Ultravox

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

punkr
Down In The Sewer

Ultravox

Post by punkr »

I am a big fan of the first two albhums, like someone said before me...they have a bit more of a punk sound.
Their first and second album are very reminicent of first Siouxsie, first Magazine, first Cure...in that,they were doing the 'post' Punk thing very early on.
No offence to anyone, but John Foxx Ultravox was a BAND, Midge Ures' Ultravox was a let down.
But then, I'm still a ripped jeans and t shirt kind of guy so what do I know?

Mega Thanks for the Ultravox link for the Peel and live stuff.Very cool.
I am the Walrus
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Roy Batty
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Roy Batty »

i saw ultravox at the penthouse in scarborough, fuckin ace legendary venue.... john foxx era, pissed all over the puffy poseur version , systems of romance is a brilliant album and still gets plenty of plays round our's... anyhoo, i still go see john foxx nowadays when he does gigs, he's still fuckin ace now, still way ahead of the rest of the electronic stuff, he does a few gigs with louis gordon and the last time i saw em i bought 'live from a room' cd... well worth buying...

it means nothing to me..... oh vienna!!!!

if it meant nothing to him, why the fuck did he write a song about it??
URGH URGH URGH URGH!!!!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I used to hate Vienna but I've got back into it - If you cut your way through the cheese it's actually a great powerful vocal.

Jim
Roy Batty wrote:i saw ultravox at the penthouse in scarborough, fuckin ace legendary venue.... john foxx era, pissed all over the puffy poseur version , systems of romance is a brilliant album and still gets plenty of plays round our's... anyhoo, i still go see john foxx nowadays when he does gigs, he's still fuckin ace now, still way ahead of the rest of the electronic stuff, he does a few gigs with louis gordon and the last time i saw em i bought 'live from a room' cd... well worth buying...

it means nothing to me..... oh vienna!!!!

if it meant nothing to him, why the fuck did he write a song about it??
johnpidgeon
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by johnpidgeon »

I'm slowly working on getting the CD's for some on my favourite albums from my teenage years.
I just got the 3 first Ultravox albums on CD. For some strange reason, I only had the 1st and 3rd album on vinyl.

I recently listed to a greatest hits from the M Ure years, but it felt a little stale.
john pidgeon
brampton, ontario
canada
wanderlust
The Raven
The Raven

Post by wanderlust »

THE ISLAND YEARS is a good starting point for people who want all of the FOXX era stuff under one roof.
"I had a dream or a nightmare difficult to decide which"
punkr
Down In The Sewer

Post by punkr »

Agree!...thats a great compilation.
Wrok Rock is an AWESOME song, filled with a lot of aggression.
WooHoo.
I am the Walrus
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm working my way through the back catalogue (starting from the middle and working backwards!) and there's a lot of tracks that I haven't heard for over 20 years. I used to play that compilation album they brought out in 1984 and played it to death but now songs like "Thin Wall" seem to sound loads better than I remembered. Maybe my appreciation of music has matured?

I also found a DVD of bootleg Ultravox stuff - It has Rockpalast, a documentary (on Ultravox style!?) and their TOTPs performances. I'm happy to start a tree if anyone interested.

Jim
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Not a big 'Vox fan - especially the Midge Ure years ('Vienna' period I just couldn't get into) - however, been listening to a couple of 'early tracks' I dug out from back in the day, when they were lumped into the New Wave/Punk genre. 'Young Savage' and 'Frozen Ones' - much preferable to the latter day material.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
puffinboots
SHAKESPEARO

ahhhhhh.....

Post by puffinboots »

Foxx was Ultravox. Period.
Wish some of the underground bands/sounds of the 80's would revitalise themselves somewhere on the TV or Radio - been downloading some old stuff recently and put together my all time top 20 of the 80's - strangs apart...if you had to make a CD album, type affair:

1. No GDM - Gina X
2. Back to Nature - Fad Gadget
3. Sex Beat - Gun Club
4. Welcome to the Monkey House - Animal Magnet
5. Memorabilia - Soft Cell
6. I'm your Money - Heaven 17
7. Europa & the pirate twins - Tom Dolby
8. Follow The Leader - Killing Joke
9. Vicious - Lou Reed (not 80's but roped in with the club scene)
10. Garbageman - Cramps
11. Westworld - Spear of Destiny
12. Cat People 12" - Bowie
13. Crow & a baby - H/League
14. Flowers of Romance - PiL
15. Genius of love 12" - Tom Tom Club
16. Moon Over Moscow - Visage
17. Changeling - Simple Minds
18. Juke Box Babe - Alan Vega
19. Story of the blues 12" - wah
20. Revolt into Style - Bill Nelson

and could probs add another 200 great tunes..
You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Love Ultravox and going against the grain - I'm not familiar with that much John Foxx era stuff.

Nothing wrong with the Midge era, at least 3 decent albums to go at. Just overlook the one without Warren Cann.

Wish I could have seen them in their prime.

I have Monument and the Collection on DVD. Powerful, emotive arrangements. Superb.
Let's Boogie
Andrew
Rats Rally

Post by Andrew »

Remember someone taped the Vienna album for me at a time when I'd only heard the title track and I thought it was an excellent album, totally surprised me. Bought Rage In Eden when it came out and there's some excellent tracks on there: Thin Wall (which I have on clear vinyl somewhere) was a standout, and it all seemed quite different to what else was around at the time. But they lost me with Quartet - bought it new and didn't play it much at all - seemed much more commercial. Haven't heard any of those albums for at least 20 years now.

Never heard any of the Foxx Ultravox songs, so will have to seek them out. Where to start?

By the way, the mention above of Bill Nelson's Revolt Into Style - what a classic that is!