The Godfathers on You Tube

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jcinblack
Rats Rally

Post by jcinblack »

johnpidgeon wrote:Hey, if Jet (Australia) can be a huge band so why can't the Godfathers make it!
Because life is cruel.
Nice to meet you too TBC
FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by FenDale »

I first saw them as The Sid Presley Experience in 1985 on a "Red Wedge" tour with Billy Bragg and Porky The Poet (aka Phil Jupitus!) and they were fantastic. Saw The Godfathers many, many times in the late 80s/early 90s and they are without doubt one of the best 2 or 3 live bands I've ever seen (along with The Stranglers and the Spear of Destiny line up of Kirk Brandon, Stan Stammers, Dolphin Taylor, Alan St. Clair, Micky Donnely and Neil Pyzer)

Their legacy is still with us, notwithstanding the revival next February - have a listen to The Kaiser Chiefs and "Na, Na, Na, Na, Na" in particular could easily be The Godfathers. Must be why I quite like the Kaiser Chiefs :wink:
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

FenDale wrote: ...they are without doubt one of the best 2 or 3 live bands I've ever seen (along with The Stranglers and the Spear of Destiny line up of Kirk Brandon, Stan Stammers, Dolphin Taylor, Alan St. Clair, Micky Donnely and Neil Pyzer)
Fucken good call mate, one of the best gigs I've seen was SOD with that line up at Strathclyde uni, early '80's.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

The Godfathers are back on........

VALENTINE'S DAY

8)
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

This is brilliant news,about fucking time I say.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

More U.K.dates needed though!

Not travelling down to London midweek..Valentine's Day :smt049 or not :!:
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate »

Just got back from the Godfathers at the forum, what a great gig. The venue was a bit ambitious unfortunately and was half full downstairs at best. Several Stranglers fans in attendance (including Dale) & they even had Max Bisgrove on the sound like the old days. They came on to the Persuaders theme & played a great set taken from all the albums (including the classic 'When am I coming down?'). They did their standard cover of Cold Turkey but also covered Anarchy in the UK & Blitzkrieg Bop. It was the full original line up including Kris Dollimore who haven't played together for 19 years! The old Peter Coyne venom was still there & his voice is still the same too.
During a quick chat with Max after the gig, I suggested he call a manager of a certain other band to recommend the Godfathers as the support for the planned Autumn tour. Be interesting if anything comes of it....
Maybe you should have made the trip after all TBC!!!!!
Did someone say "Wonky"?
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Nice one Owen, sounds like a great gig.

Not really surprised at the attendance though. Were they really that big in the first place?.

I know that Valentines Day is a traditional 'Godfathers' event but they would have done better playing on a weekend as it's a bit of a come back thing this time. IMHO. Like I told ya,I would have had to have taken 2 days off work to attend a London midweek gig - just not viable and I'm sure there are many other fans in the same situation.

Still, let's hope there's more gigs and hopefully their back catalogue getting released! :idea:

See ya in Buxton btw :?:
FenDale

Post by FenDale »

They would have filled The Forum at the time of Birth, School, Work, Death but it was still a decent crowd on Thursday night, although with plenty of room to swing a pint!

Great set, much as I remembered from the last time I saw that line up play although then I think they came on to The Sweeney rather than The Persuaders in those days!

Good gig and a very interesting chat with Owen on the tube afterwards where he said about The Godfathers as an ideal support act to The Stranglers (already done it at Ally Pally of course!) and I have to agree although personally I'd need to take plenty of vitamins before the evening as I'd never make it through both sets un-scathed at my age!!
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
jcinblack
Rats Rally

Post by jcinblack »

The Godfathers were awesome.
The Stranglers would have to support them.
Sad but true.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

jcinblack wrote:The Godfathers were awesome.
The Stranglers would have to support them.
Sad but true.
I have no problem with that.
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

The Stranglers and The Godfathers what a combination. :smt035