After seeing the UB40 news ...

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: After seeing the UB40 news ...

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote:UB40 are and were the only group I have ever walked out after 30 seconds,Bournemouth BIC in 2003 with The Stranglers supporting.
Yeah, that's longer than I lasted, I left after The Stranglers when they were at MEN. Partly as I didn't think I'd like them so it wasn't worth hanging about, and partly because if I left early I could get a train back.

As I think about it, most of the songs I relate to them are actually covers. That said, I doubt I'd ever have heard "Red Red Wine" and the others if it hadn't been for UB40. Not entirely sure whether that's a good or bad thing.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

droopsnoot wrote:
Greatkudu wrote:UB40 are and were the only group I have ever walked out after 30 seconds,Bournemouth BIC in 2003 with The Stranglers supporting.
Yeah, that's longer than I lasted, I left after The Stranglers when they were at MEN. Partly as I didn't think I'd like them so it wasn't worth hanging about, and partly because if I left early I could get a train back.

As I think about it, most of the songs I relate to them are actually covers. That said, I doubt I'd ever have heard "Red Red Wine" and the others if it hadn't been for UB40. Not entirely sure whether that's a good or bad thing.
If you want to hear original songs massacred then its a good thing . I wouldn't even contemplate going to a gig with this lot in , even with Stranglers supporting , just couldn't do it .
All quiet ..........
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

saminblack wrote:
Jon the Impaler wrote:Two or three bands really get my goat , I really hate with a vengeance . Dexy's, Annie Lennox and this lot ......the worst band in the world EVER , now there are two of the same band making them the worst 2 bands ever . I HATE UB40 , they should be made illegal - outlawed , banned , destroyed, obliterated for ever , written out of history , exterminated.
Annie Lennox I fully get and UB40 are open to debate but you are way off base with Dexys. I think they are one of the best bands ever and they are an astonishing experience live.

With them it all comes down to the front man. Kevin Rowland is, in my humble opinion, one of only a handful of geniuses in modern music. Like many people I would give that term to he is bewilderingly inconsistent at times, says some incredibly dark and daft things and goes to some very weird places in his head and his music but when he delivers boy does he deliver.

The 'don't stand me down' album is one of the greatest albums ever made and is one of those elpees that I would definitely take to my imaginary desert island. It is a masterpiece.

I accept not everyone gets them Jon and music is of course horses for courses but to me the man is a thoroughbred and his band are superb.
The funny thing is I'm a native Brummie living in Essex these days . I knew Kev Rowland of Dexy's many years ago in passing as I lived opposite him - he was a complete and utter arsehole. Didn't like the band a he was a former punk who jumped ships ( mind you many did ) from a punk band Killjoys - to soul band Dexy's . Didn't like their music or him ..... PLUS ...at a Clash gig I saw the arsehole turn up and just jump ahead of the whole queue after dumping his land rover or range rover on the pavement . C*nt and a complete and utter one at that .
Didn't know any UB** people , but I just don't like the fake voice singing - Jim Davison pisstake to me .
All quiet ..........