Tom Waits

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ceebs
Rats Rally

Tom Waits

Post by ceebs »

Was intending on pciking up a few Tom Waits CDs seeing as Virgin/Zavvii are doing quite a few of them at a reasonable price. Anyone got any recommendations on which would be a good one to pick up first?
No dreams go in, no dreams go out, of the hole in his wrinkled head.
foolsrushout
Down In The Sewer

tom waits..

Post by foolsrushout »

My No 2 artist is mr waits, i saw him in 1980 and 1983 and was converted there and then..

The Old Piano and blues early LPs must haves are "small change" and "heartattack and vine" and the debut "closing time"

From the more experimental years " franks wild years" and "swordfishtrombones" and "raindogs" are my favorites

Tom like the stranglers constantly evolves and his latest stuff is fairly hardcore and only for the pureists !

I love it all ... but start early 70s and work your way through ...you will not find a more original , talented genious in the biz....enjoy! :grin:
wants to be left alone....
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Tom Waits for no man

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Samarkand
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Samarkand »

An alternative approach is to buy the following 2 'taster' compilation albums, and see what you like.
- Asylum Years covers the more melodic piano and guitar smoky bar-room blues of his earlier stuff.
- Beautiful Maladies - The Island Years is a later compilation covering the more bonkers stuff done on albums like Rain Dogs, Swordfishtombones etc
Samarkand
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

I'd go with the trinity of Rain Dogs, Swordfishtombones and Frank's Wild Years- they are, IMO, his very best work. Not to say that he isn't still coming up with the goods- he really hasn't made a bad album, and his more recent stuff has been brilliant and amongst my favourites too. He's the one artist I really wish I could get to see live, he's an amazing performer and his between song chatter is like a top notch stand up routine. If it's one album though, you can't go wrong with Beautiful Maladies, but the live album Big Time (and the video/DVD if you can get it) is fucken awesome.
You've really got a treat in store if you haven't heard him and I'm a wee bit jealous :lol:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'