The Globe Cardiff - 13th May 2010

Leave messages for other fans here

Moderator: StanInBlack

DeadRinger
SHAKESPEARO

The Globe Cardiff - 13th May 2010

Post by DeadRinger »

Just thought I would get the ball rolling on this one, looking forward to tonights gig, the Globe is a small venue so im hoping there might be some form of meet and greet with the fans...

Anyone else out there going?

DR (aka Andy)
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: The Globe Cardiff - 13th May 2010

Post by doninblack »

see also Hugh Touring 2010 thread...
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.
TWO SUNSPOTS
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by TWO SUNSPOTS »

Usually Hugh will go to the merch desk afterwards and sign stuff etc.
Freedom, there ain't no f**king freedom!!!!
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

TWO SUNSPOTS wrote:Usually Hugh will go to the merch desk afterwards and sign stuff etc.
I've just returned from this gig where two blokes standing in front of me were having an extraordinary amount of stuff, some of which had been bought on ebay, signed by Hugh. He squiggled his signature on the back of my ticket and I left him get back to chatting about all of the memorabilia this guy had turned up with.

A much better performance than when I saw him last in Cardiff at The Point. Having listened to the free download form Hugh's site I preferred the Hooverdam material in the first part to the second Rattus part of the gig.
TWO SUNSPOTS
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by TWO SUNSPOTS »

Niki Wu wrote:
TWO SUNSPOTS wrote:Usually Hugh will go to the merch desk afterwards and sign stuff etc.
I've just returned from this gig where two blokes standing in front of me were having an extraordinary amount of stuff, some of which had been bought on ebay, signed by Hugh. ...........

Have to admit that was me ! :grin:
Freedom, there ain't no f**king freedom!!!!
DeadRinger
SHAKESPEARO

Post by DeadRinger »

I also hounded Hugh with a load of stuff to sign, a mixture of vinyl and CDs:

I had a Japanese pressing Stranglers LP because its one of my rarer LPs
Nice N Sleazy 7" because thats where my collection started when my sister gave it to me when I was about 8 yrs old
Sverige (Sweden) the 7" Swedish pressing version
Hugh's Facts and Figures 7" single
Wired CD album
Sons of Shiva CD album
Hooverdam CD album
Guilty CD album (slipcase/postcard version) - Hugh kindly pointed me in the direction of some of the other guys who played on this album and they all signed it too.

I have such a vast collection it was really hard to pick which items to take along so I stuck to rarer or favourite items.

Really wanted to get the new tour album but I was a bit low on funds due to it being the last few days before payday plus I took my mate along as a treat for his birthday and kept him well stocked in drinks, that and clumsily knocking over some guys pint and buying him a fresh one (if your reading this sorry again!) - Spent out in all but a great night!

Took a load of pics, they dont seem to be too bad so I will try upload them soon.

DR
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

Any thoughts on the actual gig? :wink:
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.
The_Count
Down In The Sewer

Post by The_Count »

doninblack wrote:Any thoughts on the actual gig? :wink:
:lol: :lol:
DeadRinger
SHAKESPEARO

Post by DeadRinger »

Good point! haha

I like the venue, the Globe is a local night out for me and I have seen a fair few bands there, its nice small and personal with a good view of the stage in most places and no problem getting closer, Hugh even asked the audience to move closer right at the beginning because there was a large void between the stage and the crowd - He asked "is there something wrong with the front of the stage here or something?" after which everyone shuffled forward.

The stage itself is not very high so it adds to the closeness of the gig, the stage set-up consisted of the usual globe set up of various coloured dazzle lighting and a screened background projected on the wall.

Anyway, more importantly the set as expected consisted of the Hooverdam album played through then a short 10/15 minute break before the Rattus album, tbh before the gig I had been more eager about the Rattus part despite loving HD but the Dam material was great also and Stevie did a great job. He later went on to also do another great job filling in on some of JJ's old vocals on tracks such as Princess of the Street...aside from that his playing was faultless, he seemed to improvise a bit here and there and on occasions was looking over at Hugh's scales following what he did but a top notch job!

After the official set there was the encore of White room, always the sun & No more heroes which went down a storm.

Hugh was on good form with his crowd interaction speaking to the crowd about local lib dems, complaining about his ear piece and making a bit of lighthearted fun of the 'Caaaardiff' accent...(he also fitted into Peaches "Is she trying to get out of Cardiff?")

The sound was fairly tight but really amped up for such a small venue, probably didnt help that I was stood next to the main stack! - My left ear is still ringing worse than any other gig I have been to!

After gig meet and great followed where as mentioned I had my goodies signed, chatted briefly with all members and some of the additional players from the guilty album, had a pic taken then headed off for a take away. Top night.

DR
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

I decided to take my 18 yesr old son to see Hugh last night. He is a big Stranglers fan, but has never really got into Hugh's solo stuff - so I thought it was about time he was properly educated.

I found the sound a little muffled last night as it was so loud. I have heard much better sound quality from Hugh. Having said that the gig was brilliant. The Hooverdmn set was slightly faster than normal and played with real guts. There was a pink trainer shoe left on top of the speaker behind Steve, which I took to show an acknowledgement of Caz, which I thought was quite nice (although my interpretation may be wrong, of course!). After the break, Rattus was excellent. Once again the highlight was Ugly. For me, Steve didn't do well with the vocals on Princess of the Streets, but his bass playing was bang on form all evening. It was good to meet up with Two Sunspots again.

My son has now asked for the link to download the Hooverdam album, so he has, at last, also see the light. A great eveing's entertainment.
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

Good stuff, thanks for the reviews.

8)
This can't be undone

Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

I've just finished listening to the King Kong CD that I bought at the gig last night, and I must say that the quaity of the production is very good indeed. If you liked the quality of People Places Pieces, then you'll love this. Highly recommended if you are going to a gig.

Only one problem with my copy - the Rattus CD is damaged and Down in the Sewer doesn't play :cry: - if there is a kind sole out there that has got a cood copy of this track, I would be grateful if they could rip it from the CD and email it to me so I have the complete set. Cheers.