to
airport), FLY LONDON, SE (to exhibition hall), DROP EAR, N (into accountant's office), DROP
PAYMENT, GET TICKET, W (to airport), FLY BRISBANE.

BRISBANE
(You arrive at Brisbane airport - leave the DDT spraygun), S (to shopping precinct), U, U (to
promoter's office), GET PAYMENT, D, GO DOOR (to electrical shop), BUY TORCH (with travellers
cheques), W, D, N, N (to track), W (outside pub), ON TORCH (you are in a cellar), GET CRATE (of
Fosters), U, E, E, N (to track), READ NOTICE, N (gate to military nuclear institution which is
guarded by soldiers), BRIBE GUARDS (with the Fosters… you are inside the top secret nuclear
device scientific station), READ POSTER, GET EAR, S, S, S, S (to Brisbane Airport), FLY LONDON
(the accountant meets your plane at Heathrow airport, takes the final promoter's payment from
you and drives you to the exhibition hall), DROP EAR (the crew ask for a toolkit and you have
eight moves to get one), NE (into flat), GET TOOLKIT, SW, DROP TOOLKIT (the Aural Sculpture is
assembled……)

OK. Clever Dick, You've won!!
SCORE 100%
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 26 Feb 2009, 13:54

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer » 26 Feb 2009, 19:14

This was the reason I bought a Spectrum 48K, £119.99 I believe ? I only got as far as Nice :lol:
Apple 2.4 ghz Intel 'core 2 duo' MacBook

Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart » 03 Feb 2010, 16:09

Ive still got the game but unfortunately no spectrum
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said

Mr-Tele
Rats Rally

Post by Mr-Tele » 08 Feb 2010, 20:57

lol i keep falling off and breaking my neck :lol:
They’ve been cooking on Blue Peter
Now they’re sampling the dishes
“I don’t normally like tomatoes, John
But this is delicious”

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 09 Aug 2016, 16:06

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula » 10 Aug 2016, 10:23

PaulinLondon wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNmkcr9qviU

Interesting.
Christ! I watched about 5 minutes and that was bad enough. Sod trying to actually play the thing. :lol:
ManInBrown