Leonard Cohen

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Leonard Cohen

Post by theraven1979 »

I was reminded of Leonard Cohen's "First We Take Manhatten" the other night as Mark Radcliffe gave it a spin. Great deep vocal delivery, bit of a cheesey song in parts but I can remember it being out. Not really familiar with any of his work - any good?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Not bad. I got just the one of his CD's-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 16-6184741
janek
Rats Rally

Re: Leonard Cohen

Post by janek »

theraven1979 wrote:I was reminded of Leonard Cohen's "First We Take Manhatten" the other night as Mark Radcliffe gave it a spin. Great deep vocal delivery, bit of a cheesey song in parts but I can remember it being out. Not really familiar with any of his work - any good?
some of his songs are great. get a best of CD and check for yourself. not everybody likes the style of his, but everybody must admit that it's interesting, and the songs have good lyrics
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I've listened on an off to Leonard. His last studio album was great. Just went to the CD rack to find the name of it but it's not there. :?
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

You can't beat a bit of Laughing Len. Classic songs, especially the earlier funny ones. The Greatest Hits is good, as is the 1st album, "The Songs Of...". A good intro might be the tribute album that was out a good few years ago, called...em....I'm Your Fan, some good updated versions of his songs on that. Somebody used his name on the board recently to illustrate the old "slit yer wrists" music cliche- lot of pish- he's clever and funny as fuck a lot of the time too.

Amazon_co_uk I'm Your Fan the Songs of Leonard Cohen Music
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

Yep I'm a big leonard cohen fan - he's cynical, smart and no bullshit...start of with a greatest hits thing as a sampler.
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Cheers guys - Didn't expect many Cohen fans on here - will pick up the "Greatest Hits" and start from there.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Free preview in full of new Leonard Cohen album "Old Ideas" on Guardian online. By the sounds of it, it is well worth the wait.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... MUSTXT9383

enjoy.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
nbm
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by nbm »

Saw him two years ago at Madison Square Garden. One of the best shows I've ever seen. 75 years old at the time and played for around 2 1/2 hours.

This album was recorded on the same tour. Highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-London-Leona ... B001RTP3YQ
davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidcassell »

I'm a huge fan on Cohen. He's brill, such fine songs, especially the earlier ones. Dance me to end of love is one of my all time faves, as is Avalanche, as is...
he's just great. Cheers Dave
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

nbm wrote:Saw him two years ago at Madison Square Garden. One of the best shows I've ever seen. 75 years old at the time and played for around 2 1/2 hours.

Went to see him in Valencia, it was however abandoned after 20 mins due to Leonard taking ill with a bout of food poisoning. I did see him in Dublin about 22 years ago and even got to briefly meet him after the concert. Hope to catch him on his forthcoming tour, he has hinted he will do the Valencia gig again.

The new album´s great.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

It was actually 1988 he played the Dublin Stadium, 24 years ago :-? . Of course in those days Leonard was just a 53 year old kid with a crazy dream. :grin:
unbroken69 wrote:
nbm wrote:Saw him two years ago at Madison Square Garden. One of the best shows I've ever seen. 75 years old at the time and played for around 2 1/2 hours.

Went to see him in Valencia, it was however abandoned after 20 mins due to Leonard taking ill with a bout of food poisoning. I did see him in Dublin about 22 years ago and even got to briefly meet him after the concert. Hope to catch him on his forthcoming tour, he has hinted he will do the Valencia gig again.

The new album´s great.