'blackmail sleeve'

As the title really - no bootleg stuff please.

Moderator: StanInBlack

NestorMakhno
SHAKESPEARO

'blackmail sleeve'

Post by NestorMakhno »

If you look at e-bay a copy of the blackmail sleeve is for sale combined with Free 4 the peaches radioplay demo,i always believed that free 4 was sent to DJs in a plain white sleeve (like mine) is this therefore a bootleg(the sleeve and the record or both) if so it seems to be getting very pricey ,currently at £103.00 !!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121078911355? ... 1438.l2649
Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: 'blackmail sleeve'

Post by Burn e 77 »

NestorMakhno wrote:If you look at e-bay a copy of the blackmail sleeve is for sale combined with Free 4 the peaches radioplay demo,i always believed that free 4 was sent to DJs in a plain white sleeve (like mine) is this therefore a bootleg(the sleeve and the record or both) if so it seems to be getting very pricey ,currently at £103.00 !!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121078911355? ... 1438.l2649
It's actually legit.
But save your ca$h, and buy the kids some decent gifts instead.
Burn e 77 :wink:
Something better change!
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Pity about the pen scribbling on the back of the sleeve!! That will substantially reduce the price. :|
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
NestorMakhno
SHAKESPEARO

Post by NestorMakhno »

Just sold for £510.00 jeez hope for the buyers sake it was legit... Hey does that mean my vinyl without the pic sleeve is worth half that !! :shock:
porkymeat
Ugly
Ugly

Post by porkymeat »

NestorMakhno wrote:Just sold for £510.00 jeez hope for the buyers sake it was legit... Hey does that mean my vinyl without the pic sleeve is worth half that !! :shock:
Not if the market follows the same route as modern first editions: the book jacket is 90% of the money and you may as well throw the book away.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
shutupshutup
SHAKESPEARO

Post by shutupshutup »

Hello there,
I was the buyer of the auction. It is indeed a genuine cover. This is my 4th over the years so I know a genuine cover. The bootlegs are very substandard copies. Just colour copies. Colour is very different.
I bought from a trusted seller also. Leedsoddjob is a very knowledgable collector.
The single was "included in the sale". I had one already so the extra free 4 was just a bonus.
Some history.
Way back in the 80's i bought 2 mint blackmail covers from an ex UA guy for £20 each!! I went to his house to collect. He pulled out 6 from a shelf. All mint... Each had a radioplay free 4 in. This was how this batch came from the plant. I had no more cash on me to buy the other 4 so said id call back and return to buy. When I raised the cash he didnt want to sell them.
So I think the free 4 s went out initially in the Blackmail covers, and then plain covers when all available Blackmails were destroyed.
Price? I paid £510 for the cover and record. The record is near mint. Value £100-£120. So i got the cover for £400. Its now framed and on the wall. Front side is in amazing condition. No rips tears or wear and it looks great in the frame. Shame about the scribble on the back. But its a starter cover. A decent ex+ / mint- cover is gonna be around a grand theses days, so I reckon £400 to get on the ladder isnt bad.
If another comes up ill try to upgrade.
Hope this info is useful.
D
Ian9331
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ian9331 »

Yes. Thanks for the info.
Maybe I'll find love when there's nothing to do........