Glasvegas.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

nbm
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by nbm »

I'm going to see Echo and Bunnymen at Radio City on October 1st. They are performing Ocean with a full orchestra.

Glasvegas are opening. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Neal
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Saw Glasvegas at Academy 3 in Manchester last night. They were excellent great musicians creating a big wall of sound. Lead singer models himself on Joe Strummer in look and mannerisms. Highly recommended and privileged to see them in a venue so small. It won't be the case for long.
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

Giving them a try at the moment. Only listened to the first track though.

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

Listened to the album a few times at work this week, but not overly impressed to be honest. A poor man's Jesus and Mary Chain. Biggest problem - all the bloody songs sound the same. :?
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I'm going to break the bank and get their CD.

Looking forward to nbm's review too. 8)
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

Old Angus wrote:Listened to the album a few times at work this week, but not overly impressed to be honest. A poor man's Jesus and Mary Chain. Biggest problem - all the bloody songs sound the same. :?
I think that this, plus the fact that I can't stand regional dialects in songs e.g Arctic Monkeys, Millions of Larndaner kids these days, Wurzels etc means that this wasn't really a match made in heaven for me.

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re:

Post by saminblack »

PaulinLondon wrote:I'm going to break the bank and get their CD.

Looking forward to nbm's review too. 8)

Did you get it yet Paul? I am still looooving it.
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Glasvegas.

Post by Freddie Laker »

I've listened to the album a couple of times, and though it is indeed a bit samey, I've no hesitation in spending 12 quid of my hard-earned to go and see them in Cambridge at the end of Nov.
If they don't live up to expectations, at least it won't break the bank, but I suspect the wall of sound anthems will be an assault on your ears in a venue the size of The Junction. With the exposure and reviews they're getting at the moment I think they'll be huge in the coming months, so it's a good chance to see them up close.
I tried to buy the CD in the shop at the airport yesterday, but the nice man told me they'd sold out in no time, and he'd lost count of the number of people asking for it. :o
I quite like the regional accent thing (particularly the Glaswegian swearing wich really works for me), provided the guy really does talk like that - imagine if he opens his mouth for a chat between songs and sounds like Mr Chomley-Warner. :shock:
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I bought the album Sam ; from Sainsburys :shock:

Anyway, it's growing on me and is likely to achieve a 7/10.

That said, I would like to see them live too.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Just bought a ticket to see them at Bristol in November. It was totally sold out some time ago (it is a small venue) but I got one off ebay for just a tenner more than face value (still only £23). This band is going to go through the orbit in terms of how big they will be I think so it will be nice to catch them in a small venue at a sell-out gig before they sell-out in other ways!!!!
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
nbm
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by nbm »

Last night was the gig at Radio City. I thought they were pretty good. A good complement as an opening act to Echo and the Bunnymen.

They did sound very Jesus and Mary Chain - like. Tough to give a full assessment as the seats were pretty far back and I had not heard any of their recorded material first.

They are playing a small venue on Saturday - Mercury Lounge - which is already sold out. I think they will come across much better there.

There are some videos already on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFmKU4C5AfU

The view on this video is similar to the view I had.
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

Saw them last night in Cambridge - sold out months ago, so The Junction was packed.
Avoided the opening band "Thomas Tantrum" having seen them support someone else (can't remember who). Second support band were "White Lies" - we quite enjoyed them, although every track seemed to remind us of a different band. Hints of Joy Division, Franz Ferdinand, Big Country, and even A Flock of Seagulls. :shock:
Glasvegas opened their set at 9:45 with Flowers and Football Tops - absolutely immense wall of sound which continued unbroken throughout their set.
Best songs - My Own Cheating Heart, Go Square Go, Geraldine, and of course their defining anthem Daddy's Gone.
A little too much dry ice meant that most of the time we were watching shadows in the dark, but I suspect that was intentional.
Had a bit of a set-to with with two lads in front of us who seemed to be only interested in texting their mates and chatting. We put up with it for a while, then told them to fcuk off to the back if they didn't want to watch the band, and strangely enough they did. :?
No chat from Glasvegas in between tracks, and the end of each song seemed to lead into the start of the next, so not many laughs (unlike the fun we all had on The Stranglers tour :lol: ).
By 10:35 it was all over - less than an hour including encores did seem a little brief, but if the music industry predictions of greatness come to fruition I doubt they'll be back at The Junction again so it was great to see them up close.
Four people wearing black, creating a big sound to sell-out crowds of devoted followers...sound familiar ???
7/10 (if they'd played for another 20 minutes, I'd probably have given them an 8 ).
8)