Looe Festival

Leave messages for other fans here

Moderator: StanInBlack

elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Looe Festival

Post by elvisintheclouds »

So how was it? ...curiously quiet on here.... Must be one massive hangover...
Thank you very much
EiTC
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

It was bloody cold and wet! But good though :grin:
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

Ravenette wrote:It was bloody cold and wet! But good though :grin:
Great review Ravenette! :smt026
Sweat and shite and blood!
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

Stevie.T-'up north' wrote:
Ravenette wrote:It was bloody cold and wet! But good though :grin:
Great review Ravenette! :smt026
:lol: :lol: I thought so too... I'm sure Pidge will do one for you all...
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Thanks for the update Ravenette 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
I.K. Burnel
Down In The Sewer

Post by I.K. Burnel »

OK here goes then-I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced, after the sublime Fowey gig in 2010, I was delighted that the Stranglers were coming back to Cornwall, knowing that JJ and Baz had spent some time in Looe a few years ago, I wasn't surprised they'd agreed to come there to play. I dived right in and bought three weekend tickets for me and my wife and daughter. Looe, for those of you not familiar, is a typical Cornish fishing village nestling on the banks of the Looe River and overlooking Whitsand Bay. Bit of a tourist destination, some nice pubs and restaurants and two very nice beaches, and not a whole lot else to be honest. Looe Music Festival only started last year, this year is a much bigger event. I received a text, whilst at work, from my wife, saying 'Do you kno syrangets (yes that is a direct quote) are playin in loo in sept?' (she was out with friends, one of them a Looe native, who had given her the news. She had also been on the Rose quite heavily).
Anyway as the weekend drew nearer the texts from Looe Festival began to arrive, keeping me informed of the upcoming goings-on. I found out one of my daughter's favourite bands, Kernuyk, were also playing on Sunday. As the week before the gig progressed the weather forecasts for Sunday became less and less encouraging, heavy rain predicted. Saturday nice, Sunday lousy. Oh-oh.
Anyway the weekend arrived, we eventually decided not to go on Saturday (I saw the Levellers once, many years ago, before they were successful, supporting New Model Army, and they never did much for me). On reflection I wish we'd gone now, as the weather was great and I'm told it was a really good day with a great atmosphere.
Sunday dawned. An early morning look out the window revealed no rain, but that was to change within the hour. We set off around lunchtime, stopping off to collect my daughter's boyfriend who had no ticket, but planned to get a day ticket on arrival. Rain was sporadic, ranging from quite heavy to brief periods without any. First mission was to get a decent parking space-my wife has M.S., so long walks are not good for her, so I hoped to get as close to the festival site as possible-also giving us a bolt hole to return to if it got too wet. Our luck was in and we got one right in the Town car park outside the Harbour Stage. Next job was my daughter's boyfriend's ticket. Big sign outside the box office-'No day tickets due to bad weather'. Ohh sh***t. I went in and handed over ours, and got our wristbands, and threw myself upon the mercy of the Box Office staff, who were very sympathetic and said they'd had one handed back, which he could have-'but don't tell anybody!' So I haven't. Result!
A wander down to the beach and the main stage was not at all encouraging-strong winds driving the rain straight onshore, the beach deserted, the stage (Stranglers backdrop already in situ) bare. We scuttled swiftly back to the car, en route I saw Kernow King (local comedian heavily featured at Looe, of whom I am a recently converted fan), and I couldn't resist accosting him for a brief chat. Wishing him a good show, we retired to the car for a cup of tea and a bite to eat. A brief foray to the Harbour Stage didn't last long, as now my daughter wasn't feeling well. I agreed to wander down to the main stage and report back, as I wanted to catch Empire of Fools who were supposedly playing there. On the way I fell in behind some festival organising types, who were having a heated discussion about 'making a decision', and somebody 'wasn't going to get paid!' Didn't sound good, and on arrival at the beach it looked even worse-the weather was no better, there were about three people on the beach and the stage was no more heavily populated than it had been earlier on. I hung around a while, several worried-looking festival organisers to be seen, and not a lot happening, although people were starting to come through the gate in dribs and drabs. I very nearly packed up there and then and bogged off home, thinking 'this is not happening!' Thankfully I didn't! My phone rang, my daughter was now feeling better and was off to buy burgers and chips, and there was a group of festivalites on the stage having a conflab. I promised to keep my wife informed.
