Stranglers Mark 1 reformation rumours.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Frank Castle
The Man They Love To Hate

Stranglers Mark 1 reformation rumours.

Post by Frank Castle »

With regards to a Mark 1 Reunion,I think we should put this one to bed once and for all it won't happen.For one it would be a kick in the balls to Baz,the guy who in my opinion saved the band.I spoke to Baz in Arran about all the rumours going around,and he made it perfectly clear if this happened he would walk.

Also there is too much bad blood between Hugh and JJ,you don't have to be a genius to suss out who "I Hate You" is directed at.To highlight this whilst JJ was signing my collection in Arran he noticed Hughs signature and made many comments about him(quite funny actually).I think JJ does genuinely hate Hugh now,it has reached the point of no return....let sleeping dogs lie.

We should enjoy the band in the now,nostalgia is one thing but we all have to move on.Remember the Hugh days fondly by all means,but life goes on.And personally the people who want a reformation are the ones who did'nt see Mark 1,well shit happens.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

JJ himself said he wouldn't do it with Baz in the band so I think we're all agreed on that one for the time being

Is there anyone who didn't see MKI? Can't think of any apart from Grinder and I've never heard him asking for a MK1 reunion.

Who are these people you mention?!!! And not only that where are these MK1 rumours coming from? Not heard any media rumours recently - well not for the Stranglers anyway - every band but them!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

A few people have mentioned it on "Jam to reform" thread,so I take it some are still hoping for one,but as we both agree it won't happen.

I thought there was more people on board who had'nt seen Mark 1,I stand corrected.
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

Perhaps the word rumours was too strong,change that to talk.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

theraven1979 wrote: Is there anyone who didn't see MKI? Can't think of any apart from Grinder and I've never heard him asking for a MK1 reunion.

Jim
Can't say for sure, but I don't reckon LukeJade has seen Mk1 either.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Nope, I never saw MK.1.... not overly gutted because the only MK1 era that really lit my fires was the first 4 years, after that they turned into a milky cappachino version of The Stranglers.... they still did some good tunes but if you asked me whether I'd take the Greatest Hits or The Collection 77-82 onto the proverbial desert island it'd be the later. And if you pitched Greatest Hits against a combination of Norfolk and Suite I'd take the later yet again.

Hugh in '77 is so far removed from Hugh now that quite frankly (and I know this upsets some people here so apologies) I'm not interested in him rejoining although a one off reunion gig would excite me no end, just so I can say I saw the original line up. But even so, it's not like Hanging Around would fuck the sky out like at Guildford '78 is it? It'd be a stodgy affair with plenty of characature vocal stylings from Shuggie in the "hairging arooo" vien.... I can hear it now!

So give that dog another mogadon.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

I never saw them.
Just one of those things, no-one else was that fussed on them and I was a bit too young to go on my own.
How deep?
PjInBlack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by PjInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote:JJ himself said he wouldn't do it with Baz in the band so I think we're all agreed on that one for the time being

Is there anyone who didn't see MKI? Can't think of any apart from Grinder and I've never heard him asking for a MK1 reunion.

Who are these people you mention?!!! And not only that where are these MK1 rumours coming from? Not heard any media rumours recently - well not for the Stranglers anyway - every band but them!

Jim
i ain't seen mk1, i was only 6 months old when hugh left!
got dvd's of late hugh gigs but they dont seem half as good as seeing them in cambridge and norwich last october - class stuff
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Stranglers Mark 1 reformation rumours.

Post by Frederik »

Frank Castle wrote:To highlight this whilst JJ was signing my collection in Arran he noticed Hughs signature and made many comments about him(quite funny actually).I think JJ does genuinely hate Hugh now,it has reached the point of no return....let sleeping dogs lie.
A bit petty of JJ as he wouldn't be where he is or been where he's been without Hugh. Probably works the other way round too - but there you go :roll:
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

"Two monks were once travelling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was falling. Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.
"Come on, girl," siad the first monk. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.
The second monk did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females," he said. "It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"
"I left the girl there,: the first monk said. "Are you still carrying her?"
"

Zen Koan.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

To me I think the worse thing about this whole debate is the people who seem to know that it will never happen and if it does they won't be there. Of course it could happen, and if it does you would be right at the front screaming like you're 15 again - Don't lie!

I can take it or leave it but if it happens - of course I'll be there. I'm not gonna hold my breath for it to happen but by the same token I'm not gonna knock em if it does. They've done worse things IMO.

Jim
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

To which the monk replied....

"Yeah I've got her number and I'm planning on shagging her up the dirtbox later this evening you cunt"

Jim
Alias wrote:"Two monks were once travelling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was falling. Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.
"Come on, girl," siad the first monk. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.
The second monk did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females," he said. "It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"
"I left the girl there,: the first monk said. "Are you still carrying her?"
"

Zen Koan.