After seeing the UB40 news ...

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Just saw an advert for Ali Campbell at the weekend, contained the very familiar line:

"The Legendary Voice Of...UB40." :lol:

Sure I've seen a similar style wording somewhere else...
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
IamCoop
Rats Rally

Post by IamCoop »

'Signing on' is a great album.

all together now, 'Tyler is guilty, white judge has said so......'
'Stranglers - Cops Set To Move'
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: After seeing the UB40 news ...

Post by droopsnoot »

Just finished watching "Promises and Lies", the UB40 documentary. I hadn't realised there was so much financial argument within the band, I thought he'd just left. Turns out there was a big mystery over where all the money had gone, Ali left (and two others followed) and it's led to a family feud. As they're now arguing about which of them has the right to use the UB40 name because they're both advertising gigs using it, there's mention that it's cost each side £250k so far, with no resolution anywhere near in sight. I wonder if that's another reason that Hugh didn't kick off about the Stranglers continuing to use the name.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Yes i watched this documentary as well.
It was very very interesting, im not a big fan of UB40 there first few albums was good.
But watching that show and what was said i dont think any of the band have ripped each other off.
I think they blew the money on big stages and hangers on.

Ali Astro And Mikey to me seem to have a big chip about the money. I dont think the others have ripped them off, more like they blew there share and want more.
So sad to see such great friends and family fall out.
But thats Rock and Roll for you.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re:

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Organ Grinder wrote:Never could stand them. You either like that sorta thing or you don't - I thought the rhythm section lacked bollocks.
Always sounds like someone playing on biscuit tins . Awful crappy band(s) . Jim Davison impersonator as singer .
All quiet ..........
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

mickinblack wrote:Ali Astro And Mikey to me seem to have a big chip about the money. I dont think the others have ripped them off, more like they blew there share and want more.
So sad to see such great friends and family fall out.
But thats Rock and Roll for you.
I didn't get any sense that either side had been ripping the others off, perhaps poor management is to blame, along with having eight band members and a load more people while on the road and so on. Management would be the people who should be making it clear that they can't afford such a lavish show, but then the two later ones on the film (Bill Curbishley and the other chap) said the band members were always stoned in the meetings and never interested in actually achieving anything. But they couldn't find any trace of where any missing money went either. No mention of who was managing them before Bill C turned up (unless I missed that bit), but no "we asked him to participate but he wouldn't" either.

Not my kind of music at all, but an interesting documentary despite that. The singers voice irritates me, as much as anything else. But I never realised they were as big as they were, even when they had the Stranglers supporting them.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

UB40 are and were the only group I have ever walked out after 30 seconds,Bournemouth BIC in 2003 with The Stranglers supporting.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

You lasted that long?!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Greatkudu wrote:UB40 are and were the only group I have ever walked out after 30 seconds,Bournemouth BIC in 2003 with The Stranglers supporting.
I quite liked a few of their early singles,but that gig in 2003 was pain personified or what I saw of it.But each to their own,When I did my dramatic exit

some UB40 fans said "Is it that bad?" I replied "Yes",hate hurting peoples feelings but it was shocking.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Two or three bands really get my goat , I really hate with a vengeance . Dexy's, Annie Lennox and this lot ......the worst band in the world EVER , now there are two of the same band making them the worst 2 bands ever . I HATE UB40 , they should be made illegal - outlawed , banned , destroyed, obliterated for ever , written out of history , exterminated.
All quiet ..........
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

After seeing the UB40 news ...

Post by saminblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote:Two or three bands really get my goat , I really hate with a vengeance . Dexy's, Annie Lennox and this lot ......the worst band in the world EVER , now there are two of the same band making them the worst 2 bands ever . I HATE UB40 , they should be made illegal - outlawed , banned , destroyed, obliterated for ever , written out of history , exterminated.
Annie Lennox I fully get and UB40 are open to debate but you are way off base with Dexys. I think they are one of the best bands ever and they are an astonishing experience live.

With them it all comes down to the front man. Kevin Rowland is, in my humble opinion, one of only a handful of geniuses in modern music. Like many people I would give that term to he is bewilderingly inconsistent at times, says some incredibly dark and daft things and goes to some very weird places in his head and his music but when he delivers boy does he deliver.

The 'don't stand me down' album is one of the greatest albums ever made and is one of those elpees that I would definitely take to my imaginary desert island. It is a masterpiece.

I accept not everyone gets them Jon and music is of course horses for courses but to me the man is a thoroughbred and his band are superb.
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

early UB40 (until 84 or so) was a class reggae act I still enjoy those early albums
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came