I took up a position directly in front of the stage, dead centre, only planning at that point to earwig on the conflab taking place and find out what was what. It still didn't look good, lots of grim faces and gesticulating, obviously some of them were concerned about electrics and safety, and it still loooked not at all promising. Then Kernuyk appeared (I know them, my band supported them a few years ago, good bunch of lads), and I heard Rob the lead singer and guitarist, say 'what are the chances of us actually dying?' Obviously not that favourable, as soon after that the drum kit appeared on the stage, and it was obvious they were going ahead. Good on 'em! I reported back to the family via phone, and soon daughter and boyfriend appeared. My wife had brought her folding chair and took up a position on the promenade overlooking the stage. Kernuyk came on and performed a damn fine set, if a little shortened, at one point joined by Kernow King for a rendition of 'Pasties' (a rewrite of 'Peaches' by the Presidents of the United States of America-not the Stranglers) Off they go, and now the Stranglers crew get to work, as it's an hour until they are due on. At one point blokes with climbing gear scale the stage to put up extra weather screening. Daughter and boyfriend disappear, and I decide I quite like it where I am, and I'm going to stay put. I have my full Gore-tex waterproofs and warm hat on, and I'm ready to take whatever the weather can throw at me-which is quite a lot as there are still sporadic heavy showers coming in off the sea driven by the stong winds.
Gig time approaches, it's dark, and as 'Waltzinblack' starts up, it decides to start chucking it down again. The band come on, JJ and Baz all wrapped up in their coats, and it's straight into '5 Minutes'. The band are obviously finding the whole thing highly amusing, much grinning and laughter on stage. The sound was the best I've heard at a Stranglers gig for quite a while, the weather didn't detract at all, and I reckoned it was a cracking set-the first time for several years that I've been down the front, and I loved it-it could bucket down as hard as it liked, I was waterproof and in amongst all those bodies there was no chance of getting cold! The security staff were extremely professional, there was a young lad right behind me and they were continually checking to make sure he was OK-eventually he and his Mum had to be pulled out, as did several others. Baz was on good form, tickled at the fact that Showaddywaddy had played earlier on in the weekend as he remarked on it twice. JJ at one point advanced to the edge of the stage, in the middle of one of the frequent downpours, played the opening bars of 'Peaches' then stopped, as his fretboard was dripping wet! He started something else instead, I forget what-a few songs later, he had a roadie with an extremely poncey souvenir-shop see-through umbrella held over him as he started 'Peaches' again. The 'I can think of a lot worse places' section tonight was along the lines of 'like playing on a beach in the p*ssing down rain, at the end of an English Summer!' Naturally as 'Always the Sun' started another heavy downpour commenced! Highlights for me were my three favourites, 'Hanging around', 'Duchess' and 'Tank', the closer. Also a cracking version of 'Relentless'-I reckon if that had been written during the Hugh era that would now be regarded as a classic along with so many others of that time. Baz also remarked about the time he and JJ had spent in Looe a few years ago whilst writing new songs, and the 'secret' gig they did in a local pub, where the landlady couldn't resist telling the press, so the tiny place had about 200 people in it! There was much good humour on stage, the band were obviously enjoying themselves, and I thought the stand-in drummer did a decent job-although I preferred Ian Barnard's drumming personally.
Gig's end, and I emerge to find my wife soaked to the skin (despite my numerous exhortations, neither she nor my daughter had dressed adequately for the lousy conditions-my daughter and her boyfriend, also soaked, had retreated to the car some time ago. We get back to find the car won't start! Prime suspect is my daughter, who has been charging her mobile phone without the engine on. Thankfully we get the best service I've ever had from a breakdown organisation, within half an hour an RAC man has arrived, and gets us going, during the worst downpour of the night, within ten minutes! Superb service.
A shame the weather couldn't have cooperated for another day, but it failed to ruin an excellent gig, and despite the conditions I certainly had no complaints about the organisation of the event either-I got regular texts informing me of what was going on, the security was excellent and I though they, and the Stranglers, did a bleddy good job (me 'ansomes!)

