Toyah, Toyah, Toyah

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Toyah, Toyah, Toyah

Post by Alan A Hillier »

I’m not sure how many of you could have seen this .

Fascinating in many ways for me not least to see again long forgotten TV advertisements which for some strange reason are instantly memorable (I suppose that means they did their job)

This was a very, very interesting time for me and I met a lot of very talented and interesting people. I spent a lot of time (and I mean a ‘lot ‘of my time) with Toyah and her boyfriend Tommy Taylor (my best mate) from 1980 to1983. Tom and I were playing, writing and recording all through the Toyah rise to fame and Tom’s studio was in the house he shared with her in Whetstone and we were there most nights.

This is a Fascinating insight to the early life of Toyah and the band.
Filmed in the autumn of 1980 and aired towards Christmas of 1980. I do appear briefly at the party at Mayhem (With various Finchley Boys dotted about) and Tom hams it up for the cameras asking Toyah for her autograph at a book signing at Woolworths (approx 37 mins in)

The Original band of Joel Bogen, Steve Bray, Charlie Francis and Pete Bush feature and I think they had something quite original in the early days.
Joel and I (And Phil Spalding) went on to work together in 1983/84. Steve Bray became a really good mate (Joel still is a great mate……who still lives in Finchley) who joined stadium band ‘Trapeze’ for a while (Recording the album Dead Armadillo’s. live in Austin Texas) and eventually formed a band (As guitarist and singer) called Peep Show (Which my brother John managed). Interestingly enough I met Steve Bray at a party and was instantly drawn to him. Within a few minutes we both realised that we were both born at 9am on March 17th 1958…….

Spooky Huh

So many stories from these days……………

Al

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SDFzD9VA6E
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
Arthurlee
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Arthurlee »

Brilliant..thx Mr H
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Gosh not only were you and your mate born at exactly the same time but you discovered this within minutes of meeting one another. Are you sure you're not telling porkies?
Have you looked at your birthcharts?

I saw a copy of the book of illustrations that were shown and talked about by Toyah many moons ago and yes they were very disturbing.
How deep?
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Used to have 'Sheep Farming in Barnet' EP - much preferred this stuff to 'Ith A Mythtery' period Toyah.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

I've still got a soft spot for Toyah.
Of course years ago it was a lot harder.
Probably down to old age.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Interesting documentary etc

Gotta say that I never got into Toyah's music though. Utter bollox imho.

Only time I ever saw her was with The Stranglers @ The Rainbow sans Hugh. Destroyed a couple of classics to boot! :evil:

Good call though, Al :!: ;-)
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

My ol' man likes her - a great reason for me NOT to!!!

8)

ThruBeingCool wrote:Interesting documentary etc

Only time I ever saw her was with The Stranglers @ The Rainbow sans Hugh. Destroyed a couple of classics to boot! :evil:

http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Radar

Post by Radar »

C r a s s ! wrote:My ol' man likes her - a great reason for me NOT to!!!

8)

ThruBeingCool wrote:Interesting documentary etc

There's a good boy.......rebellious to the end .....do what your daddy didn't do........if he liked cornflakes i bet you went with shreddies just to piss him off .......what runk pocker you are
Get on with it
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

My Dad skins dead rabbits in the kitchen and eats them. (After all the innards are taken out and the flesh is cooked, I might add).

Never got into this meself.....nowt to do with being rebellious towards my parents, I hasten to add.. :smt025
Radar

Post by Radar »

ThruBeingCool wrote:My Dad skins dead rabbits in the kitchen and eats them. (After all the innards are taken out and the flesh is cooked, I might add).

Never got into this meself.....nowt to do with being rebellious towards my parents, I hasten to add.. :smt025
I think i could get to like your old man..quality butchers are few and far between

Riiiiiiiiispecccccccccct Mr senior Thru
Get on with it
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Radar wrote:
I think i could get to like your old man..quality butchers are few and far between

You should have seen him doing the business with a 'live' turkey on xmas eve circa 1976/77 :shock:
Radar

Post by Radar »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
Radar wrote:

You should have seen him doing the business with a 'live' turkey on xmas eve circa 1976/77 :shock:
i would have liked that very much...was it still alive when you eat it???
Get on with it