Braintree........Who's going?

Leave messages for other fans here

Moderator: StanInBlack

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

C r a s s ! wrote:That'll be on the Fly straight with: Cardiff - who's going? thread!!
gizzard wrote::(

Fly straight with... No sleep til Cardiff :grin:
:lol: :lol:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
spaceace
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by spaceace »

Anyone got any ideas on the set-list for Braintree? I'm going to be videoing as much of the Stranglers set as my memory cards will allow and if there's any new tracks played I'll post them on youtube like I did with Dartford? :grin:
And if you hassle me mister I might just lose my head.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

btw...

Soz for hijacking this thread and going off topic when I'm not even going to Braintree!

Fly Straight With....SO FUCKING SUE ME IN COURT! :twisted: :P
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Pleased to meet ya both......I'll let you do the review then :smile:
Fuck it!...I'll Do It Meself!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Hey GRAYO!

pm'd ya twice but the messages are stuck in my 'Outbox'

Fly Straight With..........fuck me! saying "Fly Straight With...etc" is addictive! :smt013
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
ThruBeingCool wrote:Pleased to meet ya both......I'll let you do the review then :smile:
Do a cut and paste Bazza old chum - Some of us don't have access to that site.

Paul

Fly Straight With Can I Be Bothered With Another Site ? Meeeeeh !
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
grayo
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by grayo »

paulinblack wrote:
ThruBeingCool wrote:
Do a cut and paste Bazza old chum - Some of us don't have access to that site.

Paul

Fly Straight With Can I Be Bothered With Another Site ? Meeeeeh !

O.K quick review from last night.

Anyone else heard of or been to Langley Mill? No? I recommend you keep it that way

This was my 5th visit to see Baz at the local snooker hall in the land that time forgot. Went with my brother, darling wife and the 'Hugh Grant Of Banbury' aka Mr Paul Bibby (Paul B or Bibski to some of you) However we arrived a little earlier than planned and decided to try a pint in one of the local pubs near the venue. Hard to tell what it was like inside because all the curtains were closed but we thought "fuck it!" let's bite the bullet and entered.

Oh dear! It was like the pub scene out of 'American Werewolf in London'.As soon as we entered the bar, the half a dozen or so locals halted their conversations and stared at us as if we were aliens. Deffo a local pub for local people! As we ordered our drinks the silence was deafening and to say that we felt uncomfortable there would be the understatement of the year!

However, the locals did seem to tolerate us once they realised we were actually human. There was even something resembling warm social intercourse (I said SOCIAL! )between us & them before we left. Still, glad to get out of there all the same.

Anyway, 10 minutes later after a short stroll down the street we entered 'Potters Snooker Hall'. As we paid our £3 and signed in we could see Baz tuning up at the other end of the room. Still early and the venue was basically empty apart from Baz's entourage (Shaggy & co), a few locals and us (the strangers from another planet!).

During the next hour or so we started to get steadily pissed as the venue began to fill up with mainly locals who would be here anyway on a Saturday neet and also others who had travelled to actually see a Baz Warne gig.Kept hoping that Baz would join us for a while but he was in demand last night so we politely tried not to interupt his conversations - at least early on!

Eventually Baz took the stage and we were treated to the usual mixture of jokes, banter and songs that are all equally essential ingredients of his solo gigs. And fuck me!..it was quality in all these aspects last night.Entertaining and funny as fuck!

As you all know Baz gives as good as he gets and seems to thrive on working a difficult audience. When he gets heckled he usually puts the culprits down immediately with one of his quick-witted comments (I know this from experience)..but there were occassions last night where even he was stuck for words and couldn't help but laugh at some of the comments that were aimed at him.

Best heckle...

Bloke in audience: "Take that fucking swimming cap off!"

There was a point where I turned into a tennis fan, looking left to right and back again as the heckles and retorts between Baz and certain characters in the audience went into quick fire mode. Fucking hilarious and all good natured.