Some good pics here:-

http://www.facebook.com/looemusic#!/med ... 191&type=3

Very brief Baz and JJ interview here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Lbwi2v ... e=youtu.be
Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

I.K. Burnel wrote:OK here goes then-I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced, after the sublime Fowey gig in 2010, I was delighted that the Stranglers were coming back to Cornwall, knowing that JJ and Baz had spent some time in Looe a few years ago, I wasn't surprised they'd agreed to come there to play. I dived right in and bought three weekend tickets for me and my wife and daughter. Looe, for those of you not familiar, is a typical Cornish fishing village nestling on the banks of the Looe River and overlooking Whitsand Bay. Bit of a tourist destination, some nice pubs and restaurants and two very nice beaches, and not a whole lot else to be honest. Looe Music Festival only started last year, this year is a much bigger event. I received a text, whilst at work, from my wife, saying 'Do you kno syrangets (yes that is a direct quote) are playin in loo in sept?' (she was out with friends, one of them a Looe native, who had given her the news. She had also been on the Rose quite heavily).
Anyway as the weekend drew nearer the texts from Looe Festival began to arrive, keeping me informed of the upcoming goings-on. I found out one of my daughter's favourite bands, Kernuyk, were also playing on Sunday. As the week before the gig progressed the weather forecasts for Sunday became less and less encouraging, heavy rain predicted. Saturday nice, Sunday lousy. Oh-oh.
Anyway the weekend arrived, we eventually decided not to go on Saturday (I saw the Levellers once, many years ago, before they were successful, supporting New Model Army, and they never did much for me). On reflection I wish we'd gone now, as the weather was great and I'm told it was a really good day with a great atmosphere.
Sunday dawned. An early morning look out the window revealed no rain, but that was to change within the hour. We set off around lunchtime, stopping off to collect my daughter's boyfriend who had no ticket, but planned to get a day ticket on arrival. Rain was sporadic, ranging from quite heavy to brief periods without any. First mission was to get a decent parking space-my wife has M.S., so long walks are not good for her, so I hoped to get as close to the festival site as possible-also giving us a bolt hole to return to if it got too wet. Our luck was in and we got one right in the Town car park outside the Harbour Stage. Next job was my daughter's boyfriend's ticket. Big sign outside the box office-'No day tickets due to bad weather'. Ohh sh***t. I went in and handed over ours, and got our wristbands, and threw myself upon the mercy of the Box Office staff, who were very sympathetic and said they'd had one handed back, which he could have-'but don't tell anybody!' So I haven't. Result!
A wander down to the beach and the main stage was not at all encouraging-strong winds driving the rain straight onshore, the beach deserted, the stage (Stranglers backdrop already in situ) bare. We scuttled swiftly back to the car, en route I saw Kernow King (local comedian heavily featured at Looe, of whom I am a recently converted fan), and I couldn't resist accosting him for a brief chat. Wishing him a good show, we retired to the car for a cup of tea and a bite to eat. A brief foray to the Harbour Stage didn't last long, as now my daughter wasn't feeling well. I agreed to wander down to the main stage and report back, as I wanted to catch Empire of Fools who were supposedly playing there. On the way I fell in behind some festival organising types, who were having a heated discussion about 'making a decision', and somebody 'wasn't going to get paid!' Didn't sound good, and on arrival at the beach it looked even worse-the weather was no better, there were about three people on the beach and the stage was no more heavily populated than it had been earlier on. I hung around a while, several worried-looking festival organisers to be seen, and not a lot happening, although people were starting to come through the gate in dribs and drabs. I very nearly packed up there and then and bogged off home, thinking 'this is not happening!' Thankfully I didn't! My phone rang, my daughter was now feeling better and was off to buy burgers and chips, and there was a group of festivalites on the stage having a conflab. I promised to keep my wife informed.
I took up a position directly in front of the stage, dead centre, only planning at that point to earwig on the conflab taking place and find out what was what. It still didn't look good, lots of grim faces and gesticulating, obviously some of them were concerned about electrics and safety, and it still loooked not at all promising. Then Kernuyk appeared (I know them, my band supported them a few years ago, good bunch of lads), and I heard Rob the lead singer and guitarist, say 'what are the chances of us actually dying?' Obviously not that favourable, as soon after that the drum kit appeared on the stage, and it was obvious they were going ahead. Good on 'em! I reported back to the family via phone, and soon daughter and boyfriend appeared. My wife had brought her folding chair and took up a position on the promenade overlooking the stage. Kernuyk came on and performed a damn fine set, if a little shortened, at one point joined by Kernow King for a rendition of 'Pasties' (a rewrite of 'Peaches' by the Presidents of the United States of America-not the Stranglers) Off they go, and now the Stranglers crew get to work, as it's an hour until they are due on. At one point blokes with climbing gear scale the stage to put up extra weather screening. Daughter and boyfriend disappear, and I decide I quite like it where I am, and I'm going to stay put. I have my full Gore-tex waterproofs and warm hat on, and I'm ready to take whatever the weather can throw at me-which is quite a lot as there are still sporadic heavy showers coming in off the sea driven by the stong winds.
Gig time approaches, it's dark, and as 'Waltzinblack' starts up, it decides to start chucking it down again. The band come on, JJ and Baz all wrapped up in their coats, and it's straight into '5 Minutes'. The band are obviously finding the whole thing highly amusing, much grinning and laughter on stage. The sound was the best I've heard at a Stranglers gig for quite a while, the weather didn't detract at all, and I reckoned it was a cracking set-the first time for several years that I've been down the front, and I loved it-it could bucket down as hard as it liked, I was waterproof and in amongst all those bodies there was no chance of getting cold! The security staff were extremely professional, there was a young lad right behind me and they were continually checking to make sure he was OK-eventually he and his Mum had to be pulled out, as did several others. Baz was on good form, tickled at the fact that Showaddywaddy had played earlier on in the weekend as he remarked on it twice. JJ at one point advanced to the edge of the stage, in the middle of one of the frequent downpours, played the opening bars of 'Peaches' then stopped, as his fretboard was dripping wet! He started something else instead, I forget what-a few songs later, he had a roadie with an extremely poncey souvenir-shop see-through umbrella held over him as he started 'Peaches' again. The 'I can think of a lot worse places' section tonight was along the lines of 'like playing on a beach in the p*ssing down rain, at the end of an English Summer!' Naturally as 'Always the Sun' started another heavy downpour commenced! Highlights for me were my three favourites, 'Hanging around', 'Duchess' and 'Tank', the closer. Also a cracking version of 'Relentless'-I reckon if that had been written during the Hugh era that would now be regarded as a classic along with so many others of that time. Baz also remarked about the time he and JJ had spent in Looe a few years ago whilst writing new songs, and the 'secret' gig they did in a local pub, where the landlady couldn't resist telling the press, so the tiny place had about 200 people in it! There was much good humour on stage, the band were obviously enjoying themselves, and I thought the stand-in drummer did a decent job-although I preferred Ian Barnard's drumming personally.
Gig's end, and I emerge to find my wife soaked to the skin (despite my numerous exhortations, neither she nor my daughter had dressed adequately for the lousy conditions-my daughter and her boyfriend, also soaked, had retreated to the car some time ago. We get back to find the car won't start! Prime suspect is my daughter, who has been charging her mobile phone without the engine on. Thankfully we get the best service I've ever had from a breakdown organisation, within half an hour an RAC man has arrived, and gets us going, during the worst downpour of the night, within ten minutes! Superb service.
A shame the weather couldn't have cooperated for another day, but it failed to ruin an excellent gig, and despite the conditions I certainly had no complaints about the organisation of the event either-I got regular texts informing me of what was going on, the security was excellent and I though they, and the Stranglers, did a bleddy good job (me 'ansomes!)

Some good pics here:-

http://www.facebook.com/looemusic#!/med ... 191&type=3

Very brief Baz and JJ interview here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Lbwi2v ... e=youtu.be
Not as good as Ravenette's but I suppose it will do. Nah, only joking mate. Nice review!
Sweat and shite and blood!
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

you deserve a medal
rotten thoughts
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Another great Strang;ers gig, it was well worth getting soaked to the bone fantastic sound and I would say that the Stranglers have captured a few more younguns. too. Highlights for me were The Raven, Rise and Shut up.
selinacornwall
SHAKESPEARO

Post by selinacornwall »

Brilliant gig. I have been suffering from Stranglers Knee all day (for those young ones out there, this is a nasty condition caused by people who should probably know better finding the sudden urge to pogo to the sounds of No More Heroes). The young drummer did a great job but disappointed that he wasn't introduced. Anyone know who he is?
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

Sounds like a good time was had by all my best gig of the Suite XVI tour was at Helston :grin:
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Nice review. Can't quite believe an outdoor gig at this time of the year in this country though, especially this year!
Well done!
euromanc-ometh