Baz's jokes and stories as usual were very amusing. The bloke has so much character and is a natural at 'stand-up'.

Best joke:

"Aye, them suicide bombers.........what makes 'em tick?"

You had to be there.

And on to the music. Often,in the past, I have found Baz's choice of songs to be questionable to say the least. However, he seems to have finely tuned his set and
performed the best selection of songs last night that I've seen him do.

So we had amongst others:

Nice 'N' Sleazy
Million Stars
Down Under
Peaches
Long Black Veil
Dutch Moon
Rocking In The Free World
My Friend The Sun
Crime In The City
Walk On By
Where You Been
Spectre Of Love

So many more.....including the BBC Snooker theme, 'Postman Pat' (as a young kid walked past), 'Tainted Love' (A request from me which I smugly thought he wouldn't play but Baz went straight into it!)....oh and 'Strange Little Girl' (where he managed to change part of the lyrics to "Barry Spooner is gay!"..harumph!)

Anyway, an amazing set which was performed to a more attentive 'Potters' audience for once. Was it my imagination or did more punters actually turn up to see Baz last night than usual? He went down very well indeed.

That's about it. Met some good, good people last night including a chap who posts elsewhere as '50millionwatches' and his young daughter (little JJ fan)..also bumped into a mate I hadn't seen for years who only realised I was there when Baz was taking the piss out of me! Unfortunately Baz became aware of the situation due to my old chums rather over-enthusiastic response to our re-aquaintance. Cue some serious piss-taking from Baz for the rest of the gig

There was also another guy I met, looked like he was an extra from a 'Mad Max' movie who seemed to just burp and shout "Sieg Heil" throughout the night. A total nutter who was proud,FUCKING PROUD of his England tee...as well as his tats & piercings no doubt

Had a brief conversation with Baz where he told me everything about PR's departure, gave me a promo cd of 'Suite 16'plus a pass for every gig on the upcoming tour......

Sorry, the last bit was a lie! Did have a short chat with Baz at the end of the night but can't remember much about
it. A bit pissed - like every fucker else there!

Can't wait for the next one!

I bet you all are now gagging to see Baz in Langley Mill in the future as I've sold the idea so well?

Fly straight with get out of bed TBC........... :grin:
Eurofemme
Down In The Sewer

Post by Eurofemme »

To everyone who's going to Braintree! Have a good ole knees up!! I can't go...mummy on call....

Bry, have a great time. I have posted ur ticket today. A good review would be nice m8!

Grayo...have a BLAST!!! Get yourself right down the front, with Andy and do YOUR STUFF!!!!

Btw, Baz Spooner! Excellent review!! Thanx for that!

xxx
grayo

Post by grayo »

Aww thanks Shel! I'll have a go albeit with a splintered Family-In Black but will be thinking of you OK? Glad you're coming round a bit too as it won't be the same without you. AND......I'm gonna break with tradition and stand on JJ's side for a change so I can catch Ladpin just in case he faints again during the gig. I have brought some Barley sugar sweets with me this time so if I see him flagging I can pop one into him (Oo-er missus :shock: ).

Fly straight with why do you impose you rules and treat the rest of us like fools..............................
ladpinblack

Post by ladpinblack »

I would just like to point out that at no point in the past, and certainly at not point in the future will Grayo be popping one into me. Im breaking with tradition at Braintree and Im going to stand on Baz side of the stage, just to get away from that loud bald welsh geezer.
Eurofemme
Down In The Sewer

Post by Eurofemme »

May I suggest a suit of armour, Ladp? :shock:
grayo

Post by grayo »

ladpinblack wrote:I would just like to point out that at no point in the past, and certainly at not point in the future will Grayo be popping one into me. Im breaking with tradition at Braintree and Im going to stand on Baz side of the stage, just to get away from that loud bald welsh geezer.
You saying I smell or something?

Fly straight with it's been more than 25 years but I ain't forgotten..............